View Single Post
Unread 06/27/2005, 11:54 PM   #9
ReefMeister2
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
How did you hook it up to your fridge? Can you use a reducer to go up in size? For example, the usual RO/DI tubing is pretty small however the input on my fridge is twice as big. Any recommendations?
Yes, Home Depot and Lowe's both carry adapters for almost any size. Some refrigerator icemakers have a standard gardenhose thread in the backside...inwhich case you'd use the adapter in the fourth photograph in the this thread ("garden hose adapter")
If it is any other size, then simply purchase that size adapter sized to mate with a standard 1/4" thread fitting. I personally like to use 3/8" compression and a 10 foot stainless steel braided hose (only about $10 at HD) but 1/4" will work just fine too. You can run the plastic tubing all the way to the fridge if you like, it is just a matter of choice. The braided hose will give you more durability of course (cut, pinch, abrasion resistance) so I try to use it anywhere water lines run "inside" the house.

Quote:
I would not of used brass fittings at all after your output brass is made with copper
Yea, I struggled over that decision for awhile before choosing "durability" over the small possibility of contamination. I estimate that the amount of residual copper that could possibly leech out of a couple of brass fittings must be so minute that it is not even worth making it an issue to be concerned about. Especially if they are flushed real well before using them.

ReefMeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote