Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2021, 09:13 AM   #551
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's so nice how your tank hums along! Mine seems to need more of my input than I'd like, which is almost nothing, this time of year.

The new job sounds great! I'm sure you'l be out of the overwhelmed phase in no time. Have fun with it!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2021, 10:50 AM   #552
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Dawn, I was thinking about your shoal grass situation. I've tried these in the past in my river tank and my grasses died out this spring in my tank, so I didn't think to suggest them then. But, I've since collected more river grasses and after re-planting my river tank, I put a bunch of the Jobes Fertilizer Spikes into my gravel, and my plant growth took off this time. I posted a video on my thread. Maybe these would work for you? What do you think Michael?

All I did is cut them into thirds, then shoved them into the gravel under the roots of the plants. I have a pretty high bioload too, so plenty of nitrates for them LOL.

I also used the Miracle Grow ones and they seemed to work just fine too, although they tend to dissolve a little faster, so you need to get them into the gravel faster.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump

Last edited by Chasmodes; 10/20/2021 at 10:55 AM.
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2021, 01:04 PM   #553
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've tried those. It's really hard to tell with seagrass whether it helped or not. With their slow growth, I was never sure when to expect results. When my tank was a freshwater planted tank I had good results with them.

Since Dawn already has dirt in her substrate they might be overkill, but you never know.

Unread 10/20/2021, 09:10 PM   #554
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Yeah, that's like me figuring out how to put air in my tires, but that doesn't make me an auto mechanic!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 10/23/2021, 02:09 PM   #555
vlangel
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate any tips. The seagrass just keeps diminishing although there are some green sprigs in the sump.

At least the fish are doing great and most of the coral. The red macros are looking amazing but some green sure would add to the tank. Maybe I will let a small patch of caulerpa grow but then I worry that the caulerpa will suck up all the nutrients.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2021, 10:34 AM   #556
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well that's kind of a bummer. It seems like they should be taking off by now. I wonder what's holding them back. I know they like very bright light, more so than macros. Hmm.

Unread 10/30/2021, 01:50 PM   #557
vlangel
Registered Member

Yeah, I am perplexed as to why they are not doing well either. Maybe it is the lighting but the bulbs in the fuge are grow bulbs so I thought that would work. Usually under T5HO I could keep anything I wanted but maybe not seagrass. Anyway I am about ready to accept defeat on this one. I am still pleased that the overall tank system is doing well.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 10/31/2021, 10:11 AM   #558
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It happens. I have tried some plants twice, even three times, without success. That's when it dawns on me, I just can't keep this plant in my setup, as it is. So I let it go and accept defeat. Lot's of other plants in the sea!

Unread 10/31/2021, 01:29 PM   #559
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It happens. I have tried some plants twice, even three times, without success. That's when it dawns on me, I just can't keep this plant in my setup, as it is. So I let it go and accept defeat. Lot's of other plants in the sea!
Yes it does happen. Every system has different trace minerals and metals, so there are variables that we really do not measure or consider significant. Without my knowledge perhaps there is something lacking that they need or there is something detrimental to them. Who knows? Not me, that is for sure.

There are still some seagrasses in the the corner of the fuge that are green and maybe they will begin to grow and thrive and give the seagrass the foothold they need to get started in my tank. I will just have to wait and see how it goes.

Unread 10/31/2021, 02:05 PM   #560
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My guess is that your dirty sand bed should provide most of the nutrients they need, except maybe Carbon, which is their most-needed nutrient. Adding CO2 and brighter lighting might remedy the problem, but those are pretty big upgrades. Seagrass was never your priority, so I doubt it would be worth it.

Fish are your priority (right?), and you have an amazing community that few could pull off. I agree that getting more macro growth would be good, to help out with bio-filtration.

How do you like working at the fish store? I bet it's pretty cool!

Unread 10/31/2021, 06:19 PM   #561
vlangel
Registered Member

Yes, I believe that I probably have plenty of nutrients. My sponges are doing well and I think they need nutrients. My red titan is growing great as well.

You are right about the CO2 however. That is a big upgrade and it scares me a little as it can wipe out the fish if not done right and fish are my first love.

Unread 11/02/2021, 06:41 AM   #562
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Your tank is amazing Dawn. Do macros still grow well in your fuge? If so, maybe they're outcompeting the grasses? I dunno. I couldn't get any plants to grow in my brackish tank, and in my FW tank, it took me a year. Last year, I was a plant killer, and this year, they're growing like mad and I didn't do anything but plant them LOL. I guess I did add more plant sticks than I did last year, that's the only difference.

A buddy of mine gave me a CO2 system, but I have yet to use it. For me, it's the fear of the unknown, because I have no idea how I'd do it.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/02/2021, 09:01 AM   #563
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I was thinking. With all the fish you have, you probably have enough CO2 already. So maybe the only thing holding back the grasses is light. Besides getting a new light (employee discount?), you could try lengthening the photo period in the fuge to see if that helps. Otherwise, just let the grasses go and focus on the great stuff you already have.

Unread 11/03/2021, 04:28 PM   #564
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Your tank is amazing Dawn. Do macros still grow well in your fuge? If so, maybe they're outcompeting the grasses? I dunno. I couldn't get any plants to grow in my brackish tank, and in my FW tank, it took me a year. Last year, I was a plant killer, and this year, they're growing like mad and I didn't do anything but plant them LOL. I guess I did add more plant sticks than I did last year, that's the only difference.

A buddy of mine gave me a CO2 system, but I have yet to use it. For me, it's the fear of the unknown, because I have no idea how I'd do it.
Fear of the unknown also is intimidating to me too Kevin. I took a good look at the grasses this morning when I went down to do a water change and feed the fish. Actually the grasses that I still have look decent. Also there are areas where there is brown bushy places where perhaps grass roots are growing under the sand??? I can hope anyway.

I am having luck with codium and red titan in the fuge. Of course caulerpa will grow great guns but I keep it pruned back as far as possible.

Last edited by vlangel; 11/03/2021 at 04:35 PM.
Unread 11/03/2021, 04:33 PM   #565
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I was thinking. With all the fish you have, you probably have enough CO2 already. So maybe the only thing holding back the grasses is light. Besides getting a new light (employee discount?), you could try lengthening the photo period in the fuge to see if that helps. Otherwise, just let the grasses go and focus on the great stuff you already have.
So having fish creates a carbon source? I did not know that. Maybe I just need to lower my light fixture so that it is closer to the water. I can not imagine that a 4 bulb high output T5 fixture does not have the ability to grow seagrass. Perhaps my color is not right for the seagrass. I could lengthen the photophase easily too. I should not give up just yet.

Unread 11/03/2021, 04:50 PM   #566
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Fish produce CO2 (plants' favorite form of Carbon) through respiration, just like we do. So, all those fish you have are mini CO2 reactors!

Yes, definitely lower the fixture if possible. Couldn't hurt. I would think T5s would work too, since people regularly grow corals with them. 5000-6000 Kelvin is recommended for seagrass. Lengthening the photo period, lowering the fixture, and maybe changing bulbs could make the difference.

It seems like they are so close to making it, a few adjustments might just do the trick!

Unread 11/04/2021, 04:23 PM   #567
vlangel
Registered Member

Doh, I guess I should have realized that. We breath out carbon dioxide, I should have known that fish do as well. It is so obvious and yet I missed it, hence the 'doh', ha ha!

It is easy for me to move the lights down the way we hung them. I had them at the chosen height because salt spray did not coat the lens cover at that height. I will need to clean the cover weekly if I move it down, which is not a deal breaker since I still do weekly water changes. I will think about changing the bulbs and lengthening the photo phase too since those are easy changes. Who knows unless we give it a shot?

Unread 11/04/2021, 08:04 PM   #568
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

We're all still learning. That's one of my fascinations, how fish and plants balance each other.

Making those adjustments could help. It's worth a try for sure!

Unread 11/10/2021, 12:50 PM   #569
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post

Kevin,
It’s been a while. When you said CO2 system, do you mean calcium reactor?

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2021, 03:39 PM   #570
vlangel
Registered Member

I have been busy so still have not moved the light fixture closer to the water, or lengthened the photo phase. I need to do at least one of those to start with but the fuge looks like the remaining seagrass is holding its own. I wondered since Michael shared that fish give off CO2 as respiration, if adding more fish to the fuge could help? Currently there is the donated Percula clown, Guardian the YCG and Molly McGuire the converted to saltwater molly. The drain from the living room display into the fuge makes a fair amount of turbulence and surface agitation. The Aquaclear filter also creates surface agitation. Is it possible that the CO2 in the system is being off gassed before the seagrasses can utilize it? Then I wonder if more fish in the fuge would help increase the CO2? What do you guys think?

Unread 11/14/2021, 03:57 PM   #571
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That agitation would definitely off gas CO2. It's a great excuse to add a fish or two! You also might try mitigating some of the agitation to preserve the CO2 you have, if possible. For fish, you might try adding another Molly or two, to get 1 male to 2-3 females. Soon, you'll have a small school of babies! They are little eating machines, and will keep your fuge neat and tidy. Male Mollies have a modified anal fin (kind of a tube), plus they have a sailfin dorsal fin.

It's a thought. Have you got anything in mind?

Unread 11/15/2021, 02:54 PM   #572
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
That agitation would definitely off gas CO2. It's a great excuse to add a fish or two! You also might try mitigating some of the agitation to preserve the CO2 you have, if possible. For fish, you might try adding another Molly or two, to get 1 male to 2-3 females. Soon, you'll have a small school of babies! They are little eating machines, and will keep your fuge neat and tidy. Male Mollies have a modified anal fin (kind of a tube), plus they have a sailfin dorsal fin.

It's a thought. Have you got anything in mind?
I definitely would love for mollies to spawn in my fuge but I did not have a lot of luck keeping mollies. I even bought some already converted to salt but probably not at reef tank salinities. Molly McGuire was my only long term success, so I am hesitant to condemn anymore mollies to a fateful end.

I was thinking perhaps a firefish goby or two. I have always had good luck with them and I like them a lot. Also I thought of a citrin goby. They do tend to irritate coral but that is not an issue in the fuge.

Unread 12/23/2021, 06:37 PM   #573
vlangel
Registered Member

Oh my, I have been MIA so long that my thread disappeared and I had trouble finding it, ha ha!

I found that my life is too busy to work. Yesterday was my last day. I loved the job and the people but I couldn't juggle an elderly aunt's needs with the part time job. It turns out that older folks don't schedule when they are going to fall. Actually in spite of my cynical sounding humor, I love being able to be there for this wonderful aunt, so it's all good.

In fact, it will probably be better for my tank. I have been keeping up with water changes (mostly) but haven't really done anything else. I look forward to being able to tinker in the tank more. The fish are doing pretty well but recently my green citrin goby disappeared along with my firefish goby. I am suspecting that Rice Krispies may have something to do with at least one of their disappearances. The firefish has been looking a bit rough so was not surprised about it but the green goby seemed active, vibrant and very much alive. Unfortunately Rice Krispies has undermined all my rockwork, and poor Piper probably got swept into a cavern never to be seen again. Rice Krispies is the last snapping shrimp I will ever add to the display. I would love to bring Guardian up from the fuge but am afraid, even though he has grown a lot. The only real small fish I have left is the last barnacle blenny, Barney. Luckily he resides in a coworker tube half way up the aquarium.

Unread 12/23/2021, 11:07 PM   #574
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good to have you back! I look forward to hear of your next tinkering. I still have one Barnacle Blenny too!

Unread 12/25/2021, 06:50 PM   #575
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to have you back! I look forward to hear of your next tinkering. I still have one Barnacle Blenny too!
Thanks Michael. I am not sure what direction my tinkering shall take me yet but I will figure it out. We shall see what 2022 brings.