View Single Post
Unread 01/16/2016, 08:06 PM   #32
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat21 View Post
Are that many formalin baths necessary? Seems like overkill. But I have no idea what I'm talking about. My next formalin bath will be my first. But I am going to implement a similar quarantine procedure moving forward.
I have cured a full blown Brooklynella infection on a clownfish with one single dip and transfer. Though sometimes it may require more.

If the goal is prevention without the fish showing actual symptoms I would only do one dip - the one at arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrapp View Post
... But I don't know how one would do a formalin dip upon arrival since you would want to match the formalin dip salinity to the salinity of the shipping/LFS water. .
It is done easy:

1. take the fish out of the bag and place them into a container. Take just as much water from the bag as is needed for the fish to swim. in the container.
Ideally you use a graduated container or one you have metered out and marked yourself so you know which volume you have at a certain fill level.

2. drip acclimate the fish to your QT water until you reach the mark. With my standard container it's 1/2 gallon, but you may use whatever is required for your fish.

3. if not already in it, add a air bubbler or small pump and then add the appropriate dose of formalin (20 drops per gallon). Keep an eye on the fish during the bath and pull them if they show signs of distress.

4. after 30 to 50 minutes (I always go 45) move the fish over to the QT.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote