Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/30/2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Irenicus
Registered Member

Gill Flukes in Qt

I purchased an Emp Angel a week ago (Sunday) and put him in qt. Around Friday, 5 days later; the angel’s fins looked ragged, the next day’s his eyes got cloudy, with one eye looking like textbook popeye. I did a large water change as I expected ammonia but after some research I suspected flukes. I dose prazipro and the flukes where shedding off. One of the emperor’s eyes are is still popped out, is glazed over with center of the eye a bit clearer.

Have the flukes extolled permanent damage on this eye or will it heal to normal provided I keep great water quality?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 04:23 PM   #2
aleonn
Registered Member

I had a similar experience a while back with flukes and a butterfly in QT. Both eyes were "puffy" and cloudy until a week after its Prazi-Pro treatment. One eye healed to be completely normal, while the other eye had a central scar. The butterfly died 2 weeks later, however, so I didn't get a chance to see if that eye would have completely healed. At the time, I didn't know that I should have treated at least several rounds of Prazi-Pro treatment (due to the medication not killing fluke eggs). I now know that many folks on RC had to do 4 consecutive treatments to eradicate flukes in their fish.

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Irenicus
Registered Member

Bump. I'm worried about one eye... Its still bulged some but tissue looks almost cratered and rough. Does this mean it's heading in the right direction? The fish is eating well and the influence of the flukes seems to have passed.

Unread 05/02/2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Dr Colliebreath
Registered Member

Given that the fish is eating well, I would go through three rounds of PraziPro, and then treat with antibiotics. Are the angel's fins still ragged?

Current Tank Info: 110 Oceanic RR w/35 gal sump and SRO XP2000 int
Dr Colliebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Irenicus
Registered Member

The angel's fins are starting to heal. The fish is incredibly active with a voracious appetite. I will hit the angel w/ 3 more rounds of Prazi and will keep everyone updated.

Thanks a ton!

Unread 05/03/2012, 01:53 PM   #6
aleonn
Registered Member

Glad he's active and eating well!

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flukes, popeye