Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2007, 05:38 PM   #51
muelpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 20
Hehe, you had me worried!
You and I both 20 20. It must have been one of those days.

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Too many paint fumes. Don't worry, it'll come back
Paint fumes? What paint fumes...did I paint something? NG you really keep this thread fun!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bucky145
tank set up looks good cant wait to see pics of it finished
Thank you very much bucky145, my wife keeps telling me to fill it up already. I really hope to have it full and mixed with salt by this Sunday at the latest.

muelpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2007, 05:45 PM   #52
muelpaul
Registered Member

I am hopefully going to finish the basic plumbing tonight, heres proof.

I like to think I am deep in thought as to what needs to be done next with the plumbing, my loving wife thinks I am reverting back to my childhood and playing with Lego's.

Now I must go and finish my tower....er plumbing....

Unread 05/22/2007, 08:12 PM   #53
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
Paint fumes? What paint fumes...did I paint something? NG you really keep this thread fun!!
I don't think so? Hey, when did you start a thread??? I didn't even know you liked saltwater fish? Wait, where am I???

lol.. that's a great photo! I agree with your wife!

NanoGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2007, 08:21 PM   #54
muelpaul
Registered Member

You only agree with her because your a (Nano)Gurl
I just spent about 2 hours getting the drain lines, skimmer lines and return lines plumbed and she says...it doesn't even look like you did anything She won't be talking so smart when the waters in and with no leaks....(I hope)

Unread 05/22/2007, 08:42 PM   #55
NanoGurl
Moved On

Aww.. When are you going to test it?

Unread 05/24/2007, 07:03 PM   #56
muelpaul
Registered Member

Hey NanoGurl, Sorry I missed your question, I needed a night off but here is your answer

I am in the process of testing, I have put about 10 gallons in the return section of my sump and placed the return of my skimmer also in the sump return...Follow me?

Well here is a picture of what I did.

And a pic of my plumbing, well the skimmer and return.

I am getting very impatient and want to start filling this thing up now, but I am going to wait one more day for the RO filters to show up. If they don't... I will start filling it tomorrow night.

Unread 05/24/2007, 08:20 PM   #57
NanoGurl
Moved On

Ahh.. ok I think I got it now. Hopefully the filters show up tomorrow!

Unread 05/24/2007, 09:09 PM   #58
muelpaul
Registered Member

I knew you would get it NG, I was having trouble getting it

I had a hard time explaining my test, but everything went very well, that is except the Gen-x Mak4. It is causing a bit of vibration through the sump, I am hoping it goes away once the sump is filled up.

The wait is truly killing me...(a bit to much drama?) I have a 100 gpd ro/di unit, so it will take 2+ days to fill it and the sump.

The new corals are doing well, the leather coral really extends and the blue tip acros are getting their color back, hopefully the big move won't be to stressful for them.

Here is a list of current livestock to be moved,
2 ocellaris clowns
1 Three stripe Damsel
1 lawnmower blennie...awesome personality
1 Royal Gramma
2 yellow tail damsels
1 three spot Domino...very naughty!

various snails, crabs.
3 peppermint shrimp
1 blue tuxedo Urchin... Haven't seen him in 2 days though
1 Emerald mythrax crab

Once everything is moved into the 180, I will be getting a blue Tang and a Blonde Naso Tang.

Hopefully everything will get along and do well.

Unread 05/24/2007, 09:35 PM   #59
NanoGurl
Moved On

Well hopefully with all of the rock work and sand and stuff it will help take up some of the volume to make the water a bit quicker. I know what you mean though, it was hard for me too and mine was only a 75.

What kind of blue tang? Hippo? The Blonde Naso are beautiful fish, def jealous of that! You will have to take lots of photos of it for us!

Are you going to totally tear down your 46 and transfer over everything?

Unread 05/25/2007, 07:50 PM   #60
muelpaul
Registered Member

You are such a sweatheart NG.
Yes a blue hippo (Dori), and you don't have to be jealous of anything I have, your tank and all it's inhabitants is just awesome.
Yes I have to tear down the 46, it was a stipulation upon getting the 180. Also I am tearing down my sons 20 fowlr tank, he has a job and doesn't have time for it anymore.

NG, I remember you changing the filters in your RO unit and they were quite dirty. When I connected my TDS meter I could not believe what I was getting, 525 in and 125 out. Gee...I wonder why I have so much hair algea
My filters were disgusting! So after changing all the filters and DI material I checked again, a big fat 0 out

I am now happily filling my tank with PURE water.

Now in about 2 days I should be just about full

Unread 05/25/2007, 07:59 PM   #61
muelpaul
Registered Member

IMO:Just a note to everyone who is thinking about or has a RO unit, spend the 30 or so dollars extra for a TDS meter if you haven't already done so. I would have known to change the filters before they reached their disgusting state if I had.

Unread 05/25/2007, 08:38 PM   #62
NanoGurl
Moved On

WOW! 125! It's a good thing you waited! WOOOHOOOO WATER TIME!!!! I bet you're really excited now!

Things should really start moving fast now!

I agree about the TDS. I think that and a refractometer are very important tools to have in this hobby. Neither are that expensive and almost a most I think.

Excited for you and can't wait to see more photos of it up and running with water!

Unread 05/25/2007, 09:01 PM   #63
muelpaul
Registered Member

Thank you NG, and I thank you for your confidence in me
I have been checking on the progress, there is about 8-10 gallons already...and your right, I am very glad I waited, can you believe 125.
I am very impressed with your thread by the way, 36 pages? I will be happy if mine goes to 15

Unread 05/25/2007, 09:12 PM   #64
NanoGurl
Moved On

125 is pretty bad! hehe

Is your family excited about the progress now?

Thanks My thread is on idle for awhile lol. 15 pages is easy.. just keep typing like I do hehehe

Unread 05/25/2007, 09:39 PM   #65
20 20
Premium Member

Holy crap, muelpaul, I just noticed you're from Wrightstown! I grew up in De Pere. Left there about 26 years ago. Small world, eh? Anyway, that look on your face sitting in front of the plumbing? Been there, done that. Somehow I ended up with more pvc parts than I actually used. Maybe becuase I made, oh, about 3 million trips to Home Depot... And another 1 million to Lowes...

20 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2007, 10:01 PM   #66
muelpaul
Registered Member

De Pere, small world indeed 20 20. I spent way to much money and time going to home depot, Menard's, lowes and the local hardware stores;looking for the perfect fittings only to find I bought the wrong one And of course you don't return any, you just might need it later.

Unread 05/25/2007, 10:10 PM   #67
2farNorth
Moved On

Hey Muelpaul.. Just curious, are you purchasing your Liverock & Livestock locally? I'm down that area quite a bit... and was just curious if there is any other LFS's that I missed!!!

Looks like a start to a nice setup!! I'm also in the process of upgrading..... from a 90 to a 120.....

I've also been looking into a custom size tank down the road (the wife don't know about that one yet!!) These large tanks I'm getting hooked on!!!

You'll see that when you start to aquascape,, you can really have fun with it... that 24" wide really makes the difference!!

I'm looking forward to this thread!!

2farNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2007, 10:14 PM   #68
muelpaul
Registered Member

NG, Yes they are...my daughter really wants a Dori. I want to start getting the rock placed ASAP.

I am sorry to hear your taking a break, but I understand why. I will still be checking in, I learned quite a bit from your thread

Unread 05/25/2007, 10:27 PM   #69
muelpaul
Registered Member

Hey thanks 2FarNorth, most of the live rock I have was purchased from Drs. Foster and Smith (Liveaquaria).
Good luck on your 120, I know what you mean about big tanks!

About lfs's in my area, let me get back to you on that.

Unread 05/25/2007, 11:54 PM   #70
muelpaul
Registered Member

Hey 2FarNorth, for lfs's check this thread,
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Hope that helps.

Unread 05/26/2007, 01:34 AM   #71
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
NG, Yes they are...my daughter really wants a Dori. I want to start getting the rock placed ASAP.

I am sorry to hear your taking a break, but I understand why. I will still be checking in, I learned quite a bit from your thread
Can't wait to see the rock work Going to be tough on a 180!

Thanks We'll see what happens.

Unread 05/26/2007, 07:07 AM   #72
musky1963
Registered Member

Progress is coming along nicely . I have a 75g now, but I have a friend who is getting out of saltwater. He has a beautiful 180g.....but I am a little intimidated with a massive tank like that. Plenty of live rock, VHO's, pumps, sump....the whole nine yards for a killer price . Thats alot of weight on my wooden floors!

musky1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2007, 05:43 PM   #73
muelpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Can't wait to see the rock work Going to be tough on a 180!

Thanks We'll see what happens.
It's not going to be tough at all...I will just post pictures of rock placement for you to critique and sooner or later I will find the right combination

I would like to ask you about your RO filter....how long did it take to fill up your 75?

It's been almost 24 hours and I have about 1/4 of the tank full, seems to be going slower than the 100gpd ro/di I thought would be able to do.

Unread 05/26/2007, 06:02 PM   #74
muelpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by musky1963
Progress is coming along nicely . I have a 75g now, but I have a friend who is getting out of saltwater. He has a beautiful 180g.....but I am a little intimidated with a massive tank like that. Plenty of live rock, VHO's, pumps, sump....the whole nine yards for a killer price . Thats alot of weight on my wooden floors!
Thanks musky1963, for a good price it would be very hard for me to pass up. If you are dedicated enough for the long hall, that would be the way to go IMO.

The floor though is definitely an issue, I have guessed the weight of my 180 tank to be at about 350lbs. Add the weight of water 180 + 40 (sump) x 8 (weight of water) 1760lbs = 2100. Add 180lbs of live rock and 100 lbs of live sand and I have an estimated total weight of 2390lbs. Not including the stand, of which I have guessed to be at 125lbs.

I originally wanted this tank upstairs, with that kind of weight the floor would have had to be reinforced, so to the basement it went.

Unread 05/26/2007, 06:54 PM   #75
musky1963
Registered Member

I will definately have to really think hard on getting it. I do want to move eventually and it might be best to sit this one out and be happy with my lil' 75 for now. Remember, all of that rock displaces water, so maybe it actually knocks the weight down some.

musky1963 is offline   Reply With Quote