Reef Central Online Community
Champion Lighting

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/19/2007, 08:16 PM   #1
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Red face My 110 Thread

I have been plannin this upgrade for about 1 year. Its been a matter of waiting for the right time and the right scenario. Needless to say things have progressed smoothly and I will skip the gory details. The tank is a 110 AGA tank, with a custom stand, built by my father and designed and reinforced by me. The canopy is also a custom design, and is 18 inches tall. The gives additional clearance for my lights without much residual heat and allow the light to spread yet reach the deepest reaches of the tank.

The guts are powered by a Quiet One 6000, over 1500 GPH, with one slight mod to give an additional 200 GPH. Its a bit of overkill but didnt want to skimp on flow. The sump is a 40 gallon custom acrylic sump/fuge. I was going to split it and have a refugium, but after careful evaluation I decided to use the section for two skimmers, a CS65 (coralife), and a Tunze 9005, from the looks of it the skim at different levels, one seems to capture heavy particles and the other very minute particles. Either way I would rather over skim, than underskim I also have a uv sterilizer and plan to as a phosphate reactor and another reactor running calcium. I will add the fuge at a later date using a ten gallon or 20 gallon breeder.

I transfered all my rock and some of my sand from the other tank. I found the sand in the old tank a bit yucky, but after a brief rinse and skim in some fresh salt water it didnt look so bad. My sandbed now sits about 4-5 inches deep. I also transferred about 100-110 pounds of rock. odly enough it doesnt look like enough....I will probably be getting another 50 pounds in short order, I dont want it packed however just enough to fill out a few spaces. I have been researching and my intentions are to have a true "mixed" reef. and stuffing it with rock = les space for corals to grow.

Thats it for now...tomorrow Ill post some pictures of before and after as well as some build pics.....the actually process of putting it all together was very labor intensive so I dont have many pics of that....

The 65 is gone the 110 is in, click the red house for the 110. *Updated

Current Tank Info: 110 gal R/R AGA with 40 gallon DIY fuge/sump, 2 AI Sol Blue LED modules, RKL system, Vortech Powerheads, Softies, LPS and SPS. Fox Face, Coral Beauty, Goby, a mated pair of Midnight Black Photon Clowns, BTA, Sebae and small critters everywhere
newreefbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2007, 08:41 PM   #2
McCrary
Can't Stop Time

Sweet, sounds like your off to a good start.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2007, 08:51 PM   #3
CalDiver
Registered Member

Can't wait to see some pics.

CalDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2007, 09:33 PM   #4
db_triggerfish
Registered Member

i just subscribed, it is nice to see new setups or upgrades.

Current Tank Info: AGA 75g RR 6 x 54w T5 overdriven (510w) with 2 x Icecap 660, DAS EX-1 Skimmer, OR 2500, Reefkeeper II
db_triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2007, 09:34 PM   #5
MR PALM BEACH
Registered Member

Smart move on the canopy with the height, hopefully you will have no heat Issues and have plenty of work around room. Good Luck.

Current Tank Info: 23" LCD with Windows Aquarium screen saver.
MR PALM BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2007, 10:02 PM   #6
mg426
Registered Member

Like to see the Pics.

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef 110 lbs LR, 1x250watt XM 20K MH 2x175watt XM 20K MH on Magetics 2X96 watt actinic PC, 220 watt VHO actinic, 30 gallon refugium, closed loop system powered by Sequence Dart MSX 200 skimmer 38 gallon sump, Oceansmotions squirt
mg426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2007, 07:28 PM   #7
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Ok, so Ill start with pics of the old tank.

and now lets move on to the new tank.

Before I Stained

Current Tank Info: 110 gal R/R AGA with 40 gallon DIY fuge/sump, 2 AI Sol Blue LED modules, RKL system, Vortech Powerheads, Softies, LPS and SPS. Fox Face, Coral Beauty, Goby, a mated pair of Midnight Black Photon Clowns, BTA, Sebae and small critters everywhere
Old 11/20/2007, 07:32 PM   #8
newreefbishop
Premium Member

I got rid of most of my softies, as well as my clam. I wanted to have a true mixed reef and Xenia would be the best way to start it. I will start my restocking tomorrow, starting with some live stock, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. And maybe I can get my hands on a nice monti cap.

Old 11/21/2007, 06:24 AM   #9
BigJPDC
Registered Member

Dude I love the through wall sump - where is the massive closed loop?? You gotta get over to our favorite place and pick out a ton of new rock too.

jp

Current Tank Info: 65 RR AGA
BigJPDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2007, 09:45 PM   #10
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Well....honestly the closed loop became a moot point once I actually started the build. I wanted to do something like that but didnt have the time to get the tank drilled. I have a work around which I may be putting into place in a few months. For not the Koralia will do. Also I plan to order 3-4 20-30 pound batches of rock from our spot. I dont want to fill the tank with rock, because of what I want to do with livestock and coral. I want to leave open swimming lanes and vertical growing SPS and LPS.

Old 12/11/2007, 01:07 PM   #11
WLDSHARK
Registered Member

MORE PICTURES PLEASE
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

WLDSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2007, 01:08 PM   #12
WLDSHARK
Registered Member

I want to get a 110 also... so i will like to see the entire set up...
do you have more detail pictures?

WLDSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 05:20 PM   #13
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Wild I will have pics hopefully tomorrow. I am currently out of town, will be back tonight.....so Ill definately update the thread tomorrow. THings have settled down a bit, and I added a few things to my equipment list. I am actually almost ready to start restocking my coral. I tested water last weekend professionally, and everything was spot on.....except phosphates and nitrates.....did a 25 gallon water change, and added a phosphate reactor. I changed all my media in the sump and will test again this weekend. If everything is still spot on, Ill be getting a monti frag.......

Anyway pics tomorrow...I PROMISE

Old 01/18/2008, 02:38 PM   #14
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Well I have let things settle for about a couple months, and everything looks great...I change my skimmer to a recirc, made a de-nitrifyer, and now im restocking.....I have been planning to add some more rock for the last feww weeks......and will do so tonight......pics to come

Old 02/06/2008, 09:33 AM   #15
newreefbishop
Premium Member

I finally got some new pics.....so here goes....

couple full tank shots

now for the meat and bones of the tank

this is first thing after lights came on.......so everything is still "waking" up

Old 02/06/2008, 09:36 AM   #16
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Old 02/06/2008, 09:44 AM   #17
newreefbishop
Premium Member

As for whats running behind the scenes I have two phosban reactors, I am adding a Nitrate reactor this week, a recirculating skimmer, a UV sterilizer....I have also changed my fuge a bit.....the section is small but still can be used for additional nitrate and phosphate export....I added 5-6 inches of miracle mud, in the section and have my phosban reactors pumping water into it slowly....this should in theory have an outflow of totally nutrient empty water......I have neglected my thread a bit lately....but now that other aspects of my life are stabalizing I think there should be an update at least once a week....

Old 02/10/2008, 06:40 PM   #18
newreefbishop
Premium Member

So I finally got something done that I have been having a problem with since my first tank. I had a friend in Miami build me a Sulfer Reactor.

See his build thread here....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Before installing my water has nitrates of 80-95 PPM. After running it for two days the water coming out of the Sulfer Reactor was as 20 PPM, it should be down to 0 withing 24-36 hrs. I calculated that it will completely cycle all the water within 14 days. Now I know by conventional measures water changes should do the trick, but in my case after doing 50 gallon water changes and trying various other measure this seemed to be the most effective route....

Ill post some pics tomorrow after testing the water.

Old 02/10/2008, 06:44 PM   #19
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

looks great

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2008, 07:02 PM   #20
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Thanks.....took me awhile to get it to this point and finally taking care of some issues....so it should progress quickly...

Old 02/10/2008, 07:06 PM   #21
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

thats a good thing. Cant wait to see the finial.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2008, 09:46 PM   #22
dp122098
Registered Member

Go ahead and look into the price of one of those reactors for me.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Tank, 75 Gallon Sump, SeasideAquatics ES2 Skimmer, 8xT5 Sun System Tek Fixture, Dolphin Reflo Return, 2xMP40w
dp122098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2008, 02:00 PM   #23
newreefbishop
Premium Member

Thread is developing alot slower than the 65 thread...lol In any case over the last few weeks, I have added a Sulfer Reactor to combat Nitrates, and help stabalize the water quality a litte. My nitrates, are at around 0-10 PPM now BUT my alk and PH are fluctuating.

One a positive note I added two pieces of SPS and the polyps actually came out immediately, which has never happened before. One was a superman and the other an acro which I will get the name of later as well as some update pics.

PH 8.2
ALK 8
Calcium 520
S.G. 1.026-7
Nitrate 0-10 PPM
Nitrites 0
Am 0

YEAH!!!!! progress!!!!

Old 03/05/2008, 10:42 AM   #24
dp122098
Registered Member

Yes all... I can vouch that this butt heads tank actually looks very healthy for a change. Apart from nrb overfeeding he is doing everything right for a change. Fish look very healthy and the water quality is good. I am going to build a sulfur reactor this week if not weekend. It should be lots of fun. Whet are the parameter fluctuating between?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Tank, 75 Gallon Sump, SeasideAquatics ES2 Skimmer, 8xT5 Sun System Tek Fixture, Dolphin Reflo Return, 2xMP40w
dp122098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2008, 11:28 AM   #25
newreefbishop
Premium Member

With the sulfer reactor the Alk and PH is the biggest thing to watch, thats why you put Arag on top of it to buffer the outflow back up somewhat as well as the. The easiest thing to do is buy a box of arm and hammer baking soda and test more frequently. Once or twice a week will do. Last night I added four teaspoons of baking soda to some RO/DI water and poured it into the sump. My ALK was originally around 7.5 DKH, this should bring it up to about 10-11 DKH, Ph has been buffered back up to 8.3 I see a loss of about .2 on the PH every week and about 1-2 DKH every week. The trick is to find the blance between your ALK and Calcium, once you do everything else should balance out over time. My Calcium is way hhigh at 520-540. Onother wierd thing I spotted last night is that my refractometer was off by .02 Basically when I thought my water was at 1.026-27 ir was really .028-30 I raised my topoff level, and brought it down to 1.027.

This weekends water change should bring my calcium down and help with the salinity. I have switched salts to Red Sea Pro salt, which is high in MG and other trace elements.

Also I plan on sending out some water to get professionally tested just so I can have a baseline for my test kits.
http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/

Will post updates soon.