Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2015, 11:49 PM   #1
nuvuku
Registered Member

Want to add more leds but unsure what to get

Hey all I've got a 90 gallon reef thats sps dominated and the corals are starting to branch out and become real colonies. I have 2 evergrow d120 fixtures and want to add more light without breaking the bank. I'd optimistically like to add a third fixture on top as well as replace my 2 bulb t5 for my fuge with a led unit that can grow frags as well as macro's like cheato and red gracilla. My setup is a 90 gallon corner overflow tank with a 20 long sump, cone skimmer, fuge/frag section and return, uv sterilizer, and calcium reactor. I have a metal halide light I was going to use but it gets too hot for my room and does not seem worth the heat. I saw a current outer orbit led fixture that appeared to be good but feel that they may be lacking in PAR and spectrum for what I want. What do you recommend? Thanks!

nuvuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 06:03 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

If you like the EverGrow D120 fixtures, why not get another, or something similar. Especially if you are on a budget. Also EG makes fixtures for several other companies like ReefBreeders and OceanRevive who are sponsors here on RC. That makes talking to them very easy and they will answer almost any question.

I have EG IT2080's over my 180g tank and an IT2040 over my 75g hexagon FOWLR. They are very well made fixtures (running nonstop for almost 3 years now). I just got a ReefRadiance Lumentek Pro used from a friend. It's almostt new and it's very similar to my EG IT2080. It's over my 65g shallow reef and it's been a good light. I'm having issues with the controller, but they are working with me to get it right.

Unread 08/08/2015, 02:27 PM   #3
nuvuku
Registered Member

Hmm very good! Thank you.

Current Tank Info: Aquaculture system in the works
Unread 09/29/2015, 12:40 PM   #4
nuvuku
Registered Member

So I didn't end up getting more LED's because I'm thinking now I may add 2 T5HO bulbs to supplement. I'd love to add MH because I have a 150 watt Current fixture but it gets so dang hot! I want to get more exotic acropora and SPS and get amazing colors out of them. My parameters are in check so I feel like I got what I paid for lol. Not to say that my tank looks like crap it looks amazing but I see people who have bright SPS who have MH and T5's and wonder what I have to do to get my tank:

To have colors like this:

I do have a bunch of coral in there my phone is horrible, I'm working on getting a DSLR.

Current Tank Info: Aquaculture system in the works

Last edited by nuvuku; 09/29/2015 at 12:53 PM.

Tags
leds, upgrade