Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2015, 07:30 PM   #26
Rogerscody17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrott View Post
Yeah, I did none of those 6 things when transferring from a 65g to a 120g and nothing perished. Temp was off by a degree or 2 and SG was different by 0.002.
And I didn't make any extra water either. Didn't add any extra LR too.
Why and what would you "dip" your rock into??

Shouldn't have made this post... But dipping to kill any anything such as bristleworms and what not. (The bad ones of course)

Healthier tank for the future.

THIS IS MY OPIONION, once again for others. Lol

Rogerscody17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 07:46 PM   #27
wrott
Registered Member

Sorry for giving you a hard time!
I know you're just trying to help others not screw up.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 11:23 PM   #28
Rogerscody17
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, I did none of those 6 things when transferring from a 65g to a 120g and nothing perished. Temp was off by a degree or 2 and SG was different by 0.002.
And I didn't make any extra water either. Didn't add any extra LR too.
Why and what would you "dip" your rock into??
Quote:
Sorry for giving you a hard time!
I know you're just trying to help others not screw up.
No hard times lol. Sorry for not making any of my points clear. I was already stressed enough to elaborate what I was trying to say. Forgot I even made the post since yesterday.

Unread 01/18/2015, 12:49 AM   #29
jonwright
Registered Member

Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post
that one was a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
One of my favorites was the ginger thread.

I found it and read it.

Yikes.

That is all.

jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 10:30 PM   #30
Rogerscody17
Registered Member

I came to the conclusion that instead of everyone going off topic, give me suggestions on how I should change the post.

With the amount of views, I'm worried that someone will follow my such lame and non-useful opinions and accidentally crash there tank!!!(what it seems like)

Sooooo.... Would ANYBODY like to pitch in there ideas(steps), so I can correct the issue?

Unread 01/19/2015, 11:10 PM   #31
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Well, since I was the one who started in with the snide comments (intended as humorous, by the way, not mean) least I can do is wave my shorts in the wind too ...

About 15 months ago I upgraded from a 90 gallon mixed reef to a 265. The latter had to go in the same physical place which adds complication. However, the change over went about as well as it could have. So, what was my secret? Lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat, of course, but here's what I did (dives for cover ):

1. Knew long before that a 90 was unlikely to be the final tank, so I oversized the sump and most of the equipment.
2. 265 - 90 = 175; so I made sure to have 250 gallons of newly made up salt water (murphy's law and all) - adjusted for a temperature and salinity match (no need to fuss with things like pH or alk) though I see no reason necessarily to have to use the same brand of salt. I converted from RC to IO.
3. Upgrading is an opportunity to fix all the prior mistakes; and make a whole lot of new ones. One to fix was putting base rocks on the very bottom, not on top of the sand. So, have some spare pieces of dry rock on hand just in case. FWIW, the 1 - 1 1/2 lb per gallon rule of thumb is complete poppycock.
4. It's a controversial topic, but I have always reused sand - maybe not the very lowest layer, but certainly enough to preserve as many benthic worms, etc., as possible. Used old sand as bottom layer; washed new dry sand as the top layer.
5. Transfer live rock, corals and as much of the old tank volume as possible first; then add as much new water as is needed to complete the fill. I do not recommend using the changeover as an opportunity to add a whole lot of new rock; let the system stabilize first. There's plenty of time to add more stuff down the road.
6. If you have reason to believe you have ich, or anything else nasty in the tank, this is an excellent opportunity to treat.
7. As long as you don't add incrementally to the livestock load, cycling should be minimal or even nonexistent (I did not have one). One exception should be to plan to add more CUC members.

Have lots of buckets and towels on hand. A fellow reefer also helps, though plan to treat your wife (or husband) to a massage so she or he is out of the house. Estimate duration of transfer, add 50% ...... and then double it. Plan for a few dripping fittings - always the ones that are most difficult to reach so have a selection of PVC on hand.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 01/19/2015 at 11:24 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 11:14 PM   #32
kendrid
Registered Member

I upgrade from a 90 to 125 (not a huge upgrade but still a move). Since you asked for our opinions, below are mine. No one is saying your advice is going to cause harm, the way it was worded is like it is 100% fact when many will disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerscody17 View Post
1)It's best to save all the the water or a lot of, from previous water changes. This is so you just need to warm up the water prior to putting it in the tank.
Just save the tank water from the old tank and mix with new water.

Quote:
2)If you are going to mix up fresh saltwater to fill in the amount you need, use THE SAME SALT BRAND. Don't go buying a cheaper or better salt mix. Your corals and fish like the one you've been using.(I'm assuming)
Yes, use the same salt.

Quote:
3)Dip your corals and rocks before the transfer.
Unless you had pests I don't see the reason for this.

Quote:
4)PREPARE EXTRA WATER. PREPARE EXTRA WATER. PREPARE EXTRA WATER.
At least enough for the old tank water + new tank plus the 5 or so gallons you spill on the floor during the transfer.

Quote:
5) MATCH ALLLLL TEMPS and SALINITY.
Salinity should be spot on 1.026. Temp - a few degrees off isn't going to hurt anything.

Quote:
6)Last but not least... PLEASE do not avoid this......
Add the appropriate amount MORE NEEDED live rock!!!
I don't agree with this at all. I add 30 more pounds of dry rock to my new tank. Nothing died and the new rock is already turning into live rock.

I reused my sand (1" bed) and didn't have a cycle. Everything is growing great in their new home.

If you had issues with a previous transfer you may have had an ammonia spike or something else go wrong.

kendrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 11:31 PM   #33
Rogerscody17
Registered Member

Thank you for both your inputs, more WELCOMED.

I will hop on the computer Tommorow to change a few things. Thanks.

Tags
mistake, reef, upgrade