Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2017, 07:56 PM   #26
Jberge60
Registered Member

Also should I clean the bio balls?

Jberge60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 08:10 PM   #27
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberge60 View Post
Also should I clean the bio balls?
No

Unread 01/03/2017, 08:20 PM   #28
Jberge60
Registered Member

Also should I clean the bio balls? Or did they just clean themselves with my full tank of fresh water?

Unread 01/03/2017, 08:20 PM   #29
Jberge60
Registered Member

Didn't mean to post that whole thing again

Unread 01/03/2017, 08:23 PM   #30
Jberge60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
No
So large wc and hook up the skimmer?

Unread 01/04/2017, 06:26 AM   #31
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberge60 View Post
So large wc and hook up the skimmer?
Correct. You likely stirred up a lot of nutrients when doing your swap over. You can change out filter pads every couple of weeks plus do water changes regularly while your skimmer breaks in. As long as ammonia and nitrites are 0, and the salinity is within 1.024 & 1.026 you should have no problem acclimating the fish so long as the temp and pH are in line.

Poly pads are also great IME at sucking up excess nutrients.

Unread 01/04/2017, 09:47 AM   #32
crawlerman
Registered Member

You can make a sump out of an old aquarium and some glass from home depot. I made my first one out of a 30G I bought for $30. You can get glass cut to the size you need and use aquarium grade silicon to put in the baffles. It's not hard at all. Just make sure you round the edges of the new cut glass. I didn't and cut myself pretty good a few times. I'm not a fan of the wet dry and it could very well be your source of nitrates. do a search in the DIY section for sumps. You will also want to save up for your own RO/DI filter, buy this before you buy any other fish or corals.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 12:57 PM   #33
Jberge60
Registered Member

I just saw poly pads at my lfs yesterday and almost grabbed one but instead I just got some chemi-pure. I will probably look into making a simp in the near future and a RO/DI filter is a must after all the water I've hauled this past week. I did about a 50% wc last night and got the nitrates down to 20. The skimmer is in the sump and running now too. I might try adding a fish or 2 tonight if the parameters are still good

Unread 01/05/2017, 01:08 PM   #34
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Just an FYI, my local home depot and Lowe's only sold 1/8" thick glass which is not sufficient for anything aquarium related.

However I was able to find a local glass shop that cut me 5 plates of 1/4" for sump baffles and eased the edges on them for about $50.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 01:42 PM   #35
Jberge60
Registered Member

Thanks for the info mondo. I was also wondering if it matters if there's an order I introduce the fish to the new tank and what time frame. I have 2 damsels, 2 clowns, 3 chromis and a blenny, along with a blood shrimp and blue leg hermit crab. The one blue damsel is about 3" big and cranky, it picks on everyone except the clowns. So idk if there's an order I should do this so no one tries to claim the whole tank as their territory

Unread 01/05/2017, 03:16 PM   #36
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Generally speaking: the more aggressive the fish, the later it should be introduced.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 03:26 PM   #37
Jberge60
Registered Member

That's what I was thinking. Thanks

Unread 01/05/2017, 06:20 PM   #38
ClownFishGuy6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
i would ditch the sand and start with brand new sand. that stuff tends to hang on to a lot of nastiness, and you can help avoid nutrient issues by getting yourself new sand.

i would do all new water too. there's no reason to worry about saving or transferring water. starting out with fresh, clean, saltwater will get those nitrates down in the short term too.

i would also ditch the wet/dry sump in favor of a normal sump layout with protein skimmer. bio balls are generally frowned upon as over time they can trap a lot of organics and lead to nitrate issues, similar to how canister filters can. not that you can't use them, but they require some special maintenance consideration over conventional layouts.

if possible it is always my preference to move the new tank in to place dry, set it up with fresh sand and rocks, and let it run to see if it is going to cycle. then migrating things over gradually as i get more confident that the tank is established enough to handle them.

conversely, you can move everything over at once, but try to minimize the nasty from both tanks that is coming over. e.g. use new water, new sand, blow off rocks before transferring, and be careful with your feed levels. monitor water quality for a few days after the move to ensure you're not seeing any kind of cycle.
You dont have to get rid of the sand. you can just syphone it out into a bucket and clean in with a hose or in the sink.

ClownFishGuy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 05:25 AM   #39
Jberge60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownFishGuy6 View Post
You dont have to get rid of the sand. you can just syphone it out into a bucket and clean in with a hose or in the sink.
Yes I read that I could do that also. I put all new sand in because my 29g is still running housing my fish and the sand that was in the new tank when I bought it was with really dirty. I was trying to limit how much junk I put back into my new system given that I was already using the LR that was in it. I just introduced my 2 clowns and largest chromis last night. All is well so far, I have my fingers crossed

Unread 01/09/2017, 06:51 PM   #40
Jberge60
Registered Member

Do you guys maintain the level in your sump by adding water directly to it? If I slow down my return and let the sump fill up when I open the return again it just drops. I don't understand it

Tags
move tank lr, upgrade