Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2009, 11:06 PM   #1351
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonewald View Post
Not new to RC, but returning after a bit of a hiatus from the internet side of the hobby. Looking forward to learning from all the great people here again!
we are also looking forward to learning from you

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 11:08 PM   #1352
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswllms View Post
Hi all!
My name is Josh, I'm from the booming metropolis of Spartanburg, SC.
I recently got talked into having a FOWLR tank by a friend, and can't seem to focus on anything else. This is my first anything having to do with fish since my goldfish when I was 10.

Current tank is just a small 37g. Eclipse with all the stock equipment. Only thing in the tank now is coral rubble substrate, 20lbs live rock, and 20lbs base rock. I don't plan on doing anything big, some damsels and a false percula. Maybe some random gobies at some point down the road.

My big question is how big of a CuC should I have for this setup?
Any help would be huge! Thanks guys. (apologies for any spelling/grammatical errors, I'm posting this from my phone while I'm at work)

As a suggestion:
5 turbo snails
5 hermit crabs
2 cleaner shrimp
1 brown brittle star
1 sand sifter star

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 11/30/2009, 11:09 PM   #1353
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah-zoh View Post
hello all! My name is John. I am a beginner in the salt life (less than 1 year). i have had freshwater for last 5 years. i started with a 55 gallon fowlr. i have a 150 gal almost ready to fill with water and start cycle. this will become my only tank. i will run a wet dry sump filter (tide pool 2) w/ additional sump connected to house macro and mangroves. i have a sea clone 150 (i know its not very good) but it's has mods that make it work better. 2x 400w MH. the return pump i have is 500 gph i think, and the overflow i have no idea what the gph is. i look forward to learning by reading and not mistakes. thank you everyone in advanced. oh yeah and the new tank i want to be a reef tank.
sounds like a good system. Suggest you start your own build thread and post pictures of your progess

To Reef Central

Unread 12/01/2009, 03:05 AM   #1354
Reuben
Registered Member

Hi everyone

Im brand spanking new to the marine aquarium. Been doing some research and im hoping to make a start after the new year. Iv just joined and hoping to sit and read some threads on the forum and hopefully pick up some useful info.

No doubt il be asking questions, if thats ok?

Thanks Maria

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 08:58 PM   #1355
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Hi everyone

Im brand spanking new to the marine aquarium. Been doing some research and im hoping to make a start after the new year. Iv just joined and hoping to sit and read some threads on the forum and hopefully pick up some useful info.

No doubt il be asking questions, if thats ok?

Thanks Maria
Asking questions is not only okay but it is a requirement on here

To Reef Central

Unread 12/01/2009, 11:34 PM   #1356
WWCC
Moved On

Hey all, My name is Matt and I want a tank so bad. I own no tanks but I know a TON about aquariums and animals. I love Saltwaterfish!!!! Especially butterflyfish! Got a question about reefs? ask me! (although i don't know a ton about equipment)

WWCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 11:50 PM   #1357
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWCC View Post
Hey all, My name is Matt and I want a tank so bad. I own no tanks but I know a TON about aquariums and animals. I love Saltwaterfish!!!! Especially butterflyfish! Got a question about reefs? ask me! (although i don't know a ton about equipment)
Perhaps you could help out on this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...445390&page=37

To Reef Central

Unread 12/02/2009, 11:44 AM   #1358
jcono
Registered Member

Hi Guys-
I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here so far. I have a 46 bowfront now but I'm building a 90G that I will soon switch to, so I will be asking a lot of questions!!

jcono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 11:52 AM   #1359
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcono View Post
Hi Guys-
I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here so far. I have a 46 bowfront now but I'm building a 90G that I will soon switch to, so I will be asking a lot of questions!!

suggest you start your own build thread for the 90 gal so you can keep all your information in one place that people will notice more readily then in long threads like this one

To Reef Central

Unread 12/02/2009, 01:51 PM   #1360
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWCC View Post
Got a question about reefs? ask me!
oh, ok, welcome to the new to the hobby, hope you join in and help the newcommers,we need experienced reefers here, welcome again

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 02:03 PM   #1361
duncaholic
Registered Member

Long time listener 1st time caller LOL Just finally registered today. I love this hobby!! Got some cool pics in my album already and look forward to sharing and learning. Helloooooo to all!!!!

Unread 12/02/2009, 02:08 PM   #1362
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncaholic View Post
Long time listener 1st time caller LOL Just finally registered today. I love this hobby!! Got some cool pics in my album already and look forward to sharing and learning. Helloooooo to all!!!!
ive just had a look at your profile and pictures, beautiful for sure, congrats, how does the maroon and perc get on together?

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 05:14 PM   #1363
majikmike9999
Registered Member

Hi, my name is michael i live in Houston Texas, I have been into tanks for maybe a year and a half, I started with a 29 BC but recently upgraded to a 330 Gallon tank which i am setting up as a reef, all i can say is expensive... anyway thanks for reading and i look forward to learning and sharing my experiences.

majikmike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 09:59 PM   #1364
1 sick reef
Registered Member

my name is jerry im about 4 months in to the hobby got a really good deal on a thank so i dove in its a 175g with two coner over flows a 40 gal sump and now im just trying to build it up lots of questions to ask

1 sick reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 10:38 PM   #1365
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikmike9999 View Post
Hi, my name is michael i live in Houston Texas, I have been into tanks for maybe a year and a half, I started with a 29 BC but recently upgraded to a 330 Gallon tank which i am setting up as a reef, all i can say is expensive... anyway thanks for reading and i look forward to learning and sharing my experiences.

wow that's quite an upgrade. would love to see pictures of it

To Reef Central

Unread 12/02/2009, 10:43 PM   #1366
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 sick reef View Post
my name is jerry im about 4 months in to the hobby got a really good deal on a thank so i dove in its a 175g with two coner over flows a 40 gal sump and now im just trying to build it up lots of questions to ask
sound like a great tank--nice size

To Reef Central

Unread 12/03/2009, 03:59 AM   #1367
Reuben
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
Asking questions is not only okay but it is a requirement on here

To Reef Central
Thanks.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2009, 04:43 AM   #1368
majikmike9999
Registered Member

new 330 upgrade

here are a few pics of my new 330

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02215.jpg (52.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02223.jpg (57.2 KB, 17 views)
Unread 12/03/2009, 08:54 PM   #1369
Arthurjc
Registered Member

New

Hey every one, new to the site. Have been in the hobby for about a year.
I have a 46 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump.

Arthurjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2009, 11:09 PM   #1370
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikmike9999 View Post
here are a few pics of my new 330
great job on the reef

Unread 12/03/2009, 11:10 PM   #1371
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurjc View Post
Hey every one, new to the site. Have been in the hobby for about a year.
I have a 46 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump.

To Reef Central

do you have and pics to share with us

Unread 12/04/2009, 12:18 PM   #1372
capricess_99
Registered Member

Whats up all, Names Chris I'm new to hobby with a 38 gal...Lots of questions and lots to soak up so Thank you in advance...

capricess_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2009, 02:58 PM   #1373
majikmike9999
Registered Member

Thanks I have a long way and a lot of $$$$ to go

Unread 12/05/2009, 04:05 AM   #1374
-Pixie-
Registered Member

First ever marine aquarium - Advice, please? :)

Hi everyone,

My partner and i have decided to give a reef aqaurium a shot - We're on a budget (well, we're pretending we have one atleast) so have been buying everything slowly and taking our time to read up on it all.

We have a 4ft tank 200L which we started to cycle 2 days ago

40L refugium sump using miracle mud with caulerpa, bio balls & a sock filter - this was a DIY effort copying the miracle mud ecosystem sump (using the real miracle mud but in our own version).. It looks sort of dodgy but is working great and saved us $500! lol We're using a compact fluro for the sump.

Eheim 3000 LPH pump cycling from sump to tank and gravity feeding from the tank to sump.

1 propeller type power head which seems to be circulating the water pretty well but we haven't yet decided on the best place for it.

We're using red sea salt mix.

5kgs of cured live rock, which we just bought today - it was all they had so we're looking for more. It was very white earlier today but in the last hour has started turning pink-ish purple in spots.

we don't have a light yet so while the tank cycles and for the live rock we're using a fluroescent (Any ideas as to what sort of light would be ideal?)

The temp is at 82 degrees F - We know it's a bit warm (being we're on the sunshine coast- QLD - Australia & Today has been really hot) but don't have a chiller yet, Does anyone know if chillers are sold in small sizes or if there is a good alternative solution? and is this temp going to destroy our live rock?

we also purchased 4 test kits; high range PH, Nitrate, Nitrite & Amonia also a hydrometer/thermometer. Are there any other important ones we should have? (we wont be adding fish or corals for 6-8 weeks)

Currently the salinity is;
(we're adding more salt slowly to reach 0.021)

PH; 8.0

Nitrite; 0

Nitrate; 0

Amonia; 0

Do we seem to be on the right track? If anyone has any advice or constructive critisism that would be fantastic.

Thanks, Hayley.

-Pixie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2009, 09:13 AM   #1375
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Hayley,

To Reef Central

Seems like your off to a good start, to answer a few questions and to offer some advice, I may have missed it but I didn't see what your goals are with the tank. is it going to be for fish or are you wanting to get some corals in there tank? living in Australia I would assume you’re going to have corals. As far as water movement you're off to a good start put you're going to want more flow from power heads. calculate your GPH (gallons per hour) and you're going to want to have at least 20-30X the tank volume in GPH. so with a 10 gallon tank you want 200-300 GPH.

Same with the rock 5kgs are not going to be enough (but I get it that stuff is expensive) get it when you can afford it.

Lighting is going to be determined by what's in the tank. if you have fish only, then any type of light will work, it usually comes down to the owners preference. but if your adding corals they are going to require good light for growth you’re going to want t-5's, VHO's or metal halides. etc

They make chillers for just about any application.

a great place to get more answers is here good luck with your build.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral