View Single Post
Unread 12/03/2006, 08:15 PM   #12
electric130
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CyclistMT
As an example, I want to have a mixed reef (softies, LPS, SPS, anemone) which comes with it's own challenges but obvously lighting will be key. I have to have MH (becuase I can't live without the shimmer) but I refuse to put in 400w bulbs. Originally I was thinking of using 175w because I think I could get away with it but ultimately 250w bulbs won't add significantly to the monthly electric bill. A couple bucks at most. That being said, there may be some SPS I won't be able to keep because I simply won't have enough light. See what I mean about trade offs? T5s would offer as good as performance at less overall watts likely but again, I need the shimmer.
how deep is your 150? unless it's 36" or deeper, you won't need 400's for anything. i kept all kinds of SPS and clams under 175's at the bottom of a 90 gallon (24" deep) and they did great. 250's would be plenty for most tanks with 400's being a last resort for really deep tanks. i had 400's before and IMO, they put off way more heat than the extra light they add. i think 250's are the most "efficient" lighting choice if you want MH's.

Current Tank Info: None
electric130 is offline   Reply With Quote