Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2021, 08:37 PM   #1
FlyboySMB
Registered Member

New tank - new house build

Building a fish room in my new construction home. Looking for comments/thoughts.

The tank will be 60 x ~34 x ~ 28 (the 60” is fixed but width & height can vary. I’m going to have the overflow on one end of the tank and dual returns at the other end of the tank. I want to be able to view the tank from the front (family room) and from inside my fish room. I do want some type of black screen I can remove for viewing while I am in the fish room and hang up when I’m not so you can’t see into the fish room from the family room side.

The fish room is 8’ wide, that gives me a foot on each end of the tank. I plan o run steel across the entire 8’ span so there are no supports under the tank for easy sump access.

Something like this (view from above the entry door).

Thoughts...... Thanks

E09BFA29-5166-4572-AD7C-1A948D8CFF36.jpeg

FlyboySMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2021, 08:34 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Thoughts, sounds like a plan I would modify if possible.
Working on the floor gets old REAL FAST. Put the sump on a bench. It will reduce the pump head, make it easier to work on thereby getting things done when needed in less time.
As for a black screen, how about a piece of thin black abs you can either hang on or stick to the back. I have worked on in wall tanks. Do yourself a big favor & have a front access panel also.

Unread 05/04/2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Brieninsac
Registered Member

New tank - new house build

I think you’d find some counter space next to the sink nice. I’d also think about wall mounted racks and hooks to hang things. Can you make that room any bigger?

Unread 05/04/2021, 09:00 PM   #4
FlyboySMB
Registered Member

Will for sure have a front access panel. A higher sump would be nice, but that will make it more cramped to the bottom of the tank. So what’s worse, on the floor with head room above the sump or on a stand with less head room? Will for sure consider raising the sump!

I do want counter space, I’m fixed with the room size, so I’ll have to see how the space plays out. I also need to put my water mixing station someplace as well.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Steve

FlyboySMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2021, 02:07 PM   #5
scott324
Registered Member

Have the builder run ductwork for an exhaust fan. That room will get very humid. Have the electrician run you some dedicated circuits to the room. If you can get away with it, skip the arc fault circuit breakers, mine nuisance trip all the time. You may want to have 2 circuits, one GFCI, one regular and split critical devices across the 2 circuits.

scott324 is offline   Reply With Quote