Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2021, 05:48 PM   #2026
vlangel
Registered Member

I am glad that you have had some time to follow other pursuits. Your tank still looks good to me even if it is a bit wild. Seeing before and after pics will be fun.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2021, 08:11 PM   #2027
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Alright, since we're at the top of the page, I'll start with 'before'.

AFTER. I tidied up some algae and caulerpa and pinched seagrass tips. Oh, and I scraped the glass. I balked at the amount of work I was facing and just did a modest tidy.

Maybe the best the macros have ever looked. I love how the Sargassum mingles with the Manatee Grass at the surface. I was able to 'style' the Sargassum in a more vertical position by wrapping seagrass around it. Look back at the before and after shots to see the difference.

Enchanted Garden.

Orange Tree Sponge. Scarlett is still keeping it clear of algae and detritus.

Lots of tall seagrass.

String of Pearls, close up.

It's great to finally fill in the height of my tall tank.

I was never sure how I would get the verticality I wanted in the macros. Luckily, the Sargassum grew out of the live rock. The Gracilaria also provides height.

Despite my half-hearted tidy, the tank cleaned up nice.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 06/06/2021 at 12:55 AM.
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2021, 09:01 PM   #2028
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A few more pics…

Pretty good shot from the end.

I really tried to get a good shot of Scarlett. This was the best I could get. She's twitchy.

The grammas were a little better. I like how they catch the light here.

Top-down view. A fun perspective.

The grammas mostly hang at the dimmer, right end of the tank.

Unread 06/08/2021, 05:22 AM   #2029
vlangel
Registered Member

Love the new pics Michael! It looks to be the perfect amount of tidying to me! The grammas look amazing and we're a really good choice!

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 06/08/2021, 06:50 AM   #2030
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! It's tough to stay on top of cleanup this time of year, with other fun stuff to do. The grammas and tang are both doing well, so I'm happy. I'm in uncharted territory with the grasses and macros growing so tall, but I love how it looks.

I still plan to pull Shoal Grass. I'll send them when I do.

Unread 06/10/2021, 01:28 PM   #2031
vlangel
Registered Member

I appreciate the shoal grass but no hurry. Hopefully I will figure out why the prior shoal grass you gave me is not flourishing before you are ready to pull more.

Unread 06/10/2021, 01:36 PM   #2032
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry they haven't taken off for you. Maybe I didn't pull them with enough care, and there weren't enough roots. I'll try to do better next time. Do you have them rooting in the dirt?

Unread 06/12/2021, 08:24 AM   #2033
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Tank looks good Mike. Nice to see something different.

Unread 06/13/2021, 07:02 PM   #2034
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sorry they haven't taken off for you. Maybe I didn't pull them with enough care, and there weren't enough roots. I'll try to do better next time. Do you have them rooting in the dirt?
Actually, I do not think that it had anything to do with how you pulled them. The shoal grass looked great when they arrived and good for a time after they were planted. Maybe I disturbed them too much when I added the garden dirt or maybe they are just lacking something they need.

Unread 06/13/2021, 07:18 PM   #2035
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey Vinny! Thanks for the kind words.

Unread 06/13/2021, 07:23 PM   #2036
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm sure you'll get a feel for them, Dawn. And they'll get a feel for you and your methods, schedules, etc.

Unread 07/01/2021, 06:55 PM   #2037
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Well, I had to catch up from page 58, but what a great read. Your tank looks fantastic given the trials and tribulations, ups and downs, that you faced along the way. I love how the grass, sargassum, and gracilaria fill out the entire tank vertically. V2 has come a long way. Are you planning on adding any more grammas, or fish, in general?

Sorry about being away so long. I've had a lot going on both at work and at home, not leaving me much time (especially with a fishing habit, LOL).

Dawn, now I need to binge read to catch up on your thread too

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2021, 09:07 PM   #2038
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin! Approaching the vision, for sure. I definitely want more fish. I'm still kicking around different ideas. Probably not more Grammas.

Don't worry about being away. Come when you can and let's have some fun.

Good luck with your build. You're making good progress!

Unread 07/02/2021, 05:19 PM   #2039
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Well, I had to catch up from page 58, but what a great read. Your tank looks fantastic given the trials and tribulations, ups and downs, that you faced along the way. I love how the grass, sargassum, and gracilaria fill out the entire tank vertically. V2 has come a long way. Are you planning on adding any more grammas, or fish, in general?

Sorry about being away so long. I've had a lot going on both at work and at home, not leaving me much time (especially with a fishing habit, LOL).

Dawn, now I need to binge read to catch up on your thread too
My tank has had it's share of ups and downs but in general things are alright. I need to catch up on your build too. I did collect some oyster clusters last week on my vacation which was inspired by your oyster cluster biotope tank

Unread 07/03/2021, 08:13 AM   #2040
vlangel
Registered Member

I concur with Kevin's sentiment about how Michael's tank is maturing beautifully! It has been a fun journey to tag along and I look forward to seeing what fish life will call this tank their home!

Unread 07/13/2021, 09:52 AM   #2041
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's payback time. I've been slacking this spring and summer. Now I'm paying for it.

My tank has gotten overgrown and I'm now trying to get it back under 'control'. I realized pretty quickly that this was going to need to be a multi-day effort. I've put several days together, working on it. Oddly enough, I've been inspired to take it further then I planned. I'd been hoping to pull out the Shoal Grass for months, but I knew I'd need to get the sand bed free of Caulerpa first. This made it quite a daunting task.

I managed to get rid of said Caulerpa, so I figured this was my chance to pull Shoal Grass. So I did. Woo! Dawn, are you ready? I rechecked your thread, and you posted you had grandkids until July 16th, so the timing will be tight. I hope I don't put you in a tough situation.

I also had to pull a bunch of Manatee Grass that had grown into and around the patch reef. This will be replanted in bare patches, after the shoal grass and (sand bed) caulerpa are gone.

Another issue is cyanobacteria. With the tank so overgrown, water movement has been reduced, and cyano has taken the opportunity to 'move in'. I'm doing as much manual removal as possible. Once the replanted manatee grass has had time to take root, I'll do a blackout/erythromycin treatment to hopefully finish it off.

Unread 07/13/2021, 10:01 PM   #2042
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Quite the multi-day experience. So much work! You know that feeling when your tank is on the brink, and you know you'll either step up to regain control, or you bail. Yeah…

I put shoal grass in the mail today. I pulled more manatee grass that was too close to the front glass. That had to be sorted and pruned, and combined with the other grasses I processed yesterday, for replanting. I manually removed another round of sand bed cyanobacteria, before replanting at least a hundred plants.

There's more to do. But the worst of it's done!

Unread 07/15/2021, 09:11 PM   #2043
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I took a break yesterday, but today I went after stragglers-sand bed caulerpa. The manatee grass looks well-spaced, without the shoal grass and caulerpa. I thinks that's important, in the confines of an aquarium. Scarlett was really cleaning up the grass today. That a girl! All the fish are much happier, with much more room to move.

It's coming along!

Unread 07/16/2021, 01:37 PM   #2044
vlangel
Registered Member

I am posting a pic so I need to see a pic of your tank with the shoal grasses exit!

Unread 07/16/2021, 01:53 PM   #2045
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I look forward to showing off! I'm getting there. Next, I need to focus on the macros on the patch reef. They went from best-they've-ever-looked, to ratty, in just a couple of weeks. As soon as I get the tank looking good, I'll get pics. Should be this weekend.

Unread 07/16/2021, 03:51 PM   #2046
vlangel
Registered Member

It's funny how macro algae can do that looking awesome and then not so much in a week, ha ha!

Ok, I will look forward to seeing them.

Unread 07/19/2021, 10:07 PM   #2047
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's a few pics!

Overall, not as shaggy and more 'controlled'.

Pretty good spacing on most of the Manatee Grass. Scarlett's grazing activity has increased, with more elbow room now.

The patch reef is a hive of activity.

Some plants were pulled for getting ratty, so coverage is a touch sparce.

Fiery colors!

The gorgonian that didn't die is doing great.

Unread 07/20/2021, 12:26 PM   #2048
vlangel
Registered Member

Oh wow Michael, everything looks so good! I do not think the patch reef looks space at all, it looks wonderful. It appears as your ecosystem is moving exactly where you envisioned.

Unread 07/20/2021, 02:09 PM   #2049
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Fantastic pics Michael! Your tank is amazing and evolving every time I see a new set up pics. It's always a pleasure to view them, and I crave more

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2021, 02:28 PM   #2050
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn!

It's funny. It took A LOT of work, just to get it back to this state. Even the grasses were overgrown. To me it looks a little less impressive than the last pics, but it was time to reign it in!

I'm also amused with how it went from peak lushness to 'rat's nest' in a couple weeks. That's entropy I guess!

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass