Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2021, 04:12 AM   #1
Josepz
Registered Member

Used Tunze 9006 or better option?

Hi.
I am searching for an skimmer for my 600l tank, but I have only 46cms (or 18 inches) between the bottom of the sump and the main tank, so the skimmer must be less of 46cms long. I can buy an used Tunze 9006 that seems to fit for 100€, but I am not sure if this a good option or should I go for another brand/model that fit in that space...

Please, give me some recommendations

THANKS

Josepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2021, 05:28 PM   #2
reeftivo
Skim junkie

158 gallon display with only 18 inches height to play with in sump-YIKES!
only thing that i can think of that would skim well for those specs would be a Tunze 9410. i wouldn't bother with the 9006.

TUNZE MASTER DOC PROTEIN SKIMMER 9410 DC
$434.99

you would probably still need to tilt the skimmer to get the cup off, Doable though. Just about any skimmer you decide to use will probably be either very tight or undersized. You could always go the external route if that's an option for you. May be an eye sore though depending on where the tank is located.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller

Last edited by reeftivo; 06/08/2021 at 05:40 PM.
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2021, 02:16 AM   #3
Josepz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
158 gallon display with only 18 inches height to play with in sump-YIKES!
only thing that i can think of that would skim well for those specs would be a Tunze 9410. i wouldn't bother with the 9006.

TUNZE MASTER DOC PROTEIN SKIMMER 9410 DC
$434.99

you would probably still need to tilt the skimmer to get the cup off, Doable though. Just about any skimmer you decide to use will probably be either very tight or undersized. You could always go the external route if that's an option for you. May be an eye sore though depending on where the tank is located.
The hight is because I put the sump on the aquarium table bottom shelf... anyway, even if I put it directly on the ground I get get maybe 6-7 cms more...
I can go for an external skimmer, because the aquarium cabinet is longer than the tank, and I have free space on both sides, but I had bad experiencies with external , out of sump devices and water leaks

So, Tunze 9006 is a bad option? I haven't found much reviews about this model, it seems it was not a bestseller.

THANKS for your answer.

Unread 06/09/2021, 07:10 AM   #4
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josepz View Post
The hight is because I put the sump on the aquarium table bottom shelf... anyway, even if I put it directly on the ground I get get maybe 6-7 cms more...
I can go for an external skimmer, because the aquarium cabinet is longer than the tank, and I have free space on both sides, but I had bad experiencies with external , out of sump devices and water leaks

So, Tunze 9006 is a bad option? I haven't found much reviews about this model, it seems it was not a bestseller.

THANKS for your answer.
9006 is finecky IME. Any fluctuations in water level or hands in the tank and the foam head drops out. It is also a very slow starter when ever you shut it down. Mine wouldn't settle back in for like 6 to 8 hours after i fired it back up and would never produce any substantial amount of skimmate. i dropped in an old bubble magus NAC6 i had lying around and it kicked the 9006's butt. Pump died shortly after on the NAC but it still worked better. Not a fan, sorry.

if you drop the sump the 7 cm you should have enough room for the 9410 cup removal without having to tilt it. i wouldn't recommend the non DC version of the 9410 unless you like noise. they skim very well, but the AC versions with the turboflotor pump had a lot of vibration. their new DC pumps are much better.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
Unread 06/09/2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Josepz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
9006 is finecky IME. Any fluctuations in water level or hands in the tank and the foam head drops out. It is also a very slow starter when ever you shut it down. Mine wouldn't settle back in for like 6 to 8 hours after i fired it back up and would never produce any substantial amount of skimmate. i dropped in an old bubble magus NAC6 i had lying around and it kicked the 9006's butt. Pump died shortly after on the NAC but it still worked better. Not a fan, sorry.

if you drop the sump the 7 cm you should have enough room for the 9410 cup removal without having to tilt it. i wouldn't recommend the non DC version of the 9410 unless you like noise. they skim very well, but the AC versions with the turboflotor pump had a lot of vibration. their new DC pumps are much better.
Thank you very much for your honesty. Your words are very valuable to help me take a decision. I will forget the 9006. I'm going to see if 9014 DC fits or what other model, external or not will be fine. Move down the sump is the last I want to do... but if there is no other way,.... Again, THANKS.

Unread 06/09/2021, 01:39 PM   #6
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josepz View Post
Thank you very much for your honesty. Your words are very valuable to help me take a decision. I will forget the 9006. I'm going to see if 9014 DC fits or what other model, external or not will be fine. Move down the sump is the last I want to do... but if there is no other way,.... Again, THANKS.
think the 9410 is like just over 16 inches tall. been a while since i checked the height on mine. At work now or i would throw you a measurement.

good luck with the search

the ATB "nano one" is a super shorty too under 16". 6 inch body and 3.25 neck. That skims like a beast too. they are on sale at ATB USA right now. only need an inch to remove the cup.

the ATB is a little small (short) for 600l but it will skim well since your options for internals are limited.

Unread 06/09/2021, 01:57 PM   #7
reeftivo
Skim junkie

here's a pic of the ATB in a 15" high sump. operates nice at 6.5 to 7 inches depth

tideline20 sump.jpg

Unread 06/09/2021, 01:59 PM   #8
reeftivo
Skim junkie

skim pic

atb air-water line pic.jpg

Unread 06/09/2021, 07:49 PM   #9
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Doesn't Tunze have that weird collection hose?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2021, 07:37 AM   #10
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Doesn't Tunze have that weird collection hose?
they do

the foam extractor

works well.

mine got crushed in a box in the garage so i tossed it. i dont think it reduces the height from what i remember.
plus, it's a bit awkward to configure draining outside the sump due to the 90 and "not so" flex hose LOL. the 90 can be removed but that hose is so big-yikes!
PIC
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/pi...ictureid=30051

Unread 06/21/2021, 10:41 AM   #11
smatter
Registered Member

The foam extractor is included with the 9410 now.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote