Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2007, 06:37 PM   #51
Toygrr
Registered Member

good job xD :P

well guess what? The Clarkii is hosting in the new clear-ish torch coral i bought. he dips in and out, then gets scared by me and goes behind the rocks...but hes doin well. Ill try sneakin a couple pictures on him when hes not lookin :P

oh i been meaning to ask you, is there a certail filter pad i can get to get rid of micro bubbles out of my tank? the skimmer makes quite a few, and i read on it, i need to let it break in by putting the cup up higher. But ive had it for about 2 weeks, soo...if you could help that'd be cool :P

People suck, animals are awesome. Prove me wrong.

Current Tank Info: 20g Display, 10g Fuge, Soft coral, couple fish and stars, Halides/LED/PC's, 3 years old.
Toygrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2007, 05:46 PM   #52
Toygrr
Registered Member

So today i went to the LFS and got a pretty big and beautiful Hammer, who's now getting used to his new home. But hes healthy and only $50 so i scored. The guy also saved me a Giant (but still pretty small) Mushroom anemone with 2 little Sexy shrimp that host in it. I got that for about $50 also which i was hesitant about but i like supporting this small business and i regret nothing. But they're all going good along with the old torches i have and that "flower pot" (who still needs to be named). All fish are going good as well.

Current Tank Info: 20g Display, 10g Fuge, Soft coral, couple fish and stars, Halides/LED/PC's, 3 years old.
Unread 12/17/2007, 05:52 PM   #53
Toygrr
Registered Member

Oh i did my reasearch, its called Alveopora and hes NEON GREEN, beautiful coral.

Unread 12/17/2007, 09:40 PM   #54
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Couldn't tell you on the microbubbles. All my skimmers were hang-on sump.

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 02:18 PM   #55
scottydo
Registered Member

Looks good.

scottydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 06:00 PM   #56
Toygrr
Registered Member

well im making a sump/fuge within 2 weeks, next paycheck ill go the crappy way and buy an ext. overflow. You know if they're any good? Oh and i got some more pics with a friend's camera, so ill put em on her within 30mins to an hour.

Unread 12/18/2007, 08:11 PM   #57
Toygrr
Registered Member

Heres the pix

One of the 2 sexy shrimps
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hammer Coral

Green Torch

Mr.Blenny again

Alveopora

Unread 12/18/2007, 08:11 PM   #58
Toygrr
Registered Member

Full tank Shot

Right side

Left Side

Front

Blue Damsel

Unread 12/18/2007, 08:22 PM   #59
Toygrr
Registered Member

Turbo Snail

"Mr.Funny Shoes II"

Hammer Again

White Torch

Snail & Pump

Unread 12/18/2007, 08:57 PM   #60
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

I would hesitate on the overflow. It's for a sump, right? If this is just for the microbubbles, there are better ways to solve the problem. There are several Remora mods you can do and there are a lot of people willing to help on the diy forum. JMO

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Unread 12/18/2007, 09:18 PM   #61
scottydo
Registered Member

Nice pics - I cannot see the shrimp though.

Unread 12/18/2007, 10:01 PM   #62
Toygrr
Registered Member

well id like to setup a fuge for copopods for the scooter blenny. But also to hide the heater, filter, protein skimmer...

you know just for a better overall look. can you send me a link to the remora mods ? or which DIY forum, nano, general DIY?

Unread 12/18/2007, 10:03 PM   #63
Toygrr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottydo
Nice pics - I cannot see the shrimp though.
Look for a few little white spots (on the shrimps body)between the 2 stalks of the white torch.

Unread 12/18/2007, 10:22 PM   #64
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Under "General Interest Forums"

Nice pictures. I can't find out how to adjust my mom's camera. (too lazy to read the book)

Unread 12/18/2007, 10:52 PM   #65
Toygrr
Registered Member

lol XD

alright im on an epic quest! Im curious to see, but i still wanna set up a sump, i found a 137 gph @ 4ft/190 gph @ 2ft pump in my backyard...so ill use that, but i wanted to know, with a say CPR overflow, how does the syphon restart itself when the water gets too low then fills up again?

Unread 12/19/2007, 10:34 AM   #66
mahalamata
Registered Member

i have never used an overflow box.always have had my tanks drilled...but i believe that if setup properly then if the water level drops the overflow box retains its vacuum between the inside and outside box.i could be wrong tho.
good looking start though.i have always had a sump on my tanks.
1)hide all the ugly equipment out of sight.
2)increases total water volume(always a good thing)
3)allows you start a fudge

good luck and keep the pics coming.looks like you're on a good start!

4x24w t5 luminare(2x14K marine white,1xactinic,1x 10k)
Tunze DOC 9002 skimmer
Koralia 1

Current Tank Info: 30g nano
mahalamata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 12:15 PM   #67
mokujin22
Registered Member

The CPR overflow works with something called an Aqualifter Pump. It's a small diaphragm pump which sucks air/water out of the top or the weir to maintain the syphon. I have one and to be honest.. have had mixed results. The Aqualifter tends to clog up and this sometimes leads to water on the floor.

However, like most other reef tank equipment, if you maintain it and give it a good cleaning from time to time, you shouldn't have a problem. If you get one, make sure you get the small filter made for the pump. It's like $3 and will save you from mopping up the floor.

The think I like most about my sump (besides my fuge) is the auto topoff I have built. It's money in terms of lower maintenance and stability of the system. I build the sump out of a 10 gallon tank for about $30 using ideas from Melev's site.

Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 110 Afr Cichlid, 45 Planted, 26 Reef, 20L turtle, 29 Planted, 8 Biocube (in the works)
mokujin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 01:03 PM   #68
scottydo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toygrr
Look for a few little white spots (on the shrimps body)between the 2 stalks of the white torch.
Ah yes, I see it now.

Unread 12/19/2007, 08:05 PM   #69
Toygrr
Registered Member

Mahalamata thats why i need one, that plus to get icky microbubbles out of my tank.

Mokujin, thanks because ive been wondering about cpr overflows, but is the aqualifter necessary? the part i dont get is how with a syphon setup, how does it syphon more when the water level raises, pressure? And yeah im doing the same, 10g sump and taking melev's ideas :P i was gonna drill it, but hastily filled up the tank too soon :|...But i was thinking of setting up a temporary tank so i could drill my current one and gluing an overflow over the hole, not sure yet tho, wouldnt want to ruin the work ive done.

And scottydo, isnt he cool lookin? hes like less than an inch long, maybe 1cm...same with his sibling.

Unread 12/19/2007, 08:12 PM   #70
mikellini
Registered Member

I believe that the coral you've labeled as a 'white torch' is in fact a frogspawn coral. And the 'flowerpot' coral looks like a blastomussa to me, but hey, I could be wrong...

Looks great with some coral in there. I bet it's even better in person. Euphyllia corals are pretty much my favourite... keep up the good work, and the posts!

mikellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 08:27 PM   #71
reefman13
Registered Member

You have got a great little setup here. There are a few things that I would like to submit my $0.02 on.

>1. On your photographs, I can tell that you are using the flash on most of them. This is going to significantly wash out the colors in the corals and fish. The wave lengths of light that the corals emitt, is almost like, 'delicate'. And the powerful camera flash destroys those wave lengths and doesn't allow them to reach the lens of the camera. So what I would recommend doing, is to stop using the flash, and if you aren't all ready, start using a tripod. This will give more stable pics when not using the flash.

>2. I hope that you are constantly stocked up on live foods, because that Scooter, feeds primarily on small shellfish living amongst the rock work. And this needs to be supplemented in the home aquarium with at least live brine shrimp.

Hope that helps

Again, great looking tank!

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2007, 08:29 PM   #72
Toygrr
Registered Member

well the white torch isn't actually "White Torch" its just a white colored torch coral, i dont think its frogspawn because its usually a green color like the other torch i have, but it also has the frogspawn shaped tenticles...so im unsure as well. And im posative that the "Flower Pot" is an "Alveopora" google image search it, trust me its the same, but thanks for mentioning that.

Oh and i did some reasearch, is the AquaC Remora a bad skimmer? because it was recomended to me by like 3 people, and people say its ineffeicient, but i think its alright, i get a tea colored to a dark colored skimmate every 1-2 days. But i think ill mod it to fit in my sump when i make it, maybe attach a mag drive on it xD.

Unread 12/19/2007, 08:33 PM   #73
Toygrr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13
You have got a great little setup here. There are a few things that I would like to submit my $0.02 on.

>1. On your photographs, I can tell that you are using the flash on most of them. This is going to significantly wash out the colors in the corals and fish. The wave lengths of light that the corals emitt, is almost like, 'delicate'. And the powerful camera flash destroys those wave lengths and doesn't allow them to reach the lens of the camera. So what I would recommend doing, is to stop using the flash, and if you aren't all ready, start using a tripod. This will give more stable pics when not using the flash.

>2. I hope that you are constantly stocked up on live foods, because that Scooter, feeds primarily on small shellfish living amongst the rock work. And this needs to be supplemented in the home aquarium with at least live brine shrimp.

Hope that helps

Again, great looking tank!
Oh i know, i wasnt prepared at all, using my friend's digital camera xD i need to charge my film one. On a couple of pics i didn't use the flash, but ill stop using it..And i didn't know about the light thing, so thanks! And the scooter blenny is doing good on the frozen brine shrimp, its a little extra work, but i syringe feed him, he comes straight to my hand when i stick the syringe in the tank now xD. But when i get my fuge/sump setup then ill stok it with bottled copopods and hope they go into the tank. Thanks for the suggestions tho!

Unread 12/19/2007, 09:19 PM   #74
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh and i did some reasearch, is the AquaC Remora a bad skimmer? because it was recomended to me by like 3 people, and people say its ineffeicient, but i think its alright, i get a tea colored to a dark colored skimmate every 1-2 days. But i think ill mod it to fit in my sump when i make it, maybe attach a mag drive on it xD.
The Remora is a goog skimmer. I had the nano version on my sump for my 10 gallon. No mods to get it to fit. You shouldn't have to mod yours to fit.

I had mine set up for the skimmer's output to empty on the drip-plate and through the bio-balls which eliminated the microbubbles.

Unread 12/19/2007, 09:59 PM   #75
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Quote:
But when i get my fuge/sump setup then ill stok it with bottled copopods and hope they go into the tank. Thanks for the suggestions tho!
Don't get bottled pods from oceanpods.com. Can't remember what I paid, it's been awhile, it was a very small bottle and I could only see about four pods and they were about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.