Thread: My new lagoon
View Single Post
Unread 11/20/2005, 10:59 PM   #3
graveyardworm
Registered Member

For the substrate I had two 5 gallon buckets of stuff left over from a prevous setup this was a mix of caribsea reef grade, and crushed coral. I probably wouldnt have used it in a reef setup but given that this will have seagrass I thought the extra nutrients would be beneficial. On top of that I placed 2 5 gallon buckets of southdown from a previous setup, this stuff was well rinsed. On top of that I poured in 3 or 4 fresh bags of southdown. In the 30 gallon breeder I have a couple bags of southdown. The refugium is not set up yet as you can see space is tight in this room, and I still need to get top off and change water barrels, and eventually at least temporarily my 90 gallon tank. The details for fuge will be worked out this week I havent decided on whether or not to place a sand bed in there as I do not plan to feed this tank with anything other than phyto. Heres a shot with salt and substrate in.

Man thats cloudy next time substrate goes in first. I turned my return pump off and used powerheads to circulate individual tanks to reduce silt in sump as well as adding hang on filters to each tank to reduce silt. Once the tanks started to clear I turned on return pump and started wet skimming. The tanks are still alittle cloudy but I suspect that once the bacteria kick in it will quickly clear up. I just tested ammonia and its at .25 so the wait begins.

There’ll be no one to save, with the world in a grave

Current Tank Info: 100 gal lagoon/seagrass, 100 gal sump, Lifereef 72" skimmer, 180 inwall, 125 inwall seagrass/lagoon in progress
graveyardworm is offline   Reply With Quote