Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2021, 04:41 PM   #1
75greefer
Registered Member

Alkalinity and CO2 Scrubber

Due to low PH 7.8 - 7.9 I added a CO2 Scrubber. PH now 8.1 - 8.2 and staying fairly steady. But now demand for dosing Sodium BiCarbinate for Alkalinity has increased significantly. Home watching today and in a 4 hr span Alk went from 8.9 to 8.4. Added 60ml of SBicarb to raise back to around 9. Another 4 hrs later same thing. Is this normal? Ca = 455 Mag = 1300.

75greefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2021, 12:33 PM   #2
reeftivo
Skim junkie

i would lean towards NORMAL.

uptake by corals is most likely increasing due to higher pH. I wouldn't be concerned about chasing numbers (hate that term). just keep one or the other reasonably stable and you should be fine. As long as there isn't a really drastic change happening quickly like 1 or even 2 degrees (say from 9 to 8 dkh or less)

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote