Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 06/06/2019, 11:19 AM   #918
SaltySully
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks Kevin! I had a scare with one of the blennies yesterday. It was doing the death spiral! I was immediately filled with dread. Then I noticed something on it. A bulge or something. It was some kind of fish lice, I think. I got a net ready to catch it and remove it with tweezers. But I wasn't ever able to catch it. This morning I expected it to be dead, but it wasn't. The lice was gone and the blenny seemed good as new! It ate with it's usual gusto, so I'm hopeful. Now I wonder if fish lice were the culprit with previous deaths. I also wonder if the lice left something behind, like babies. I guess I will watch and wait, which is pretty much what I've done with these fish, since the previous wipeout.

Good info on the dusky. I'll keep that in mind.

I got some damsels into QT. Two of the Neons already appear to have Uronema. The rest look good though.

I think what will run me out of this hobby is the trend of less and less healthy fish being sold to us consumers. It's demoralizing. It makes me feel like a loser. It didn't use to be this way. Now, you can't even be assured that damsels will be healthy. Something needs to change. Is captive breeding the answer? I don't know, but if quality control is not improved, I think this hobby is doomed.

Sorry for the depressing rant, but I think it is high time we all spoke up. If more of us chime in, maybe something will be done before it's too late.
The fish come to the stores faster than before, so there is less die off in shipping, but more sick fish to the end user. There is also more demand than before so fish move faster from wholesaler to retail so less time in medicated tankes at the wholesaler.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

SaltySully is offline   Reply With Quote