Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2009, 06:47 PM   #1
sparx22631
Registered Member

CoralVue Lumen Bright Large-Reflector?

OK so im in the middle of getting my 220 setup and im up to the lighting part. i was thinking of running 3x CoralVue Lumen Bright Large-Reflector in a custom canopy. The question i have is would i still need to run t5s? or can i get certain mh bulbs that can do the trick? im doing 3x 250 mh for the tank.

sparx22631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 07:22 PM   #2
sparx22631
Registered Member

bump please help someone thanks.

Unread 11/22/2009, 07:58 PM   #3
jwilliams860
Registered Member

I had a 120 4 x 2 x 2 and I only ran 2 of the smaller Lumenbrite Fixtures in it, no other supplemental lighting, I ran Reeflux 12k's and the tank was always in great shape.I think it has more to do with the width of your tank, if its a standard 220, I think its only 24" front to back, the large Lumen Brites are 20" wide, which wont leave you much room for t5s or VHO's, and remember they need to be really high off the water, around 16" or higher, so that may play into your design.My Canopy on my 120 was like 22" tall to accomadate them.
Right now I have a 300 8ft tank, I have 4 lumenbrites, 2 large and the 2 smaller ones off my 120, the large are a better fit because the tank is 30" front to back, I also have VHO's as supplemental lighting, here are some pics.

120 - unfinished canopy at the time

300 - 2 large in the middle, and 1 smaller 16x16 on each end

jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 08:35 PM   #4
sparx22631
Registered Member

So I could just get away with using 3x of these at 250 mh a piece AND be ok? Is there a certain type of mh bulb that will give mr the bright light I need along with a blueish tint? So atinic t5s don't need to be used? So why do people both use mh and t5s? The mh will keep the coral happy correct? Not the atinics

Unread 11/22/2009, 08:52 PM   #5
skanderson
Registered Member

i replied to your other thread but had another thought about it. one way to tell what type of bulb to use is to look at tanks with different bulbs and see what you like the look of. you can do this to some degree online looking at the tank of the months for example but it always seems a bit different in person. if you really hate the bulbs you get you can change to a different color temp and or brand when you replace them. as a rule of thumb if you like a blue tank look at 20k bulbs, white 10k and the others will fall somewhere in between but remember that different companies bulbs of the same temp rating rarely match.

skanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 08:57 PM   #6
jwilliams860
Registered Member

I had 12k on my 120 that you see in the pic, phoenix 14k have a really nice blue tint to them

jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2009, 05:49 AM   #7
sparx22631
Registered Member

ok so i can get away with using retro fit t5s? and just run 3x pendants? ? i just need to find a mh bulb that will give me a nice pop to bring out the colors of the fixture? but you only run mh most 7 hours correct? what do i have on in the mean time? moon lighting?

Unread 11/23/2009, 08:47 AM   #8
sparx22631
Registered Member

With out using t5s

Unread 11/23/2009, 11:22 AM   #9
Kshack
Registered Member

I run my Radium 20K bulbs for 9+ hpd. No actinic sup. I have 250-400-250. My tank is 70"X 36". Same pendants as yours. If you want some acans and chalice you will need some lower light areas.

Kshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2009, 12:13 PM   #10
aoc230
Aoc230

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparx22631 View Post
So I could just get away with using 3x of these at 250 mh a piece AND be ok? Is there a certain type of mh bulb that will give mr the bright light I need along with a blueish tint? So atinic t5s don't need to be used? So why do people both use mh and t5s? The mh will keep the coral happy correct? Not the atinics
i found the reeflux 12k gives a pretty good look. i di what you are going to do now i want more actinic.. the higher the kelvin usually the less growth you get(depending on bulbs as they are all different ex the reeflux 12k is bluer then some 15ks ive tried). Just as a general rule of thumb

Just remenber that if you choose to use the reflectors your talking about, even if you wanted to add vho/ho later the reflectors may be too wide(unless you have a tank wider then 2 feet) or you set it up differently.

i persoanlly would run the additional actinics instead of trying to get it from your MH's(now that ive gone all MH i wish i had additional options) i want my powerfull lights to grow not add a pretty blue color(leave that to the lower wattage bulbs/t5's). just my two cents

just my personal opinion. One thing i've done and recommend to others is this, it's always better to get the best then you'll never be unsatisfied wit6h your purchase. Most would buy a tank and get normal florescent bulbs/ballasts as they will never expect to get corals. Then decide they like mushrooms and upgrade to VHO without thinking they may eventually want SPS/clams and have to upgrade to MH's. So go big or go home lol not wattage wise but unit wise.

good luck

aoc230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2009, 12:15 PM   #11
aoc230
Aoc230

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoc230 View Post
i found the reeflux 12k gives a pretty good look. i di what you are going to do now i want more actinic.. the higher the kelvin usually the less growth you get(depending on bulbs as they are all different ex the reeflux 12k is bluer then some 15ks ive tried). Just as a general rule of thumb

Just remenber that if you choose to use the reflectors your talking about, even if you wanted to add vho/ho later the reflectors may be too wide(unless you have a tank wider then 2 feet) or you set it up differently.

i persoanlly would run the additional actinics instead of trying to get it from your MH's(now that ive gone all MH i wish i had additional options) i want my powerfull lights to grow not add a pretty blue color(leave that to the lower wattage bulbs/t5's). just my two cents

just my personal opinion. One thing i've done and recommend to others is this, it's always better to get the best then you'll never be unsatisfied wit6h your purchase. Most would buy a tank and get normal florescent bulbs/ballasts as they will never expect to get corals. Then decide they like mushrooms and upgrade to VHO without thinking they may eventually want SPS/clams and have to upgrade to MH's. So go big or go home lol not wattage wise but unit wise.

good luck

oh yeah, the t5's/VHO's also give you that consistant lighting all down the tank as well. with strictly Mh's you get some dark areas

aoc230 is offline   Reply With Quote