Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2016, 10:13 AM   #9776
classicguy1965
Registered Member

Thumbs up NEW to this fourm

Hey guys my name is Chris and would like to say hello to all
and will be asking a lot of stuff just got my self a 75 gallon rr tank
that all ready need to know whats the best filter system. going to the right place for this.

classicguy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 05:25 PM   #9777
myswtsins
Registered Member

Hello. Long time member, first time posting! Been keeping freshwater tanks for 8 years and seriously considering the move over to saltwater. See you in the forums!

myswtsins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 06:29 PM   #9778
RoachCity
Registered Member

became a member back in December but now is that I'm finally getting my tank running and getting on the site to get advice. Howdy from New York!!!

RoachCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 02:32 AM   #9779
mander42661
Registered Member

fish compatibility

Hi All,

I'm new to marine fish so i'm looking for any advice or guidance.

My tank has been running for 6 months now without any issues. I have a 350L tank with live rock and a small selection of fish and a clean up crew.

There seems to be a lot of contradictory information around on fish compatibility so I'm hoping for some help in identifying some fish that are safe with my tank's current occupants.

Can anyone offer some advice on what may be a good addition to my set-up?

Currently I have: 2 x common clowns
1 x royal gramma
1 x pyjama cardinal
1 x algae blenny
2 x cleaner shrimp
turbo snails
red legged hermit crabs

mander42661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 09:00 AM   #9780
Rio1969
Registered Member

Hi all,
I am new to marine fish, will be starting with a 20g tank. Currently doing a lot of reading and slowly buying equipment. The wife is on board with this and loves visiting the lfs'.

Ray

Rio1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 02:54 PM   #9781
ironsnake
Registered Member

Hello

Hi everyone, my name is Richard. I have been keeping freshwater and reef tanks for over a decade now, but after losing $10k+ twice worth of livestock and priceless corals due to moves and having kids, I went on a hiatus but kept collecting equipment for a return. Well, finally found a good deal on CL for 300 gallon acrylic this weekend, so time to open some boxes and put the equipment horde into use.

ironsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 05:39 PM   #9782
Lizy
Registered Member

Hi, just joined. Got a 65 gallon tank and hope to get a lot of good info and advise on here. Im sure I will have lots of questions and concerns as I set up my tank!

Lizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 07:11 PM   #9783
Nuno239
Registered Member

Need help

Hi new to the hobby I have a 10g tank but I'm haveing trouble keeping the cal above 360 do I need to dose or just do more water changes

Nuno239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 08:52 AM   #9784
Pivitol
Registered Member

Hello I am new to the saltwater side of our hobby. I am currently getting ready to drill and setup a 150. I hope to get a lot of helpful advice from this forum.

Pivitol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 11:56 AM   #9785
xREEFINaintEZx
Registered Member

new 2 the fourms

Hello RC, my name is George. I live in silver spring, MD. Been reading tons ready to post. I’ve kept fresh water all my life with the hopes to one day be a reef keeper. Long story short, A buddie of mine was moving around six months ago and could not take his 75 gal bow front. Now being the proud new owner, RC is the place to go for all my questions and research.
Tank stats.
• 75 gallon DT.
• 20 gal SUMP.
• 50 LBS. LIVrock.
• 2x Reef Breeder Superlux LEDs
• Excalibur skimmer
• Salinity 1.26 @ 78 degrees
• 1 inch sand bed
Inhabitants
• Yellow Tang
• Blue yellow tail damsel
• 3x blue damsels
• Royal gramma
• Purple dottyback
• 3x orbic cardinals
• 2x pajama cardinals
• Sunset anthias
• 2x banggai cardinalfish
• Six line wrasse
• Black Ocellaris (moved to QT after being advised by previous owner. Attacked yellow tang.)
• 2x zebra hermits.
• 10x red dwarf hermits
• Black shortspin Urchin

xREEFINaintEZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 05:32 PM   #9786
asrpdoc
Registered Member

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. Any advice on buying a 125 gallon aquarium tank system would be very helpful.

I have been visiting local aquarium stores. They have been quoting $ 4200 - 4500 to deliver and assemble 125 gallon tank (which includes glass tank, stand, circulation pump, LED lighting assembly, protein skimmer, live rock 100 lbs, live sand 60 lbs, reef sump, Magdrive pump, plumbing parts and delivery charges).

I have been also looking at All in one tank systems like Redsea Reefer system (Red Sea Reefer XL 525 Rimless System 139 Gallon) which costs $2499 online. Of course this doesn't include live rock and sand.

I will be thankful if someone can let me know which route should I take in terms of costs and starting up with a good aquarium tank system. All in one tank system? OR assembled tank system?

Thank you so much.

asrpdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 05:36 PM   #9787
Andres_p88
Registered Member

Hellos RC

Last edited by Andres_p88; 08/22/2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Other
Andres_p88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 08:09 PM   #9788
NASAGeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrfferry View Post
I have a question the 60lbs of sand already has the bacteria added to it... Should I add anymore bacteria to the tank?

No.... go slow, let the tank cycle... the bacteria will balance itself.

Mark

NASAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 08:10 PM   #9789
Csharp
Registered Member

Im Caleb, i have a 120 mixed reef. It started with the fish, then yumas, then acans, acros, now im trying to grow a zoa garden at the bottom of the live rock. Very small filtration, carbon and a skinmer basically. Trying to get into fragging. I hope what i have learned can help someone as i have creeped around and learned alot.

Csharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 08:13 PM   #9790
NASAGeek
Registered Member

Hello to Reef Central...

Not terribly new to reef aquariums, but new to reefcentral.com.

Had a 120g reef for several years... but moved houses, had to tear it down.... now upgrading to a 210g. The reefcentral.com community has been just wonderful in helping me learn the "latest" and answering questions. Thanks so much.

Looking forward to learning more and helping others where I can.

Mark

NASAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 10:28 AM   #9791
oranngetang
Registered Member

Greets,

New to the forum and the hobby. I scooped up a friend's 29G Biocube, stocked (running for 3 years), and transported it 900 km to my home away from home. 6 months in now, the tank has never looked better.

This beautiful center piece has prompted me to take down my old 72g fresh tank and retrofit it over to to saltwater with a drilled overflow and home made sump. This tank has been up for about a month or so now and coming along well given my quick and dirty startup method. Both tanks are up and running and I've successfully managed to 'frag' a piece of GSP from the 29G into the 72G. While I felt bad cutting up a living organism, it's taking off like crazy and seems very happy in the new tank. Pretty cool!

Being a newbie, I may be a little overstocked in the 72g for now. I'm hoping within the next year I can increase this tank to a ~120+ G Red Sea / Cad Lights style rimless tank and cabinet so I'm not too worried about my fish out growing the tank as of yet.

I've been following along on a few threads and contributing when able. There is a lot of information and conflicting opinions on how to operate a reef aquarium, I'm enjoying the debates.

Newest hardware additions are an IceCap K2 skimmer and Innovative Marine Reactor, both of which I'm pretty happy with.

Current Tank Info: 72 Gallon BowFront & 29 Gallon BioCube
oranngetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 10:30 AM   #9792
Quarterpastgone
Registered Member

Hey ya'll my name is Doug and I am from south side of Atlanta GA. I have a 75 gallon tank that I am wanting to get up and running as a reef. Done tons of research and have tons more to do. Just got moved to the house where I can make this happen. Stand is built and tank ran for a year in the old house as a fresh water tank. now its time to switch. I am sure to have many questions in the near future.

Quarterpastgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 03:09 PM   #9793
Nickmcc
Registered Member

Hi everybody. Ive been reading through these forums for the past few months and decided to join. I have a 37 gallon reef tank with a fluval 306 and soon purchasing a Tunze 9004.

Nickmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 07:03 PM   #9794
Nuno239
Registered Member

Need help how to dose a 10g tank my cal is allways 360 how do I get it up to 430 or do I just need to do more water changes I do 1 a week

Nuno239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 09:35 AM   #9795
dave231
Registered Member

Hi
I am new here, but been a member in several webmaster forums. i came here by searching about solenoid valves and landed on one of this forum page, got registered here in the end.

dave231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 10:12 PM   #9796
provost_reefers
Registered Member

1st time posting

Hello there, been in the hobby about 20 years but always learning. Living in Montana where there is not a lot of SW tanks or LFS's to visit. Currently planning an upgrade to a 90 tall so will be doing a lot of research and probably asking a lot of questions. Thanks for all the great info and advice posted on RC.

Anna

provost_reefers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 11:34 AM   #9797
Gto Joe
Registered Member

Newbie to Reef Cental and the Hobbie

I am Joe, New to the hobby and in the middle of a crash course with way too many curves and not enough berms. Any and all help is appreciated.

I look forward to adding some knowledge at some point.

Gto Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 01:22 PM   #9798
E_martin92
Registered Member

Hey guys my name is eric and I'm knew to the forum and interested in learning more about saltwater. I currently have a 40 gallon breeder with one Oscar cichlid and one blood parrot. I have a aqueon LED strip light and two 50/gallon aquaclear filters. I joined the forum to help my research on saltwater and to seek advice on what else is needed or recommended for starting up a marine tank.

E_martin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 05:57 PM   #9799
madlithuanian
Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike and I've been a lurker on this site for a long time, mostly just admiring everyone else's beautiful set ups. I FINALLY got my dream tank up and running, a Red Sea Reefer 450! It's so new that it's still cycling and I probably won't have any livestock for a month or so. Anyway, I just figured I'd say a quick "howzit" for now . . . I'll probably be posing questions to the group once my tank is really up & running.

Cheers!

madlithuanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 05:09 PM   #9800
NODAL_REEF
Registered Member

new

Hello my name is jorge I'm new to the forum and i started 2 months ago i have a 110 gln reef tank with a couple of fish and a lot of coral a lot i don't know what it is but I'm slowly learning.and hopefully i can get some good pointers from u guys to keeping my tank healthy

NODAL_REEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral