Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2021, 10:12 AM   #1
rainsong
Registered Member

Using a Freshwater tank for Saltwater

I am new to saltwater tanks.

I have a 150 gallon acrylic tank that I am currently using as a freshwater planted tank. I am in the process of taking the tank down to convert it to a saltwater tank.

Are there any special cleaning/disinfecting tips? Or any special DOs and DONTs?

Thanks!

rainsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

No, not really.

Other than, "Don't scratch it!"

Seriously, simple cleaning with water should suffice, but if you are worried, you can use a 10% bleach solution soak, then rinse, then air dry.

Kevin

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2021, 11:21 AM   #3
kfisc
Registered Member

People do this pretty often. The main concern is whatever treatment (especially those with copper) you had been using in the freshwater tank may have left residue. But a rinse with a water and bleach solution (light on the bleach, like a capful for a gallon or so) and drying it well should do the trick.

You were probably planning that, anyway. Some rinse further with RODI just to be extra cautious.

Good luck!

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2021, 07:34 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Welcome to RC, rainsong!

As stated above, there's not much to do, switching over to saltwater. Just a basic cleaning.

I have bounced back and forth with fresh and saltwater versions of my acrylic 180 gallon tank. Currently, I'm running a Planted Saltwater setup, combining what I learned from both sides of the hobby. My thread, "Weeds", down in the Macro Algae Section may interest you. Come by and check it out. Here's a taste:

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2021, 07:38 PM   #5
rainsong
Registered Member

Woah!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/20/2021, 08:37 PM   #6
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Another successful conversion coming

Unread 06/20/2021, 11:11 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Things you will (ideally) need: a downflow box, partitioned sump, skimmer, heater, autotopoff with reservoir, refractometer, various hoses, hose clamps, and good tests for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. Re metals, salt water is very aggressive with all metals except noble metals and aluminum, so no hose clamps underwater, no copper (poison), and you do have the choice between a submerged vs non-submerged pump. You can look up all of these. Most spendy things are your skimmer, pump, and sump, but you CAN use an ordinary aquarium as your sump, gluing in partitions that give you room for your skimmer, and a way to keep any moss you might have in your sump (or stray fish) from getting into your pump. For skimmers, the most efficent ones produce a fine foam, and sit in the sump. Since they have a habit of overflowing under some conditions, this is not a bad thing.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2021, 11:35 PM   #8
Fiish
Registered Member

Excellent size to start in saltwater, the bigger the better, by the way, if you are thinking of placing canisters as filtration for salt water you better forget that idea, a sump is ideal, it's also quite fun to configure and put it on going.

Unread 06/21/2021, 02:54 AM   #9
rainsong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Things you will (ideally) need: a downflow box, partitioned sump, skimmer, heater, autotopoff with reservoir, refractometer, various hoses, hose clamps, and good tests for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. Re metals, salt water is very aggressive with all metals except noble metals and aluminum, so no hose clamps underwater, no copper (poison), and you do have the choice between a submerged vs non-submerged pump. You can look up all of these. Most spendy things are your skimmer, pump, and sump, but you CAN use an ordinary aquarium as your sump, gluing in partitions that give you room for your skimmer, and a way to keep any moss you might have in your sump (or stray fish) from getting into your pump. For skimmers, the most efficent ones produce a fine foam, and sit in the sump. Since they have a habit of overflowing under some conditions, this is not a bad thing.

Excellent information…. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/21/2021, 10:23 AM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

One other thing---evaporation is a good thing in saltwater if you're keeping corals, because you can put a calcium supplement in your topoff (fresh) water, and the evaporation rate keeps it feeding in via the autotopoff. My 50 gallon tank evaps a gallon a day. This does mean you need a lot of very pure fresh water including your very first fill, because the list of bad things in the water we drink is extensive, and evaporation causes buildup of those things in the aquarium. To produce water this pure, get a 4-cylinder ro/di filter (check our sponsors) and use that for your topoff. It strips out everything but the H's and O's in H2O.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2021, 11:42 AM   #11
rainsong
Registered Member

So far, I have ordered a Lifereef SVS2-24 skimmer and purchased a used BRS 6-stage RO/DI. I plan to order a baffle kit for my 40 gallon breeder.

Thanks for the good info.

Unread 07/01/2021, 07:30 PM   #12
BigDave
Registered Member

The hardest part about making the switch is figuring out how to get the water to the sump.

Most of the people I know that swapped either drilled, or had their tank drilled for a BeanAnimal overflow. It worked well for me when I had my saltwater tank running.

I went the other way recently and went back to freshwater. My latest house doesn't have the room for the larg 120 gallon Cube'd reef I used to run.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2021, 07:03 AM   #13
Dan.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
So far, I have ordered a Lifereef SVS2-24 skimmer and purchased a used BRS 6-stage RO/DI. I plan to order a baffle kit for my 40 gallon breeder.

Thanks for the good info.
Love Lifereef skimmers!

Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2021, 08:45 AM   #14
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Unless you know the person with the RO unit I would replace all the filters & membrane.

Unread 07/30/2021, 04:46 PM   #15
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I recently sold a Maxcap 180 that was ten years old, with the high-rejection rate membrane option, and it was still outputting .002