Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2021, 10:51 AM   #1
brad
Registered Member

Bright red mag in Red Sea

These are relatively rare and we will probably never see one in the aquarium trade, I was impressed enough seeing this in person to post it:

I believe this is H. magnifica and it was bright red, brighter than the photo and brighter than any BTA I've seen.

brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2021, 10:56 AM   #2
bradleym
Registered Member

That is a GORGEOUS anemone! Definitely one of the Heteractis species, I agree. I didn't even know that color variety existed until now. Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 92g corner round. No sand, lots of mushrooms.
bradleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2021, 11:06 AM   #3
kris4647
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
These are relatively rare and we will probably never see one in the aquarium trade, I was impressed enough seeing this in person to post it:

I believe this is H. magnifica and it was bright red, brighter than the photo and brighter than any BTA I've seen.

I’d never say never, lol. I recall when there was just one kind of rose anemone and they were rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kris4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2021, 07:05 PM   #4
fcmatt
Registered Member

OK. I would figure out a way to add that to my tank. It has been a while since I saw something new and interesting. Now days going to the fish store or shopping online is boring but that is definitely wow material.

fcmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2021, 07:31 AM   #5
Mad Marine
Registered Member

I dived in the Red Sea. These anemones are not H. magnifica, they are E. quadricolor. Why? Because of tentacle shape, over-all size and where they are positioned - I didn't see any bigger than 30cm, H. magnifica grow to 100cm. There are not out in the open getting blown back in forth with strong current, they are usually found in crevices. Just amazingly vibrant colored E. quadricolor!

Mad Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2021, 07:15 PM   #6
brad
Registered Member

These are not common, this was the only one I saw, and several divers familiar with the red sea said they are very rare. It is definitely not E. quadricolor. If you saw a lot of them, you saw something else. Is it definitely H. Magnifica? Hard for me to be certain, but looked more like that than any other anemone I've seen. It is a host anemone, so it is likely a document host species, or a completely undocumented one. It is not an obscure described species that no one on this board has heard of.

There is a lot of footage of "anemone city" at Daedalus. Here is 1 example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV5q...zannaM%2Fy2013

The Daedalus anemones looked identical except for the color. They are larger than 30cm, but no where near 100cm. They are colonial, and people who dived "anemone city" over the years told me it been getting bigger. They are out in the open getting blown back and forth with very strong current.

I've never seen tentacles shaped like this on a BTA. These look like fat pipes with rounded ends and the same diameter in all parts of every tentacle. BTAs usually either have the 'bulb' ends or are somewhat tapered. I've seen some long thin BTA tentacles that mostly the same diameter everywhere, but never 1/10th this thickness and usually longer, at least in relation to the anemone. I have an H. magnifica in my tank, and the shape is somewhat similar, at least more so than anything else.

If you look at the foot, it is a different color than the tentacles, with a sharp live dividing the colors. I don't think I've ever seen this with a BTA. Multicolored BTA's tend to have gradients and varying colors throughout, not sharp divides with everything else being exactly the same color.

Last edited by brad; 09/05/2021 at 07:23 PM.
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Mad Marine
Registered Member

Yes, the anemones in that video are H. magnifica and in this one too (so I could be wrong). Different dive sites, different anemones;

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=203818154875915

Mad Marine is offline   Reply With Quote