Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2012, 08:11 PM   #26
Coralreefin
Registered Member

After some time away and some research, I decide to try again... I ran across a tiny scribbled boxfish... I think I spent more on food than on the fish! I believe it is a female... she is still a little shy... but doing well after long acclimation. Her she is...

Coralreefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2012, 08:47 PM   #27
clowntriggerfis
Moved On

Thats a nice boxfish, good luck with her.

clowntriggerfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2015, 10:33 PM   #28
Joke
Registered Member

Long horns need very large tanks people are not always aware of how large they grow to

Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2015, 10:39 PM   #29
Joke
Registered Member

So sad he did not survive

Unread 10/25/2015, 10:41 PM   #30
Joke
Registered Member

The scribbled boxfish are by far my fave they also stay small and are quite hardy IMO good luck

Unread 10/26/2015, 06:22 AM   #31
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

You do realize this thread you posted to is almost 4 years old?

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2021, 12:43 PM   #32
Dward
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackee View Post
These are great fish. I've had dozens of them because I collect them here in NJ in late summer as tiny Gulf Stream strays, most less than an inch long. They are easy to feed, and quite hardy. They become an increasingly nervous fish as they grow larger, and they do grow very large. They have a tendency to take off in bursts of amazing speed and force when startled, bending their horns on the aquarium glass. Size is the biggest problem with these great fish.

There is a photo on my Public Profile of an especially beautiful Scrawled Cowfish that I collected in NJ. It was, when the pic was taken, about 15 months old. After another year had passed I donated it to a local public aquarium. It had gotten too large and too jumpy. You can see the slightly bent horns in the pic. There is another pic of an inch long Scrawled Cowfish on my Public Profile taken 4 months after I collected it from a dock piling in Barnegat Bay. It's sharing a tank with a newly caught Spotted Drum from Panama. The small Cowfish that drift up here on the Gulf Stream all die when the water gets cold in October.
Hi, I’m interested in pulling a seine net with you in nj. I usually go to Long Island and get tropical Drifters. I’m looking for new places to go. Where do yo net the cow fish in NJ?
Thanks Ed

Dward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2021, 08:00 PM   #33
dYno
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanothon View Post
I have seen a sudden influx of these into the lfs lately. One near me got 4 in a month or two. I would have loved to get one but I already have a 10" Longhorn and I have seen how aggressive it got towards a Burrfish I put in the tank. I assume something even closer to its species would be dead meat.

IMO I think it should be pretty similar to a Longhorn. As long as you make sure it can get some food, it does well with most tankmates. I've had mine with a burrfish, wrasse, and angelfish which are all aggressive eaters.
10" cowfish? Wooow, please post a picture.

dYno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cowfish