Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2008, 04:55 PM   #251
jcpatella
Premium Member

I believe you can find one on ebay - have you ever seen Napoleon Dynamite?

What I don't post are pictures of me watching "The Holiday" or "The Devil Wears Prada" with HER on the nights we're not fooling with the tank. There are some sacrifices I am willing to make!

Current Tank Info: Biocube 8 on the way!
jcpatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 05:32 PM   #252
NanoGurl
Moved On

lol too funny....

I'm going to post a photo of our next Bed Bath and Beyond trip... you must do this too! (wife) lol (:

NanoGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 06:26 PM   #253
fantastic4
Registered Member

jcpatella,

This is the Mrs. (AKA Anti Reef Tank) and my two babies.

My life as a secret reefer...
* My $129.99 Juvi Blueface Angel (approx $30 when I got home)
* My LiterMeter III (Ordered in three seperate parts at 1 month intervals)
* My $5,000 225g SoCalCreations tank estimate... stayed an estimate ;(
* My $80 Petco runs (approx $30 when I get home)

Why does it feel like I'm smuggling narcotics ;O

fantastic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 06:37 PM   #254
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fantastic4
That is hilarious! That's a great picture of The Fabulous 4!!!!!

Unread 01/02/2008, 06:41 PM   #255
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
lol too funny....

I'm going to post a photo of our next Bed Bath and Beyond trip... you must do this too! (wife) lol (:
She said that's a great idea!

But in all reality, it's not; that means I'd have to go.

Unread 01/02/2008, 06:45 PM   #256
ReefGirlSara
Registered Member

lol - you are all cracking me up. I have been following along in this very funny and very helpful thread - good work jc!! I am starting a 90 now, so I LOVE these 90 gallon builds! I am going through the same process of elimination to decide on a tang, but I think I have decided on a naso and a sohal. JK!! Had to get the tang police's blood pumping a little.

But really I'm thinking of a chocolate aka lemonpeel mimic tang. http://animal-world.com/encyclo/mari.../chocolate.php

I think it will be cool to watch him change colors as he becomes an adult. This thread almost had me considering a powder brown, but I don't want to be unoriginal. And I love NG's Ocean, but her thread was also very helpful and I have decided to save the powder blue phase for later in life when I have a very large in-wall tank.

It funny for me to hear all the guys wishing their wives and GF's were more into reefing. It's sort of the other way around in my relationship - my BF is always the one saying, "ok, but this is the last fish tank thing we are buying this month!" I did get lucky though b/c he is very handy. He is building me a new canopy now, and one day we plan to build our very own 'reef house' ( my dream house built entirely around the fish-room and the in-wall tank). He's even excited about that!

ReefGirlSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 07:05 PM   #257
fantastic4
Registered Member

"...It funny for me to hear all the guys wishing their wives and GF's were more into reefing. It's sort of the other way around in my relationship - my BF is always the one saying, "ok, but this is the last fish tank thing we are buying this month!...my dream house built entirely around the fish-room and the in-wall tank..."

ok, where the hell are these girls coming from? let me tell ya, I don't think they exist in California. ok, damn it, I going to get the Mrs. to do a jcpatella action shot although I'll have to bribe her with some insane amount of house work.

fantastic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 07:25 PM   #258
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

Do reef hands count as dishpan hands? If so I think we've found a loophole!

Current Tank Info: Buncha parts and tanks of various size. Nothing currently running :(
Rustylugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 07:27 PM   #259
melev
Moved On

Quote:
I going to get the Mrs. to do a jcpatella action shot...
Do it! I'm living vicariously through all these hottie reefettes.

Quote:
My life as a secret reefer...
* My $129.99 Juvi Blueface Angel (approx $30 when I got home)
* My LiterMeter III (Ordered in three seperate parts at 1 month intervals)
* My $5,000 225g SoCalCreations tank estimate... stayed an estimate ;(
* My $80 Petco runs (approx $30 when I get home)

Learn from the masters: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/tt/index.php

Last edited by melev; 01/02/2008 at 07:34 PM.
melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 07:34 PM   #260
lilchris
Premium Member

My wife is somewhat involved w/my tank. I had to go to Iraq last year and she took care of it. She did a good job. She always tell me when something doesn't look good, or I should something.
I have an Alanticblue tang in my 90 gallon. Alot of people do not talk about them much. I think they are cool and from what I read they are little more hardie than the Powered Tangs.

lilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 07:46 PM   #261
navychief
"Shellback"

Got the spectrometer in today. Checked it with distilled water and it read exactly 0. Measured the SG in the tank and it read exactly 1.021. When I used the floating arm hydrometer, I would get a reading just shy of 1.022. Now the kicker is after I allowed the water to sit in the hydrometer for a couple of hours and assume room temp, it read exactly 1.021. Not really a huge difference, eh? I mean, we're talking a difference of a thousandths.

Don't get me wrong. The spectrometer is a lot faster and easier to do as far as not getting the hand wet or breaching the tank with the unit!

CadLights 70G, Radion XR30W Pro, 2 MP 10, Apexs, .25 HP chiller, 3 TLF reactors w/ Carbon/Bioballs, PM Kalk reactor, 24" Giesemann w/4 Actinic T5s/250W 15000K HQI, PM R30 Fuge, Cone-S Skimmer, RS Salt

Current Tank Info: 1 Paracanthurus; 2 False Percula; 1 Monacanthidae; 1 Blue Chrysiptera cyanea; 1 Lysmata debelius; 1 Eucidaris
navychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 07:48 PM   #262
navychief
"Shellback"

Reef hotties? Boy, where did I come in on the middle of this thread! LOL

BTW. The brown algae is almost completely gone, but now I'm seeing hints of green algae. Here we go again!

CadLights 70G, Radion XR30W Pro, 2 MP 10, Apexs, .25 HP chiller, 3 TLF reactors w/ Carbon/Bioballs, PM Kalk reactor, 24" Giesemann w/4 Actinic T5s/250W 15000K HQI, PM R30 Fuge, Cone-S Skimmer, RS Salt

Current Tank Info: 1 Paracanthurus; 2 False Percula; 1 Monacanthidae; 1 Blue Chrysiptera cyanea; 1 Lysmata debelius; 1 Eucidaris
navychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 07:49 PM   #263
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

Quote:
New Tank? What new tank? That's the one that was buried in the garage from two years ago. I just cleaned it up and brought it in the house.
I'm too bad a liar to pull any master level sneaks off. My only chance is to hope that UPS doesn't show up when she's home.

Current Tank Info: Buncha parts and tanks of various size. Nothing currently running :(
Rustylugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 08:14 PM   #264
JJ4417
Registered Member

Mine wants me to get the 300+g room divider...I think it is because she wants me to replace the floor, build shelving, and put in faux beams in the living room.

I start to explain how much a 300 would cost in real terms of LR, equipment, lights..."No big deal, you can just work more overtime to pay for it."

JJ4417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 08:15 PM   #265
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
She said that's a great idea!

But in all reality, it's not; that means I'd have to go.

mwhahaha *evil laugh*

Unread 01/02/2008, 08:18 PM   #266
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefGirlSara
But really I'm thinking of a chocolate aka lemonpeel mimic tang.

Unread 01/02/2008, 08:23 PM   #267
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by lilchris
I have an Alanticblue tang in my 90 gallon. Alot of people do not talk about them much. I think they are cool and from what I read they are little more hardie than the Powered Tangs.
ABT's are beautiful fish to watch swim in person. They are def worth considering if you have a large enough tank.

Unread 01/02/2008, 08:49 PM   #268
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefGirlSara
It funny for me to hear all the guys wishing their wives and GF's were more into reefing. It's sort of the other way around in my relationship - my BF is always the one saying, "ok, but this is the last fish tank thing we are buying this month!"
Thank you for joining us! In all fairness to the guys, we previously came upon an agreement that all reefettes must post at least one picture of themselves. Let's consider it reef-cred.

Unread 01/02/2008, 08:51 PM   #269
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilchris
My wife is somewhat involved w/my tank. I had to go to Iraq last year and she took care of it. She did a good job. She always tell me when something doesn't look good, or I should something.
That's great that your wife helps and can actually keep stuff alive. Many are nice enough to help, but don't realize how much damage they can do to a system with just one mistake!

Unread 01/02/2008, 08:54 PM   #270
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rustylugnuts
I'm too bad a liar to pull any master level sneaks off. My only chance is to hope that UPS doesn't show up when she's home.
That's one of the very few drawbacks - she knows EXACTLY how much everything costs! She's great about it, but much of our conversation goes like this, "Okay, you want that powder brown? Then we'll re-do the bathroom the following weekend."

Damn.

Unread 01/02/2008, 08:56 PM   #271
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ4417
..."No big deal, you can just work more overtime to pay for it."
That's exactly how I pay for my reef hobby (obsession) - I fix computers on the side, which pays very well. That money never sees our checking account.

See guys, it is true - a hot woman who is married to a guy who reefs and fixes computers!

Unread 01/02/2008, 09:31 PM   #272
Silverfin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
That's exactly how I pay for my reef hobby (obsession) - I fix computers on the side, which pays very well. That money never sees our checking account.

See guys, it is true - a hot woman who is married to a guy who reefs and fixes computers!
Sounds like my family plus two (my sister and i). My Dad's a Network Engineer with a couple of fish tanks which the idea to have a saltwater tank was started by my mom.

Current Tank Info: Family 210gal reef, 30gal frag,
Silverfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 09:42 PM   #273
jcpatella
Premium Member

FEEDING TIME!

I don't have an extravagant feeding schedule, yet. I rotate between pellets, home-made fish food, and nothing. Sometimes I target feed the home-made mix and sometimes I just dump it in. Tonight was one of those "Dump it in" nights.

Frozen chunk of homemade fish food.

Defrosted food with larger chunks removed. The fish won't eat the big chunks, so I have to remove them myself. It's kind of a pain, but oh well!

The always-agreeable wife, decked out in her scrubs (she works for a dentist).

Dumping it all in.

It's crazy how much it looks like when the powerheads blow it all around. The fish go nuts, but I worry that the cleaner shrimp is going to have a heart attack! He flips out like he's never been fed before!

Now that I look at this shot, it reminds me of an early action shot in Nanogurl's thread!

I figured with all the posting lately, I have to post some pics to keep up with the ratio!

Unread 01/02/2008, 09:53 PM   #274
JJ4417
Registered Member

Nah...you can see your wife's face so it doesn't look anything like NG's thread.

Did you create your own mix or use one of the recipes?

Also...in the middle of your bathroom remodel, did you think to alter that canopy a bit so you wouldn't have to open up the whole top piece? Just a brace and a couple of hinges so that front panel can flip for easy feeding? (I' guessing it is only flipped all the way for the pic...just looking for reasons for you to continue to tinker with it.)

Last edited by JJ4417; 01/02/2008 at 10:22 PM.
JJ4417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 10:00 PM   #275
gabe3d
Registered Member

Your thread is very interesting and fun to read. You have a great looking wife and tank. Keep up the good work and the pics coming.

gabe3d is offline   Reply With Quote