Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2017, 10:10 PM   #1
bmackcw
Registered Member

Are radion G4 pros worth it?

I'm running a 300w maxspect razor over my 90 gallon Red Sea reefer 425. Someone said they'd give me $400 for the light. I'm thinking about it. Got an opinion if the G4s are significantly better? Still looking at at least $1300 to do it.

bmackcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 10:18 PM   #2
ktownhero
Registered Member

This is like asking if you should get a Honda or Acura. They'll both get you to the same place, but how much do the extras matter to you?

I'm sure the Radions are better lights but definitely not $1300 better in terms of purely growing corals.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 10:24 PM   #3
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

G4's are on a different league. Period

Unread 02/17/2017, 11:05 PM   #4
Bpb
Registered Member

Beyond the whole point a to point b argument (which is valid), I think the radions will get a generous nod in overall build quality and longevity/reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 11:28 PM   #5
Rwperkins
Registered Member

My local Reef guy said that you can get just as good results from the Hydras or the Kessil AP700. Wether that is popular opinion or not is unknown to me. I did go with AP700 and I love it.

Rwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 11:43 PM   #6
rodneyri
Registered Member

Saw the Maxspect, Hydra HD, Radion Gen 4, AP700 and some other LED im not sure of today at the LFS...both Hydra and Radion looked amazing. T5 there also

Are they worth it??? thats up to you...but I grabbed coral and put in under each light and to me yep its worth it...I wouldnt own a Maxspect or AP700 but the others for sure.

Not having a LED vs T5 debate but the coral looked the best under the T5 for me, saying that though ive just ordered a bunch of Radion G4 Pro's to replace my Pacsun T5 unit....my new scape is 6ft long so its bigger than my light which was one reason to upgrade lights. And for those that know me I like changing lights

Unread 02/17/2017, 11:54 PM   #7
scuzy
Registered Member

I went with the new Mitras LX7

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 12:00 AM   #8
zsuman101
Registered Member

i have both g3 and g4 radions they are both excellent but are very different. fwiw, ive had kessils they look great but imo they just dont have the punch of the radions, best shimmer of all leds. after running radions ive had good success once i figured them out. now that i got it ,the radions are going, as im going back to my halides with radium bulbs, nothing comes close period.

Unread 02/18/2017, 05:27 AM   #9
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

If you are looking to have healthier or faster growing corals, then IMHO absolutely NO, it's not worth the difference. Light is light is light. A $100 MarsAqua can grow coral just as well, or at least close enough, that the cost difference isn't worth it.

If you want control over how the light in your tank looks (color control, intensity control), maybe the extras on the Radion are worth something, but $1300 extra? Just what are you getting for the money?

Unread 02/18/2017, 11:09 AM   #10
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
I went with the new Mitras LX7

^^This^^

For the price, quality, and functionality, the new Mitras 7200 are killer. After seeing the new Radions, the AP 700, and owning Hydras and Hydra HDs, this is probably the nicest LED fixture I've come across.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, maxspect, radion, razor, upgrade