Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2021, 04:33 PM   #1
gallivanmk
Registered Member

Peacock Mantis and Radion Lighting

Long Story short, our peacock mantis is getting a tank upgrade! Currently, we have a 20g high display tank for the mantis and one little blue/yellow damsel plumbed into my 300g reef system. We have a 60g cube with stand and canopy being made that we will probably get this weekend. It will also be plumbed into the reef tank sump/system in the same way as the current mantis tank.

As far as lighting, we currently have some random dimmable white light over the mantis tank that someone gave us and it works perfectly. We keep it fairly dim and whatever spectrum that light is grows zero algae in that tank which is ideal for me since there are no clean-up crew and no corals, etc. I just scrape the green coralline off the acryllic that pops up and turkey baster the rocks before water changes and that's about all it needs for maintenance.

At the same time as the mantis tank upgrade, I am also upgrading my reef tank lighting from gen4 radion xr15 pros to gen5 radion xr30 blues. I would like to put one of the gen4 xr15s over the new mantis cube and I am trying to figure what spectrum and brightness would be ideal.

I have read that too much lighting and certain spectrums can cause shell rot for the mantis. I also want to keep algae growth to a minimum in that tank as there is nothing that should need to photosynthesize. Any advice on what type of light the mantis needs to have and what should be avoided when I set-up the gen4 radion xr15 pro for that tank?

gallivanmk is offline   Reply With Quote