Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2012, 03:54 PM   #51
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Thanks for this, it is important information. One unit seems to go well then for a mixed reef or LPS dominent tank, and two for the full on SPS keeper, which makes sense.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2012, 06:19 AM   #52
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Excellent information Rodney! That's very generous of you to take the time to measure and report back in such detail.

KUDOS to you

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2012, 01:11 PM   #53
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Here is what Jake Adams from RB had to say in his review. You can also see the strip down photos on RB

As posted by reef-Builders.

the write up by Jake Adams

The GHL Mitras LED light is the first aquarium light fixture from the experienced designers and manufacturers of aquarium electronics, most notably the GHL Profilux controller. We had to go all the way to Germany to get our first look at the Mitras LED in person, way back in May when the GHL LED aquarium light was still in middle stages of development. The promise that we saw in the GHL Mitras LED six months ago has been fully realized in the final production version of the Mitras with a set of hardware features which is nearly unrivaled in the aquarium hobby and bordering on over the top. Priced at $1200 the Mitras LED is not going to be many hobbyist’s first foray into LED aquarium lighting. However, experienced LED users and owners of large tanks who are ready to take big steps towards LED lighting will find the Mitras LED very worthy of their consideration.

The first thing that struck us about the final production Mitras LX 6100 LED is its very finely crafted metal housing. Compared to the plastic-y shells of some aquarium LED lights the steel and aluminum chassis of the Mitras feels distinctly high class. The fit and finish of the anodizing work and paint job of the Mitras feels very solid and more so than most lights this is a fixture which will make you want to touch it, which is good because the onboard touchscreen controller is the first mode of entry for programming the Mitras LED light. Some other fine touches to the exterior of the Mitras include a hidden USB access port on the underside of the fixture and a sweet transparent power cable which ensures that you’ll never mistake it for another one of your aquarium devices.

The onboard controller of the GHL Mitras LED is no doubt part of what adds to the overall cost of this top-tier LED light but it also ensures that no other accessories of computer is needed in order to get some programming of the light. With onboard 2.4GHz wireless the built in controller of one Mitras can become the master unit for a suite of other Mitras lights set to slave mode. When using the Mitras controller we found the splashproof touch-sensitive buttons to be extremely responsive and the nested menu options were fairly intuitive, there was no need to crack open any directions to quickly adjust different color channels. As good as the Mitras controller is, you’ll want to access it via USB using the GHL Light Composer to really make the most of what the Mitras can do. Even with an easy interface, the navigation of the small screen on each Mitras can take a little while, especially if you want to set multiple time-intensity points for nine different channels, those button presses add up. We have not yet played with the GHL Light Composer for the Mitras but we’ll be sure to do so very soon.

Cracking open the Mitras LED was also an absolute pleasure (not literally cracking it, but carefully opening the housing of course). Compared to the first view we had of the Mitras LED at InterZoo the final Mitras LED boards, fans and electronics seem much more thoughtfully laid out. Whereas the Mitras initially had its four fans drawing from the bottom and fanning this moist salty air directly over the electronics, the Mitras now funnels its air cooling from the top and out the sides – a much safer and more durable orientation for air flow for sure. Also, previously we saw what appeared to be an afterthought for UV LEDs clumsily added to the middle of the body as if to fill in a void. The new placement of the Hyper Violet HV LEDs is right there next to the cluster of other LED colors which makes much more sense from a color-mixing point of view and for having one set of reflector or lens clusters to swap out.

We’ll be having a whole lot more to say about GHL’s first foray into LED aquarium lighting with the Mitras LED. Be sure to check our previous coverage of the Mitras LX 6100 over the better part of this year and stay tuned for some unexpected observations about what the Mitras LED looks like next to some other aquarium LED heavy hitters and perched three feet over corals on a massive reef aquarium display.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Unread 10/12/2012, 08:39 PM   #54
humaguy
Premium Member

What an outstanding write-up...I can't wait to get my 5 units this Thursday...

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2012, 08:40 PM   #55
signal_4
Registered Member

5 UNITS ?????? !!!!!!!!!! What bank did you ROB ?????? lol

signal_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2012, 01:49 PM   #56
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
wow stunning system!

Yes there has been a delay due to the vast amount of orders received to Germany, I personally am working hard to get everyones orders to them as fast as possible here in North America.
Hi,
Are there any online direct retailers? Also, will one unit adequately cover a 36Lx24wx20h mixed reef?

Thanks!

Patrick Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2012, 01:58 PM   #57
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Hi

Yep please drop us an email at sales@aqua-digital.com I dont want this thread to become a sale pitch.

In regards to spread width and depth is no issue, the length is stated as 32" on the bottom, but if you look at this it will give you a better idea if you feel one will suite your needs

10cm = 4"

Take into account also the lamp is mounted front to back so the spread will be less. If you mount it lengthways as you would with your tank it will obviously be more

Unread 10/21/2012, 12:12 PM   #58
Btompkin
Registered Member

Any else get their unit (s) yet and have any insights?

Mine wont arrive until tues.

Btompkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 05:08 PM   #59
M007
Acro Whore

Nuked my credit card last week, can't wait. Total envy on you guys who ordered early. Look forward to some more units hanging over tanks

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 06:03 PM   #60
rodneyri
Registered Member

yeah come on guys its getting lonely in here im sure others now have these on their tanks!

Unread 10/21/2012, 06:28 PM   #61
humaguy
Premium Member

gettin there....

Unread 10/22/2012, 01:55 AM   #62
rodneyri
Registered Member

Glued this piece down about the same time I installed the Mitras, it was brown...and didnt have those lil growth bumps

Unread 10/22/2012, 08:06 AM   #63
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Great picture Rodney! That says a LOT for the Mitras in a very short period of time!

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2012, 06:31 PM   #64
Haxer
Registered Member

Thanks to Allen from ReefBytes, UPS left me a package while I was at work..
All of the other Mitras on this thread have been silver...Mitras in black anyone...

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

Haxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2012, 06:35 PM   #65
humaguy
Premium Member

look great!

Unread 10/23/2012, 09:03 PM   #66
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

I'll be getting my Mitras tomorrow, I'm excited! If time permits, I will hang it up the same day and post pictures! The black unit is so sleek, I'm glad that's the color I went with.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2012, 10:50 PM   #67
Rotknee
Registered Member

Got mine today thanks to Allen (ReefBytes). Software installed on an old windows XP machine...smooth as butter. I'm currently using the default settings as I think the program has potential.

The lights were actually smaller than I thought they would be. They are also super bright. The construction is as good as you would expect from a GHL product. Overall I am impressed with the construction and operation of the unit.

The next challenge is going to be finding a mounting solution. I don't think I want to mount all three units to ceiling. The power cord placement represents a small challenge to my original plan but I am sure I will come up with reasonable alternative.

Mathias the Mitras was worth the wait.

Unread 10/24/2012, 05:28 AM   #68
Chris Lakies
Registered Member

The mitras do look BA!

Current Tank Info: 50 breeder, 2 x XR15w pro (G4), 1 x MP40wQD, Apex JR, Ehiem-Jager 200 watt heater, Jabao DC6000 return, Reef Octo 150 elite SSS skimmer
Chris Lakies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2012, 09:11 PM   #69
Btompkin
Registered Member

Got mine monday and am working on ceiling mount, had to spend some time at lowes getting a nice ceiling cover

I have a black unit as well and love it!

Btompkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2012, 09:51 PM   #70
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Well the Mitras arrived and is officially setup. A big thank you goes out to Allen at ReefBytes!

My initial impressions are very good. The fixture is super bright and much brighter than my previous LED Maxspect G2. I'm really liking the sleek profile and easy to use GHL Control Center. I was up and running in an hour.

Here are some pictures:

Before Mitras LED

With Mitras LED

*Now I just have to get rid of my old LED fixture

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
Unread 10/24/2012, 10:19 PM   #71
Rotknee
Registered Member

@Btompkin Please share your mounting solution with us. Here is my temporary "Ghetto" mount. I may visit my acrylic guy who does incredible custom work. Still thinking through options and possible solutions.

@ReefRocker Nice tank and pics!

Unread 10/25/2012, 06:16 AM   #72
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRockerLive View Post
Well the Mitras arrived and is officially setup. A big thank you goes out to Allen at ReefBytes!

My initial impressions are very good. The fixture is super bright and much brighter than my previous LED Maxspect G2. I'm really liking the sleek profile and easy to use GHL Control Center. I was up and running in an hour.

Here are some pictures:

Before Mitras LED

With Mitras LED

*Now I just have to get rid of my old LED fixture
Is that your 67g rimless? (36" length)

Patrick Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2012, 06:19 AM   #73
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Wow, does show what i hoped 36" coverage WOW!

Unread 10/25/2012, 06:32 AM   #74
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Yep, that's my tank, 36"! I don't see any shadows anywhere in the tank, everything is nicely lit. I now see the back corners of my tank.

Unread 10/25/2012, 07:07 AM   #75
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Let's have some sps coral shots please. I was going to buy the Maxspect Razor, but even Though this is more than twice the price this unit looks very nice; I know GHL quality as I own the GHL Profilux.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote