Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/30/2021, 03:45 PM   #501
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Right on, same here.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2021, 03:20 PM   #502
vlangel
Registered Member

This week I did a water change and did finally get around to cleaning the glass. It still did not look too bad but it looks better now.

Rice Krispie continually moves the sandbed so his excavation creates dust on everything. Uhhg, not what I was hoping for but it's ok. A turkey baster cleans it up somewhat or at least temporarily.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2021, 05:35 PM   #503
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I need to do some clean up too. I want to shoot more pics, but I want to get the Shoal Grass out first.

I get something similar to your shrimp with my Allen's Damsels. They use their TAILS to dig, so it can get messy. Not ideal!

Unread 05/08/2021, 02:34 PM   #504
vlangel
Registered Member

It's pretty hard to set up an aquarium without any 'problem' children, ha ha!

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 05/09/2021, 08:29 AM   #505
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

True. There's always something!

Unread 05/13/2021, 08:36 AM   #506
vlangel
Registered Member

Hi all! Well we have been a quiet bunch lately. My tank and system are chugging along just fine but there is nothing new to report. I am guessing it is the same with everyone.

My fish are great. Everyone is very healthy as far as I can tell and they are living in harmony with one another. That is a blessing when one has as many fish as I do. Corals and macros are ok, some thrive but some do not. I will have to keep working at that. Generally speaking however, things are good.

Unread 05/13/2021, 09:23 AM   #507
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds good! Quiet on my end as well.

Unread 05/22/2021, 11:36 AM   #508
vlangel
Registered Member

I did a bigger than usual water change this week. I am hoping that the coral and macros that are not flourishing will perk up as a result. Here is keeping my fingers crossed!

Unread 06/03/2021, 02:03 PM   #509
lapin
Registered Member

How did that work?

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2021, 05:44 PM   #510
vlangel
Registered Member

I am not sure. My tank system had taken a downward turn and I was not sure why. It seems to have leveled off but I lost a long time gorg, and most of the shoal seagrass. I did another 15 gallon water change this week in hopes that things will continue to improve. I will let you know, lapin.

Unread 06/07/2021, 08:35 AM   #511
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

How are things going? Sorry to hear you've had some losses. Are you back on track? I wonder what's happened. Maybe a delayed reaction to the new substrate addition? That seems unlikely, since it basically just adds filtration capacity. I've heard of mini-cycles happening in similar situations. Maybe there was a Nitrite spike.

Water changes seem like a good strategy. Changing out charcoal and/or letting some macros grow out a bit more might help. With a large number of fish, it would make sense to maximize the filtration capacity of your refugium, so it may help to let it get shaggy.

Unread 06/08/2021, 05:15 AM   #512
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
How are things going? Sorry to hear you've had some losses. Are you back on track? I wonder what's happened. Maybe a delayed reaction to the new substrate addition? That seems unlikely, since it basically just adds filtration capacity. I've heard of mini-cycles happening in similar situations. Maybe there was a Nitrite spike.

Water changes seem like a good strategy. Changing out charcoal and/or letting some macros grow out a bit more might help. With a large number of fish, it would make sense to maximize the filtration capacity of your refugium, so it may help to let it get shaggy.
I am perplexed too. I also wondered about the addition of the garden dirt causing a delayed reaction but like you, I thought that was unlikely. I did worry however that there might have been something toxic in the dirt. That too seems unlikely since I actually have been running a bit of carbon for a month or two. The water definitely has a tint to it when I do a water change. It might just be tannins from all the food I feed so I plan to continue with the larger water changes for a while.

I wondered about the new probiotic food I have begun feeding since the frag swap. Again that seems unlikely because I am sure that the food has been extensively tested but the downward trend did coincidentally seem to start after that. At any rate I have discontinued feeding it for now.

I also had decided to not prune the macros back so much in the refugium thinking that might help. At this point it is a wait and see what happens. Downward trends can be discouraging but I need to remind myself that this is minor compared to a while system crash. I do not want to over-react. I will make these smaller adjustments, and see if the ship rights itself. Typically my tank has become very stable and I need to keep that in mind.

Unread 06/08/2021, 06:39 AM   #513
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good plan. No need to panic. A tint to the water does suggest tannins. I got them from adding dirt to my substrate. Seems unlikely to be the reason for a downturn though. I agree with everything you're doing. I think it will right itself.

Unread 06/10/2021, 01:34 PM   #514
vlangel
Registered Member

With it being late spring and summer around the corner, this is a good time to just let the tank settle with slightly larger water changes but no other changes. Like you I get busy with a lot of other pursuits this time of year so it's not really even frustrating not to do something new with the tank.

I did end up with a new fish unexpectantly. Friends of mine who have had a fish tank were down to their last fish...a 'been around the block a time or two' percula clown. They had moved him into a 10 gallon tank but when their son was getting married in another state they decided it was time to re-home the clown. They asked me if I knew anyone, ha ha! Of course I felt sorry for him being in a 10 gallon tank so now he lives with Guardian and Molly McQuire. I have dubbed him Perky and he settled in well. He is a big fish, 3Xs the size of Guardian but he seems chill about living in the fuge and I have not seen any aggression. I was afraid that he would beat up or kill Ozzie which is why I did not put him in the display tank. They think that he is about 10 years old but I know clowns can live a long time. I had a mated pair of tomato clowns that were still spawning at 15 years when I rehomed them. So Perky may be with me a while, ha ha!

Last edited by vlangel; 06/10/2021 at 01:45 PM.
Unread 06/10/2021, 01:39 PM   #515
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So true! We can only do so much!

Unread 06/22/2021, 07:37 AM   #516
vlangel
Registered Member

Hi everyone! My hubby and I celebrated our 40th anniversary at Chincoteague, VA this past weekend and what fun. We did a walking tour through town Friday night when we arrived to get history and oriented. We also jet skied, did a wild life boat tour, ate some amazing seafood( I know, that is kind of wrong for a marine aquarist) and enjoyed the beach. Before we came home I filled a small bin with some water, mud, what I think is Ulva, nassarius snails and some dead oyster clusters. I thought this small amount of samplings from the Chesapeake area could add some beneficial biolife to my system. I have never added anything to my tank that I collected but I decided to take a risk. This morning everything looks fine so hopefully I have not begun a marine equivalent of a pandemic in my tanks! I will take pics of the fuge when everything is cleared up.

Unread 06/22/2021, 07:45 AM   #517
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Happy 40th Anniversary! That's a milestone to be very proud of.

Very cool that you collected some stuff for your tank. More bio-diversity! I look forward to seeing it.

Unread 06/22/2021, 07:59 AM   #518
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kQPGZQT9M7BRHg4v7
This tank is so hard to get a good pic since it is in a very narrow space, but here is what I could get.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rTU7LXS8TU6teX7c9

Unread 06/22/2021, 08:03 AM   #519
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Happy 40th Anniversary! That's a milestone to be very proud of.

Very cool that you collected some stuff for your tank. More bio-diversity! I look forward to seeing it.
Thank you Michael. It's hard to believe that we have been married that long and a little sobering how fast it goes. Still I feel very blessed!

Unread 06/22/2021, 08:06 AM   #520
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice! Yep, looks like Ulva to me too. Tank looks great too!

Time flies when you're having fun! Congrats!

Unread 06/27/2021, 02:42 PM   #521
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice! Yep, looks like Ulva to me too. Tank looks great too!

Time flies when you're having fun! Congrats!
So far the ulva seems to be doing well. Dave and I have our SC grandchildren from now until July 16th, so if I don't post a lot, you will know that I am occupied otherwise.

Unread 07/01/2021, 01:13 PM   #522
vlangel
Registered Member

I did a very thorough deep clean (almost to the point of a minor overhaul) of the display tank this afternoon, since I have a couple day break from the grandchildren. With Rice Krispie continually relocating sand, my tiered effect had deteriorated into a rolling hill look. Also a thick layer of sand and detritus was covering the rock and even some coral.

To remedy the situation I took all the rock and coral that were not foundation pieces out and placed in buckets. That way I could repair the retaining wall rock and restore the tiers. When I put the rock and coral back in the scape changed somewhat but I like it. I had to examine the buckets well to make sure no creatures were in the rock and had fallen out. I surely did not want to discard them with the water that I was throwing out. Turns out that bandit, the masked goby and Cheerleader, the pom pom crab had done just that. Worse than that I found either Jet or Piper(I can not tell them apart) one of my green gobies fell on the floor. I am not sure how long he was there before I saw him but I picked him up and he moved, so I quickly put him in the tank. I think he will be ok. I hesitate to do such drastic cleanings for just that reason that one of my beloved creatures could accidently perish, but the tank really needed the change. Hopefully everyone comes through it unscathed! When it all clears up I will take a pic.

Unread 07/01/2021, 01:44 PM   #523
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good idea. The sand moving critters can play havoc with aquascapes. I'm excited to see your newly refined scape!

Unread 07/03/2021, 08:26 AM   #524
vlangel
Registered Member

I decided to test my nitrates and phosphates after the mini overhaul. Whew, the nitrates were up there at 50 ppm! Even for my high nutrient tank that is not acceptable. I am somewhat amazed that my inverts were doing ok with the nitrates so high. A surprising find was my phosphate were only .25 ppm which although high for some tanks, that is pretty much where I run mine. Maybe the red macro algae are utilizing the phosphates more than the nitrates?

Anyway I emptied the 20 gallon sump and syphoned out all the detritus that has settled in it. That way not only am I removing more detritus but also I am doing about another 15 gallon water change. Other than lowering the temperature a couple of degrees it is a fairly non-invasive change that may make a fairly big difference for the good.

Unread 07/03/2021, 08:44 AM   #525
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I imagine your mini overhaul upset the biological filter, causing the Nitrate bump. You might try putting an Ulva plant up high, in very bright light, where it can rapidly take up nutrients.