Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/02/2006, 05:40 AM   #1
falconut
Registered Member

Can Basement Walls be used to Cool Tank?

I have a 90 gal. tank on the 1st floor, which I like to keep around 78 - 80. I am running 2 - 250W MH's & 2 - 220 W VHO's. The tank is built into the wall.

The only time it has any heat issues is when the house temp starts to get up around 78 - 80. I currently have two CPU fans pulling air out of the tank area, through a vent aboce the closet door. And 1 larger fan blowing air over the sump.

I was wondering if I could either pump tank water out of the tank through the floor into the basement and pumb along the basement wall and then back into the sump. Or run a clooped loop along the basement wall and through the sump.

Would PVC running along the basement wall provide enough of a temp drop or would I have to switch the to Stainless Steel or Titanium to get enough cooling? How cold does the basement wall have to be for it to be suffiecient? Any ideas?

falconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2006, 08:05 AM   #2
douggiestyle
Registered Member

if you do some research (i have done it myself) you will find alot of people with basement sumps do not have heat problems, that some actually have cold problems. look at adding a basement sump. a large one would be great! think of all the extra h2o volume. maybe add some live rock.

douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2006, 09:10 AM   #3
falconut
Registered Member

The only problem with the Basement Sump is that I would have to run about 20 - 30 LF of pipe for my return. My Sump wouldn't be able to be directly below the tank. I would have to put it in a corner and the tank is over the middle. I still might have to consider.

I was hoping that I could run alot of smaller pipe or tube down and along the wall, in the unfinished areas.

Old 05/02/2006, 09:47 AM   #4
rick s
Premium Member

I'm no pro, just a DIY'r, but my first thought is that you would not get the heat transfer through the piping like you're thinking. I agree that having a mass of water (open top sump) sitting in the basement might work better, even great.

But, also consider: When I had a basement in NY I had to run a dehumidifier all summer to keep mold from appearing. If you put an open tank of water in the basement, water will evaporate and add more humidity to your basement.

Current Tank Info: Reefer Emeritus
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2006, 10:00 AM   #5
douggiestyle
Registered Member

cant say it would hurt. could only help. yor best heat transfer would be to pump tank water directly through the pex. and not use some sort of heat exchanger. would work similar to a geo system.

Old 05/02/2006, 10:43 AM   #6
falconut
Registered Member

I was considering something like this:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...p?photo=167972

I could dig up the yard and pump tank water through PVC pipe if I have to, but I think this would be easier to build.

Old 05/02/2006, 11:04 AM   #7
douggiestyle
Registered Member

would work but pumping tank water directly would give better results. there is a thread or reply where two pumps were connected to the loop. one small power head running 24/7 to keep flow through unit. another larger power head to increase flow during cooling cycle.

could also use a large closed barrel in basement. there is also another thread using that design.

large body works well. similar to an inground pool in the northern states. it never gets warm, gotta use a heater. geo chilling.