Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2021, 11:25 PM   #1126
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Tons! Thanks for asking, but you may regret it

2018 and 2019 were rough years for me, and therefore for the tank as well. Between work being insane, and some personal medical issues, I admit to a pretty severe amount of neglect towards the tank. Maybe 2 water changes total in that time, and basically throwing in some pellets once a day (at best) for food. I’ll break down the issues using the last complete stock list from 01/07/2018.

Acanthurus leucosternon – removed. He became an aggressive biter.
Labroides dimidiatus
Halichoeres hortulanus - jumped
Genicanthus lamarck X2, the small female injured her eye and died. Interestingly the male recently injured his eye as well, but seems fine with only one.
Holacanthus tricolor
Centropyge loricula – died
Chaetodon auriga – removed. As I feared, became a butterfly bully
Chaetodon burgessi – with no other roaops in the tank, there was no longer any aggression
Chaetodon collare - killed by PBT
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon falcula – killed by PBT
Chaetodon mertensii
Chaetodon rainfordi - died
Chaetodon xanthurus – died due to not eating pellets, so likely starvation
Microcanthus strigatus X2 - Larger/older one died/wasted away
Chrysiptera hemicyanea - disappeared
Chrysiptera talboti x 2 – one disappeared
Pseudochromis sankeyi - disappeared

One thing I think I did was accidentally feed the fish spoiled raw minced shrimp kept in the fridge too long. After feeding, the following fish all stopped eating within a day or two, and died within 7 days. This is just a theory. There was nothing physically wrong with them when they died. Just dead. They were arguably some of the biggest consumers of food in the tank.
Acanthurus fowleri
Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis
Pomacanthus maculosus
Chaetodon fasciatus (also didn’t eat pellets, so there’s that too)

2020 has been a bit of a resurrection for the tank, and myself. At the end of 2019 I left my job of almost 20 years. Amazingly, all my medical issues apparently stayed with the job While I had only planned to take a few months off, a certain pandemic hit, and I ended up taking all 2020 off.
Changes to the tank itself at the start of 2020: I did a major deep clean of the neglected tank. The 2nd fuge with just LR had like 7” of detritus in it. The rest of the filter/sump wasn’t much better. So I first did a major water change where all I did was clean the sump/fuges. I completely removed the LR from the 2nd fuge. Next, I deep cleaned the display LR and internal overflow. I set up a temporary second return pump, a strong one, to maximize flow from the tank to the sump. With a dozen pairs of clean filter socks ready, I started using a MJ1200 to blow clean every nook and cranny of the rock in the tank. You can imagine what a **** storm that was. Filter socks clogged quickly, and were replaced as needed. To clean the inside of the overflow, first I used a long brush throughout. Then I pumped water directly from the sump into the overflow, bypassing the actual tank. Again, multiple socks filled up. And of course, a good size 120g water change was finally done on the system, during which I gravel vacuumed ALL the sand. Again, nothing but grossness to be found LOL.

Not sure if I already said in this thread, but after the SWC300 skimmer pump died, I replaced the entire skimmer with a Reef Octopus Regal 250INT 10" Internal Protein Skimmer (VarioS). I LOVE how quiet the DC pump is, so I also replaced my return pump with a Current Eflux DC pump.

I moved my Neptune AC Jr. from the reef (finally sold that tank too after sitting empty in my living room for years). It basically functions as a glorified light timer.

Lights: The tank originally had 2 x Blue PLUS and 2 x Fiji Purple T5. I added four 4ft TrueLumen Pro strips (2 x daylight, 2 x diamond white) just because I had them laying around for some reason. I also then added some 5050 LED accent lighting (the 5 meter strip rolls you can get from Amazon) 2 x 8ft red, 4 x 8ft violet. There are also 3 smaller LED units used for minor dusk/dawn/moonlight effect. With all these options, and the AC Jr. I can create/simulate all sorts of times of day. At no point during the day are all the lights on, however.

After the tank settled down, I began to restock. Still always using my QT – cupramine, prazi, nitrofuracin green powder, and other meds as needed. I also did metro in food in the main display after most additions were done. Here’s the stock list.

First the old timers:

Labroides dimidiatus – go figure that one out
Genicanthus lamarck – big male
Holacanthus tricolor
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon mertensii
Microcanthus strigatus
Chrysiptera talboti

New additions:

Chaetodon lunula x 2
Chaetodon vagabundus x 2
Chaetodon semilarvatus
Chaetodon kleini x 2 – Likely to remove one or both. Long story here; see below.
Chaetodon rafflesii – current being terrorized by the small vagabundus; very weird. Needs to be removed.
Chaetodon ulietensis – I eventually want a falcula (haven’t been available). If they get along, great, if not, out comes the ulietensis.
Hemitaurichthys polylepis x 3
Forcipiger flavissimus
Apolemichthys trimaculatus
Apolemichthys xanthurus – likely to be removed. Sorry, just unattractive as he ages.
Pomacanthus navarchus – likely to be removed since the Emp doesn’t care for him.
Pomacanthus imperator – his aggression level will determine if he stays long term.
Halichoeres chrysus x 2
Halichoeres melanurus
Pomacentrus alleni
Pomacentrus coelestis
Chrysiptera parasema
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus
Centropyge bispinosa
Genicanthus lamark – small female added
Amphiprion occelaris “gladiator” x 2 – still growing out in the fuge.
Holacanthus ciliaris – still growing out in the fuge. I just always wanted one; not sure what her fate will be.
Zebrasoma xanthurum – tiny; still growing out in the fuge. Unclear if he’ll be put in the main display as my experience with yellow tangs with butterflies was horrible. Also, those bristletooths are feisty.

Regarding the Klein’s, don’t believe everything you read online. I tried every which way to keep a group…. It never worked more than a few months. And man, they get MEAN to each other. Even the two I have left, I don’t think they like each other…. It’s not outright aggression, but it’s not harmonious coupling as far as I can tell, either. I will likely catch and remove at least one. Maybe both. They are just such nervous/spazzy fish… I hate the way they are always freaking out all the other fish with their movements.

QT has the following:

Chaetodon xanthurus
Centropyge bispinosa – tiny
Ecsenius midas
Salarias ramosus

I think that's it
Hi Peter, it's nice to have updates on this amazing FOWLR. As with Matt's thread, it took many days to read it in full but it was worth it, and I have to say that it is a shame to see how the fish that you had since childhood were dying over time; fowleri, Mac and that group of Chaetodontoplus It was spectacular and it's really sad to know that they are no longer exhibited in your tank, on the other hand I'm glad to know that you recovered satisfactorily from your health problems, that is the main thing. I learned a lot from this thread and also from Matt, I'm gathering information to refill my 79G tank, so I wish you success with your fish, and give us photos when you can .

Unread 01/18/2021, 06:57 PM   #1127
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure. Nothing too special. It's a 15g "long" tank. Two Aquaclear hang-on filters, each with two foam blocks, allowing cleaning and changing of the foam to be done alternately without disturbing the biological filtration. I use cupramine at ~0.4 mg/L, dosed over 5 days or so. After making sure they eat well, I will do 2 rounds of Prazi according to label instructions. Water changes can range from every few days to once a week or so, depending on how messy the fish are. Usually fish stay in there for about 6 weeks.
Hey Peter, good to see your post.

Just for clarities sake on the cupramine, you target a dose of 0.4 mg/l and take 5 days to get to that concentration.

Then you hold at that concentration for six weeks.

Am I correct on that? Also, important to note that any water changes would affect the concentration in the tank, so new water would need to be dosed at the tanks concentration as well.

My tank has gone through much of the same cycle of neglect
That yours went through. I’m sad to say I’m still not really out of it, I hope to be soon though.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2021, 12:14 PM   #1128
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
Hi Peter, it's nice to have updates on this amazing FOWLR. As with Matt's thread, it took many days to read it in full but it was worth it, and I have to say that it is a shame to see how the fish that you had since childhood were dying over time; fowleri, Mac and that group of Chaetodontoplus It was spectacular and it's really sad to know that they are no longer exhibited in your tank, on the other hand I'm glad to know that you recovered satisfactorily from your health problems, that is the main thing. I learned a lot from this thread and also from Matt, I'm gathering information to refill my 79G tank, so I wish you success with your fish, and give us photos when you can .
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Hey Peter, good to see your post.

Just for clarities sake on the cupramine, you target a dose of 0.4 mg/l and take 5 days to get to that concentration.

Then you hold at that concentration for six weeks.

Am I correct on that? Also, important to note that any water changes would affect the concentration in the tank, so new water would need to be dosed at the tanks concentration as well.

My tank has gone through much of the same cycle of neglect
That yours went through. I’m sad to say I’m still not really out of it, I hope to be soon though.
Everything you said is correct, except I don't go past 4 weeks with the copper. The extended QT is usually just to make sure the new fish are eating aggressively, so they compete in the main display.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2021, 07:01 PM   #1129
caribfan
Registered Member

Have you considered any of those prognathodes marcellae on divers den lately. Kind of a unique fish.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Unread 01/22/2021, 07:26 PM   #1130
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Have you considered any of those prognathodes marcellae on divers den lately. Kind of a unique fish.
Na... fish prices are kinda nuts right now during the pandemic.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 01/22/2021, 09:59 PM   #1131
caribfan
Registered Member

Good ol’ pandemic pricing. Seems like there is a probably a joke to be made about quarantining fish.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/24/2021, 10:06 PM   #1132
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Na... fish prices are kinda nuts right now during the pandemic.
I'm in Mexico, but I always check LADD, I think that before the pandemic the prices were somewhat similar. Man if only I could buy fish from that section.

Unread 01/25/2021, 01:44 PM   #1133
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
I'm in Mexico, but I always check LADD, I think that before the pandemic the prices were somewhat similar. Man if only I could buy fish from that section.
You are correct, actually. Most Prognathodes species have always been pricey!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 01/25/2021, 01:45 PM   #1134
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Good ol’ pandemic pricing. Seems like there is a probably a joke to be made about quarantining fish.
I've made that joke many times on FB... quarantining fish while quarantining myself . Luckily I got my first vaccine shot yesterday. One down, one to go!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 01/25/2021, 02:23 PM   #1135
caribfan
Registered Member

How are people uploading pictures these days? Back when I was more active, it was photobucket, but I think that doesn't work any more, right?

Current Tank Info:
Unread 01/25/2021, 02:49 PM   #1136
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
How are people uploading pictures these days? Back when I was more active, it was photobucket, but I think that doesn't work any more, right?
Yeah, I maxed out PB and Flickr as I refuse to pay money just to host pics online. Other forums I use automatically resize files when uploaded directly.... this one is so archaic you have to resize it manually yourself. Don't expect to see any pics from me any time soon LOL..

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 01/25/2021, 03:55 PM   #1137
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, I maxed out PB and Flickr as I refuse to pay money just to host pics online. Other forums I use automatically resize files when uploaded directly.... this one is so archaic you have to resize it manually yourself. Don't expect to see any pics from me any time soon LOL..
That's a shame Peter, although I agree that PB is a headache, many photos previously posted here on RC have disappeared, but I guess you could just attach the image files in your post.
By the way, what product do you recommend to use instead of prazi during qt?

Unread 01/25/2021, 04:26 PM   #1138
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
That's a shame Peter, although I agree that PB is a headache, many photos previously posted here on RC have disappeared, but I guess you could just attach the image files in your post.
By the way, what product do you recommend to use instead of prazi during qt?
The PB photos are still there, it's just that PB has stopped direct linking unless you pay.

I've only ever used prazi for flukes.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 01/30/2021, 06:55 PM   #1139
caribfan
Registered Member

I typically do a fresh water dip if I suspect flukes. It’s a great way to determine if the fish is actually infected. 5-10 minutes in freshwater matched for temp and pH will clean them off the fish. If I see flukes, then I’ll dose Prazi.

I’ve kind of had more issues with prazi than I’ve had successes.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 02/06/2021, 10:07 AM   #1140
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

OK, I decided I am too old to get stressed out by aggressive fish during a pandemic LOL. So, the following happened:

Current Stock:

Amphiprion occelaris “gladiator” x 2 – still growing out in the fuge.
Apolemichthys xanthurus – currently in the fuge looking for a new home.
Centropyge bispinosa - died. Unsure why.
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon mertensii
Chaetodon lunula x 2
Chaetodon vagabundus x 2
Chaetodon semilarvatus - of course the most expensive fish in the tank up and dies for no apparent reason.
Chaetodon kleini – removed all but 1.
Chaetodon rafflesii – was never able to catch him. Just disappeared one day. Darn murderous vagabond!
Chaetodon ulietensis
Chrysiptera parasema x 2
Chrysiptera talboti
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ecsenius midas
Forcipiger flavissimus
Genicanthus lamarck – M/F pair
Halichoeres chrysus x 2
Halichoeres melanurus
Holacanthus ciliaris – sold to new home.
Holacanthus tricolor
Labroides dimidiatus
Microcanthus strigatus
Pomacanthus imperator – sold to new home. Too aggressive.
Pomacanthus navarchus
Pomacentrus alleni
Pomacentrus coelestis
Salarias ramosus
Zebrasoma xanthurum – sold to new home.

QT has the following:

Chaetodon xanthurus
Centropyge bispinosa – tiny

Will likely move the QT fish over soon. Probably nothing planned for the near future, as fish selection online seems pretty low right now.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Last edited by SDguy; 02/06/2021 at 03:21 PM.
Unread 02/06/2021, 07:04 PM   #1141
caribfan
Registered Member

Good to see an update Peter. Feels like this forum and especially this part of the forum is crickets compared to what it used to be.

You don’t by chance have any of Ted’s info? It would be nice to see an update from him. Maybe send a PM if you do.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 02/06/2021, 07:12 PM   #1142
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Good to see an update Peter. Feels like this forum and especially this part of the forum is crickets compared to what it used to be.

You don’t by chance have any of Ted’s info? It would be nice to see an update from him. Maybe send a PM if you do.
Not sure about Ted... while his FB page was somewhat active, it appears that he himself hasn't posted on it since July 2018. He did check-in on FB to a LFS in January of 2019. I sent him a message via FB. Hope he is OK?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Last edited by SDguy; 02/06/2021 at 07:23 PM.
Unread 02/06/2021, 10:03 PM   #1143
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Not sure about Ted... while his FB page was somewhat active, it appears that he himself hasn't posted on it since July 2018. He did check-in on FB to a LFS in January of 2019. I sent him a message via FB. Hope he is OK?
That’s a shame, I’m not sure anyone really understood what his collection really meant to RC or to the hobby. So much rarity in one tank.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 05/21/2021, 07:07 PM   #1144
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Here's an updated video from the other day. Really happy with the collection at this point.

https://youtu.be/wq4hwMux69s

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 05/22/2021, 11:14 AM   #1145
E.intheC
Registered Member

Looks good!

Unread 05/23/2021, 06:37 AM   #1146
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
Looks good!
Thanks. Somehow I ended up with ich in the tank (I assume transferred from QT via a cup, feeding utensil, tubing, something like that). Cupramine was successful, though there were some losses.

Here's an updated list of the inhabitants.

Amphiprion occelaris “gladiator” x 2 – moved from the fuge to the main diusplay.
Apolemichthys xanthurus – currently in the fuge looking for a new home.
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon mertensii - died from ich.
Chaetodon lunula x 2
Chaetodon vagabundus x 1 - one died from ich.
Chaetodon kleini
Chaetodon ulietensis
Chrysiptera parasema x 2
Chrysiptera talboti
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ecsenius midas - accidentally killed by me when I left him high and dry in his hole during a water change
Forcipiger flavissimus - disappeared one day. I *think* his remains eventually found their way to the Tunze.
Genicanthus lamarck – M/F pair
Halichoeres chrysus x 2
Halichoeres melanurus
Hemitaurichthys zoster x 2
Holacanthus tricolor
Labroides dimidiatus
Microcanthus strigatus
Paracanthurus hepatus - I was getting too many comments about all the yellow in my tank.
Pomacanthus annularis - Tiny juvi. I would have rather gotten another blueline, but they are WAY too expensive right now.
Pomacanthus navarchus
Pomacentrus alleni
Pomacentrus coelestis
Salarias ramosus
Xanthichthys auromarginatus

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Last edited by SDguy; 05/23/2021 at 06:57 AM.
Unread 06/17/2021, 07:43 PM   #1147
E.intheC
Registered Member

That’s a bummer about the ich outbreak, and sorry to hear about your fish that passed.

How much are the blue line angels going for at the moment? I haven’t seen one in person in a long time.

And did you ever hear back from Ted?

Unread 06/29/2021, 06:02 PM   #1148
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
That’s a bummer about the ich outbreak, and sorry to hear about your fish that passed.

How much are the blue line angels going for at the moment? I haven’t seen one in person in a long time.

And did you ever hear back from Ted?
LA has had them for like 500+. NYA has them way more affordable. I tried one. It died in 3 days in QT. So bluelines are just off the table for me.

No, never heard from ted.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 07/01/2021, 05:09 AM   #1149
caribfan
Registered Member

Tank looks awesome, it is a lot of yellow, but I like yellow.

Always such an inspiration. Hope You’re doing well. I’m in the middle of farm season, so barely enough time to feed the fish, but maybe this fall I’ll be able to start adding a few cast members back to the tank.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 07/01/2021, 05:38 AM   #1150
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Tank looks awesome, it is a lot of yellow, but I like yellow.

Always such an inspiration. Hope You’re doing well. I’m in the middle of farm season, so barely enough time to feed the fish, but maybe this fall I’ll be able to start adding a few cast members back to the tank.
Well, the loss of the annularis the other day isn't helping the yellow situation Just like others in the past... Eating, growing, changing color, super active one day, then the next... swimming in place... no interest in food, and dead within 24-48 hrs (no exaggeration in this description or timeline). This time I actually found her sort of gasping/convulsing on the sand. Yikes! This standard MO mysterious fish death I see occasionally (the semilarvatus was another recent victim) is totally unexplainable. I have to think it is something internal, outside of my control... but who knows. Short of an autopsy, not sure I ever will know.

And thanks for the kind words... probably best you don't have the time now. Availability and prices are still all over the place. I have yet to see a falcula butterfly since early 2020, and for some reason yellow pyramids are now 200-300 dollars a pop!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.