Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2021, 08:51 PM   #1
griss
RC Mod

Iwasaki 15000k MH Bulbs

Hey guys and gals. I’ve been in the hobby a very long time (since 1986) and recently had a several year break due to life. Anyway, I’m ready to jump back in with both feet and want to go, “old school” lighting. My favorite MH bulb in the past was the Iwasaki 15000k 175 watt or MT175Aqua2/HOR-E30/41R. Great color and growth when combined with actinic. I bought 8 from eBay for my upcoming build (all the seller had). However, I can’t seem to find anymore. Eye North America / Iwasaki is not responding to my emails or voicemails that I’ve sent/left over the last month. All the online retailers, both hobby and general lighting, don’t seem to know if this bulb is still made. If anyone knows if this bulb is till made and where I can buy them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder
griss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Dan.
Registered Member

Not a clue. I've been using Hamilton 14K

Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2021, 07:09 AM   #3
griss
RC Mod

Finally got a response from Eye/Iwasaki and that bulb was discontinued. I also exchanged emails with Premium Aquatics and Champion Lighting. Both informed me that, due to the popularity of LEDs, many MH manufacturers have discontinued a lot of their bulbs.

For those looking for similar bulbs, Premium Aquatics recommends the Ushio 10K Bulb and Champion recommends the Reef Brite 14K.

Unread 05/20/2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Misled
RC Mod

When I ran halides, I used the Reef Brite for quite a few years. Nice color.

Unread 05/21/2021, 09:10 AM   #5
hottuna
Registered Member

" Both informed me that, due to the popularity of LEDs, many MH manufacturers have discontinued a lot of their bulbs."

sad, but true...MH may never be a viable reef light again....

Unread 05/21/2021, 02:21 PM   #6
griss
RC Mod

Well, I found 7 Aqua Connect 11K bulbs on ebay the other day for $18 each. I did a little research and found good review on these bulbs. So, I ordered all 7. The seller emailed me later and said he actually had 8 in stock and the threw in the 8th bulb for free.

So, with 8 Iwasakis, 8 Aqua Connect and 6 Reeflux that I have from a previous purchase, I should be good on bulbs for about 10 years

Unread 05/23/2021, 10:30 AM   #7
Dan.
Registered Member

Good deal!
I just bought a pair of Lumenbrite Large from a guy, and he threw in two new Radiums!

Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote