Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/22/2008, 09:08 PM   #1
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Ahoyhoy239's 120g Peninsula

Woohoo Im finally going to try and do a build thread on my new tank with hopefully lots of pics and reviews of equipment and my experiences from almost 3 years of reefing. I also hope to draw alot of intelligent minds to give me input, suggestions, comments, etc on my current and future equipment and methods. Lastly I want this thread to help me track my progress over time and also provide a resource for people in need of ideas for their own build. Plus, who doesnt like to read build threads?

Anyways, I guess I will start from the beginning, my first tank, a 55g I originally purchased from a now extinct LFS which convinced me to start saltwater with no prior aquarium experience, and Im glad he did. I went through alot of basic equipment that I had to learn the hard way wasnt the best but I think this was actually a pretty nice tank considering not a drop of RO/DI went into it even though all i had were pretty simple softies and LPS. Just goes to show you that the rules can be bent a little and still make things happen. Photobucket isnt working right now so ill try and put some pics up later.

Next was my current tank, a 92g corner. I learned alot with this tank, particularly with much better equipment like RO/DI, MH lighting, more powerful protein skimmer, ato, media reactors, better pumps, 2 part dosing, etc. I also tried a wider variety of livestock, such as tangs, wrasses, simple sps, and an rbta among others. Ive also lost a few fish and learned the importance of researching fish compatability and special needs if their long-term survival is desired.

Ive found this tank to be a bit of a challenge as far as aquascaping, water circulation, and equipment in the stand. The good thing is that it provides a very unique view that has made the cons more bearable, however, the itch to upgrade was too much to bear, which brings me to my next tank. After keeping my eyes peeled like a hawk on craigslist and RC I finally found a good deal on a 120g 48" l x 24"w x 24"h which is exactly what i was looking for. Actually the only better size I would have preferred was a 150g 60"x24"x24". I did find one for sale from ATTR but I couldnt pass this tank up for the price.

Another great feature of this tank was that it was undrilled so it gave me flexibility on how to set it up. I made the decision to set this tank up peninsula style to maximize the viewing area around the tank and also make it a focal point of the living room area. I stumbled across glass-holes.com when trying to figure out what to do about the overflow. I went ahead and ordered their 1500 gph kit which turned out to be very good on the construction side and is very compact so it does not take away space inside the tank the standard AGA overflows do. Drilling the glass was very easy after doing enough reading and acquiring the right tools, namely a cordless drill with adjustable clutch to prevent torque transfer. Overall the overflow installation was quick and easy and I didnt have to mess around with silicone/glue and building a custom overflow box out of glass/acrylic. I havent water tested it yet but I hope its quiet! lol

Current Tank Info: AGA 120g peninsula w/ 40g sump, 175w MH, Octopus NW200 with Sicce, Panworld return

Last edited by ahoyhoy239; 12/22/2008 at 10:04 PM.
ahoyhoy239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2008, 10:19 PM   #2
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Finally I got photobucket to work. Heres a few pics of the 55g:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Current Tank Info: AGA 120g peninsula w/ 40g sump, 175w MH, Octopus NW200 with Sicce, Panworld return
Old 12/22/2008, 10:27 PM   #3
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

And a few pics of my 92g. These are from various times throughout the ~1.5 years its been up so thats why it looks so different.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

All but the last two pics are with the Iwasaki 175w 14k bulb, the last two are with a Reeflux 12k both on a mag ballast with a stainless steel reflector and 96w pc actinic with aluminum reflector. I made both of the reflectors at the machine shop I used to work at.

Old 12/22/2008, 10:40 PM   #4
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

So here is where Im at right now.
Heres the tank sitting on my front porch notice the overflow location to be setup as a peninsula.
Photobucket

and a close up of the overflow. its only about 12"x2"x6" so it really doesnt take up much space at all inside the tank. So far, I am very happy with the glass-holes.com product, though I will have to wait to find out how quietly it actually works.
Photobucket
And this is what it looks like from the outside. the bulkheads are 1.5" btw. Notice the tubes sticking out from the elbows, these are supposed to work similar to a durso stand pipe I suppose in that it allows you to adjust where the air and water will mix in the pipe to make it as quiet as possible.
Photobucket
I picked up these Icecap 175w ballasts today for a good deal:
Photobucket

Old 12/23/2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Elan L.
Registered Member

was that a grouper i saw??

Current Tank Info: 75g sps dominated reef some lps. 24x18x12 frag tank plumbed into 29g sump w/ Octopus Xtreme 160
Elan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 02:36 PM   #6
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Yup a Panther Grouper, I bought it at maybe 1.5 inches and sold after a few months of being in the 92g. It probably got up to around 3 inches when I sold it and very a really cool fish because of their unique swimming motion and its habit of poking its head into holes all the time

Old 12/23/2008, 03:12 PM   #7
drpo21
Reefer Enthusiast

i like that overflow. this new build should be good. what kind of skimmer will you be using?

One day I'll have a tank that has sharks with freakin' laser-beams attached to their heads. o_O
drpo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 03:29 PM   #8
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

the same Octo 200 I have on the 92g, but i will try mesh modding it this time around. I may eventually try to pick up a used Euroreef or something else that I wouldnt have to mess with.

Old 12/23/2008, 03:40 PM   #9
marcelft
Registered Member

Javier,
I have that same overflow from glass-holes...those guys are really cool to deal with. I was having some sucking sound, turned out I had some restricton in my down pipes that I needed to adjust, it was causing a siphon. I think its pretty quiet, yet Im new to the game so Im not familiar with how these tanks should sound.

Oh, whats the black with yellow striped angel called, its beautiful??

Current Tank Info: Outside tank = 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 gallons of water..nick named "The Ocean". Inside tank 75g.
marcelft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Schwanson
Registered Member

Awesome tank, keep the pics coming!

Schwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Paco
Move Don

Love your centropyge bispinosa -- my favorite dwarf angel. I'm doing a 120 build right now, though not a peninsula. I'll have my own build thread in the next month or two.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 06:16 PM   #12
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcelft
Javier,
I have that same overflow from glass-holes...those guys are really cool to deal with. I was having some sucking sound, turned out I had some restricton in my down pipes that I needed to adjust, it was causing a siphon. I think its pretty quiet, yet Im new to the game so Im not familiar with how these tanks should sound.

almost positive its a juvi french angelfish. they are local actually, ive caught a couple while snorkeling around here a couple times.

blackthunda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 06:18 PM   #13
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcelft
Javier,

Marcel, whats funny is that I saw your thread right after I finished and realized that we both used the same kit. I really hope its quietly because the tank is going right in the living room.It is going right where the chrstmas tree is in this pic, with the one side where the painting is.
Photobucket

The angel in that pic is a juvi French Angel, it was a beautiful fish but can turn into a coral eater when older. I sold it around the same time as the Panther Grouper, within a few months of the transfer to the 92g.

Old 12/23/2008, 06:23 PM   #14
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schwanson
Awesome tank, keep the pics coming!
Thank you, not much to take pics of at the moment but I will try.

Old 12/23/2008, 06:39 PM   #15
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco
Love your centropyge bispinosa -- my favorite dwarf angel. I'm doing a 120 build right now, though not a peninsula. I'll have my own build thread in the next month or two.
Thank you, that is probably the best pic Ive ever taken of my tanks and it really shows the color of the fish. That one and the Flame Angel were tied as my favorites, I couldnt decide because the both went into the tank at the exact same time. Unfortunately they both slowly withered away in the 92g because of the Lunar Wrasse that keeps getting bigger and bigger and eats the majority of the food that goes into the tank, not to mention he scares the less aggressive angels back into the rocks during feeding. Needless to say that fish will NOT be making the transfer into the 120.

Old 12/23/2008, 07:43 PM   #16
Bernie21
Registered Member

You are brave with that panther grouper in there, you have a bunch of tiny fish. I really like that fish, but a no no for me, your tank looks great, Im looking forward to your build!!

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 09:08 PM   #17
marcelft
Registered Member

Javier, I have my tank in my living room and it doesnt bother me, it's kind of like one of those "zen" waterfall things. I have a canopy witch quiets it down alot. Id say that most of the noise doesnt come from the box itself, but the water simply falling down the pipes behind the tank. You saw how I plumbed it behind teh tank? If you are able to fully enclose behind your tank where the plumbing goes, that will help alot. When I was trying to figure out where the sucking sound was coming from, I took some pillows and put them around the back of my tank and it took about 1/2 of the noise away.

Current Tank Info: Outside tank = 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 gallons of water..nick named "The Ocean". Inside tank 75g.
marcelft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 10:15 PM   #18
mikearoni
Registered Member

The build is looking good so far. Ive heard some good things about hose overflows. The French Angel is nice, I had one for a while, then I had to give him away.

mikearoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2008, 10:19 AM   #19
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

A little teaser of whats to come...

Photobucket

waiting on some more material, it should be finished in a week or so (damn New Years....)

Old 12/31/2008, 03:26 PM   #20
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Picked up a new 40g breeder today that will be turned into a sump, also found a used Ocean Runner 6500 that i will run submerged as the return pump probably with 2 eductors for a little extra flow.

Photobucket

Im probably going to be stealing ideas for the sump design from gasman059's thread, heres a link

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=9

Old 12/31/2008, 10:19 PM   #21
ReefWreak
Registered Member

So for lighting you're gonna do 175ws? What are you planning on keeping in the tank, what bulbs are you planning on using, and what reflectors? I only ask because I've got 2x250w in Luminarc minis over my 120, and a lot of times I'm feeling that I'm not getting enough light into the tank... :/ ... You can do 175w, but it all depends what bulbs, reflectors, and corals you plan on keeping. The overflow is looking great so far, and I can't wait to see where this goes!

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2009, 10:24 AM   #22
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

I hope everyone's New Years went better than mine, I spent the night in a hospital bed in horrible pain with appendicitis. They finally gave me some pain meds around 2 am, CT scan after that, then I went into surgery at 8 am and I made it home yesterday around noon. I have pretty limited mobility and cant lift much so I wont be making much progress on the tank for a week or two. Not helping things at all is that we will be tenting the house Friday the 9th for termites so Im not sure sure yet whether to take the 92g down now and move everything to my grandparents house or cover the whole tank with plastic and intake/exhaust ducts with fans leading outside the house.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWreak
So for lighting you're gonna do 175ws? What are you planning on keeping in the tank, what bulbs are you planning on using, and what reflectors? I only ask because I've got 2x250w in Luminarc minis over my 120, and a lot of times I'm feeling that I'm not getting enough light into the tank... :/ ... You can do 175w, but it all depends what bulbs, reflectors, and corals you plan on keeping. The overflow is looking great so far, and I can't wait to see where this goes!
Eric, I will be running Icecap 175w ballasts and Lumenarc Minis. For bulbs. I have a new pair of Reeflux 12ks right now but I might sell them for a loss and spend the extra cash for Iwasakis for couple of reasons. 1) MUCH higher output which equals better efficiency. Comparing info from Sanjay's testing Reeflux has a PPFD/Watt of like ~.19 while Iwasaki has ~.52, no brainer there.
2) Comparing the color, I tested the Reeflux in my current setup (mag ballast) and it was really blue and looked like straight actinic. I will have to see what they look like on the Icecaps before I make a final decision.

I plan on keeping a mixed reef; some rics and zoos, maybe a nice toadstool; alot of LPS and some SPS, a few monti caps and eventually I will try some acros; my RBTA will be transferring as well. I really dont think lighting will be a problem for what I want with this tank, I dont have the SPS bug, at least not yet, and Ive been able to keep most of the corals I like in the 92g with a much weaker setup. I guess time will tell, but I am confident.

Old 01/24/2009, 04:04 PM   #23
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

Its been a while since my last update and Ive only made slight progress but in the hope of keeping the thread alive heres a few pics lol.

I finally got the stand welded, sandblasted, and painted. The dimensions are 49" x 25" x 42".
Photobucket
Photobucket

That first pic is where the tank was originally supposed to be positioned but after some deliberation it was decided to move the location a few feet away where it happens to fit pretty snuggly and in a unique location, with plans to add some furniture and make it a little loungy area to relax or whatever and move the table and other stuff somewhere else.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Last night I spray painted the overflow side of the tank black.

Photobucket

Im still waiting on Lumenarc Minis I ordered a while ago but apparently production was backed up or whatever. Im about to get a refund and order Lumenbrights. Opinions?

Old 01/24/2009, 10:33 PM   #24
ahoyhoy239
Registered Member

My brother showed up tonight and helped me get the tank on the stand, im going to level it in the morning then get the RO/DI cranking and mock up the plumbing.

Photobucket

Old 01/25/2009, 01:38 AM   #25
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

javier the stand looks great-any plans for gussets and or at least one x brace- IMHO u don't need them but 4 sure there's gonna be that doubt.

My concern is that the top does not have a 3rd brace.

But then again I truly believe that many tank stands are way overbuilt. Once the tank is skinned it will also add to the streght of the stand.

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote