Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2011, 06:01 PM   #1
mrdamsel
Registered Member

Help! Pipefish care and feeding

Hello! I am a beginner and have 6 months of experience and have had my tank setup for only 2 and a half months. I have mastered feeding and dosing the tank. I never ever overfeed the tank either. I feed the tank with prime reef flakes and PE mysis shrimp. I was wondering what would be the hardiest pipefish for my 40 gallon and, if any, what should I feed it. My current livestock is the following:

x1 small tank bred occelaris clown

x1 small yellow tang (it is only 4 inches and is very happy in my tank and interacts well with other fish. When it gets bigger, I will give it to my LFS who has a 150 gallon.)

x1 blue velvet damsel tank bred and is very peaceful for a damsel. It often plays with my clown and never has ever harmed anything.

x1 lawnmower Blenny who I give a sheet of seaweed every 4 days to.

mrdamsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2011, 06:31 PM   #2
mtc1966
Registered Member

other then the blenny i don't believe your current stock would be compatible with pipe fish. they would out compete them for food.

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2011, 08:02 PM   #3
TamiW
Seahorse Wrangler

A flagtail pipefish is the only thing I would consider attempting in your setup - however I would get rid of the damsel first. They get meaner as they get older, and yours is probably very young yet. You'll also likely need to get a smaller type of mysis, either hikari or mini-mysis.

It's all about the snick!

Current Tank Info: I have a fish room.
TamiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 11:25 AM   #4
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgrrl View Post
a flagtail pipefish is the only thing i would consider attempting in your setup - however i would get rid of the damsel first. They get meaner as they get older, and yours is probably very young yet. You'll also likely need to get a smaller type of mysis, either hikari or mini-mysis.
+1

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 10:51 AM   #5
NatureNerd
Registered Member

Pipefish are difficult to feed. Mine refuses all foods except the pods he hunts for all day long. Unless you get real lucky and have lots of pods in your tank, they will perish. That is my experience with dragon faced pipefish. I have tried every food I can find. If it isn't alive, he won't touch it.

Unread 01/11/2012, 12:25 PM   #6
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

I agree with Tami...go with flagfins. I've kept D. janssi (Janss' pipefish) in a community reef with excellent results. If your tank is that young, unless you QT them and get them eating and weaned onto frozen mysis, your DT won't support them.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Reefers4U
Registered Member

so... as long as your tank has enough pods (like supporting draggonets) and calm reef inhabitants - no meanie damsel fish or aggro angels - then reef tanks can support pipefish?

I see pipefish in the reef while scuba diving all the time.

Current Tank Info: 120 Visio // Radions // Eschopps Skimmer // MP40 x2 // Tunze ATO // BRS Dosing Pumps and Dual Reactor // Apex Gold //
Reefers4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Luis A M
Premium Member

Expecting pipes or mandarins to survive just on the natural harp.copepod population of your tank leads usually to failure.They must be offered external food,live first and then weaned to frozen stuff.

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2012, 04:50 PM   #9
small alien
The fungus is among us.

I've had best luck with nutramar prawn roe and hikari mysis. PE is a bit large. Also, try frozen copepods like cyclopeeze.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2012, 05:09 PM   #10
RyanTurner
Registered Member

My Blues stripes love nutramar Ova and cyclopeeze.

Unread 01/21/2012, 06:09 PM   #11
Luis A M
Premium Member

It depends on species but also on individuals.My D.excisus takes everything and is the easiest species to keep.My D.dactilyophorus pair so far has not taken anything other than live copepods.

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 gallon, care, pipefish, reef