insanely nice!

Do you run GAC or GFO at all?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 10:03 AM   #52
Underwood
Registered Member

Copps - I've really enjoyed following your posts over the years. I have a few questions if you don't mind...

It had been a couple years between this thread and your other threads. In the past, you've documented the various rare and unique fish (particularly the angels) that you've over the years. Is there anything "new" (since your other posts) and cool that you've added that you can share?

How much time would you say you spend on your tank(s) per week?

Given your tank is 3 1/2 ft tall, how do you go about doing maintenance at the bottom of the tank, like vacuuming up detritus / gluing new frags / fragging colonies / etc? Do you ever pop a dive mask on and lean half your body into the tank?

That Gigas looks massive. Any idea on its size and weight? How long had the person you acquired from had it?

Thanks,
Geoffrey

Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:02 PM   #53
Reef noob_
Registered Member

As a current high school student with the tanks taking over, this is incredibly inspirational. Time to start planning mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 06:16 PM   #54
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblew View Post
John, if I haven't shared enough of my admiration for you and your knowledge and complete focus on details before this thread, let me tell you this has certainly cemented my admiration in stone. You Sir, are the Paul McCartney of the reefing world. Incredible! Thank you John for giving us a glimpse into your world and mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Couldn't agree more !!!! You are The One True GODFATHER of the reefing world .

Regards,
Abhishek
Guys, you're making me blush... thanks for the compliments... I haven't posted very much in the last few years, and while I have many friends over often I don't show my systems off very much online... this is my first build thread I believe... so it's appreciated... but I must say the true Godfathers and Paul McCartneys of this hobby are many... and were doing this as they say when I was in diapers...

One of the Godfathers is Dr. Bruce Carlson... As one of the organizers of the 2015 MACNA I was the speaker coordinator... to show the level of respect I have for Bruce I chose him as our Saturday night banquet speaker... the biggest speaking gig in the biz... it's tough to sum up Bruce contributions to our hobby... but to sum it up... Bruce started keeping marine tanks in the early 1960s... in the early 1970s he joins the Peace Corps and lived in Fiji... He's shared photos with me of his tanks in Fiji in the early 1970s where he believe it or not had Acropora in them... before I was born... it's just amazing... in the mid 1970s he started working at the Waikiki Aquarium, and after getting his PhD in Ichthyology Bruce became just the sixth or seventh Director of this historic aquarium that's over 110 years old... he spent over 25 years there and pioneered the keeping of corals... was one of the first to "frag" overgrowth of Acropora, and had the first public displays in the United States of the Pacific corals we all know and love... Bruce left the Waikiki Aquarium in 2002 to be one of the designers of the Georgia Aquarium... the owner of Home Depot sat Bruce and few others down at a table... and basically told them that he wanted to gift an aquarium to the city of Atlanta... he asked that they make the best aquarium in the world... and gave them a budget of 200 million dollars... and I thought I was nervous planning my system! They ended up spending 250 million dollars... and as they say... the rest is history...

Bruce is now retired and lives back in Hawaii, where his wife Marj works at the Disney resort and manages their swim through exhibit... I travel with my job to Hawaii regularly, and Bruce, my son and I went through the old aquarium...

Here's a shot of us at one of their outdoor exhibits... Bruce realized that he was having troubly keeping Acropora and other hard corals early on... they had sun, and they had pristine water pulled in from the ocean, but he realized they needed flow... he came up with a device that is now famous and named after him called the Carlson surge device... you could see it on the left... it's basically a giant vat of water that slowly fills... and every ten minutes or flushes like a giant toilet bowl and provides enough flow to grow incredibly large colonies of Acropora... just amazing...

It's like $9 to get in this aquarium... no Shamu or flipping dolphins... but the exhibits are incredible...

Check these out... on the left is Tridacna gigas... the next tank has a carpet and magnifica anemone... the third tank is a mixed reef with Acropora... and the fourth tank has a mangroves and a saltwater crocodile... pretty cool huh? Well... this photo was taken in 1980!!!!! Literally... I was in diapers...

Many of their exhibits have inspired me through the years... this is another... I think around 4000 gallons... these are the oldest clams in captivity... Bruce got them in 1982, and while one has passed on recently there is still one alive now...

As an aside I am a hardcore angelfish guy... in addition to everything else Bruce has done he described the Griffis' angelfish... Apolemichthys griffisi...

Another one of my huge influences who got his start at the Waikiki Aquarium (at age 12) is Rich Pyle... another PhD ichthyologist and amazing aquarist... the world authority on the Pomacanthid family, and a pioneer in deep sea diving... diving a rebreather with Rich is like having a friggin' beer with Sam Adams! Had Rich not just given a banquet talk at MACNA before ours he would have given Bruce a run for his money...

Crack a beer and read one of Rich's many great works... what a story...
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research...utz97/cmd.html

How about the one who all reef fans look up to... the LIVING LEGEND... the great Dr. Jack Randall... Jack has described more valid reef fish species than any person in history... over 800 now... and has probably dived more than any person in history... Jack is now 93... but shares all of his knowledge so well... Jack can jam his hand into one of his encyclopedia sized books, open the page, and talk for hours about the one or two fish species on that page... in recent years he's had trouble getting around, so instead of me taking him and his wife to dinner... I picked up their choice of takeout and we ate in...

The list can go on... and this is just on the island of Oahu! These guys are the Godfathers and Paul McCartneys... rock stars and legends, and we as hobbyists owe so much to them... I read about them as a kid, and as you meet them you realize they all share a story that many of us do... we grew up as kids enamored with the oceans and coral reefs...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 06:31 PM   #55
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerw View Post
Hey John. Amazing as always. Phenomenal growth and great color!!
Stacie, it's great to hear from you! Your old avatar image of the interrupta from back in the day has brought back memories... any new experience with them? I have a pair now for the past few years, and traveled to Japan a few years ago and dived with friend Koji Wada to see them... if you haven't seen it I published an article on them in Coral a couple of years ago... it's LONG winded, but you are one of the people that would appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
John, if Tom can't carry the salt boxes and or a full 5 gallon bucket of b-ionic, I'll take his place in the spare bedroom. I can carry both!

Corey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
I have no problem carrying salt and buckets! I’ll even vacuum the floors!
Guys... I had no problems with B-ionic buckets or Reef Crystals boxes... until I started getting the B-ionic buckets filled to top with concentrate... it's like carrying a bucket of cement... and the Reef Crystals boxes look easier to carry when the're not getting dropped off on a pallet with 40 friggin' boxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
insanely nice!

Do you run GAC or GFO at all?
I do run GAC... but no GFO... I've been doing what I've been doing in the hobby since before GFO came out... and when it came out I saw so many friends NUKE their tank with too much GFO... even if I were to use it it's not the most cost efficient thing on a 2000 gallon system... and I do not like the looks of pastel colored Acropora... reminds me of one of my trips to Guam right after a major bleaching event... I remember seeing these guys on the dive boat high fiving each other... commenting they'd never seen colors like that on a reef... these were the types of guys that talk about their new fancy BC and all it does... show off their new equipment and talk about the places they've been... yet understand little about the reef... when I grew up skiing these were the guys who would leave the lift tickets from Vail, Sun Valley... etc. like an accordion on their jackets... but couldn't ski for ****... I was depressed on that trip as almost all of the islands Acropora had suffered... so... I'm the last person to say my way is the only way that works... there are many ways to keep a great reef and grow coral, but no GFO for me...

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 02/24/2018, 07:17 PM   #56
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwood View Post
Copps - I've really enjoyed following your posts over the years. I have a few questions if you don't mind...

It had been a couple years between this thread and your other threads. In the past, you've documented the various rare and unique fish (particularly the angels) that you've over the years. Is there anything "new" (since your other posts) and cool that you've added that you can share?
Yes!!! Believe it or not I'm a hardcore fish guy... that happens to keep corals... I'm not sure what I've shared or not in the reef fishes forum, but all those links are dead thanks to Photo Bucket, so I'll throw a few bones to the fish guys here... most of my rare fish are in my fish only... but here are shots of fish in this system... I hate saying "rare fish"... these are fish that are hard to come by in the hobby and give me the excitement I had when I was a child with more common fish... and as I say if you have to ask if something is rare you don't deserve it! Don't get things because they're rare... get them because they excite you!

Of course a bone for the angel guys... starting with one of the most special angels I've ever owned... it's on Lemon Tyk's angelfish poster that many of us have hanging... a Centropyge multiolor/ferrugata hybrid(with perhaps loriculus also in it)...

Here's a Centropyge resplendens/argi hybrid... this fish has survived many years and is a hybrid between the two smallest species of angels... he's avoided all six of my MP60s and survived the move from my old house... not sure there's a Centropyge resplendens anthing left in the US... if anyone knows let me know...

Flame/rusty hybrids... I fin clipped these exact fish years ago and sent them to Luiz Rocha, who confirmed daddy was a flame and mommy was a rusty angel... the first genetically confirmed angelfish hybrids according to him at that time...

The newly described Centropyge cocosensis... from the Cocos-Keeling Islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean... I first got these over ten years ago with my joculator when they were just known as lemonpeels... but for many nerdy reasons we knew they were they're own species and just required time to be looked at...

A shot from back in the day... many remember my car key shots...

A shot for the anthias guys... Pseudanthias hawaiiensis... collected by friend Tony Nahacky on the Kona coast of the Big Island... male in front and female in the back...

For the tang guys... I'm a huge Zebrasoma fan...
Zebrasoma gemmatum... the now much more common gem tang...

Hybrid Zebrasoma rostratum/scopas tang... a black tang/scopas hybrid... showing the black color and long nose of rostratum and the beautiful lines of scopas...

A shot for the damsel guys... (hey don't laugh!)... I'm the biggest fan of the genus Chrysiptera that there is and probably have ten species... this guy is Chrysiptera galba... from Chip Boyle's station in the Cook Islands... and a reefmate of the peppermint angel...

Unread 02/24/2018, 07:27 PM   #57
copps
Premium Member

Quote:

And for the clownfish guys... my pair of leucokranos clowns... had these guys for years... you can see them in my TOTM from 2011 when smaller... they're now HUGE and regularly spawn... a shot of the pair early on in the 1300 when I had just two magnifica...

A close up shot of those two magnifica... one is the traditional purple base to the left... the other is is a blood red base glowing green with purple tips magnifica...

And a shot I just took of the magnifica island... since the above photo a few years ago I've added an INCREDIBLE purple magnifica to the island in the foreground... and a blue gigantea... the leucs float back and forth between the two species of anemones... and don't allow any other speceies of clowns in the 1300 gallon... not even small, non threatening species...

A lower shot showing that purple magnifica... there will always be things that continue to excite me in this hobby...

Unread 02/24/2018, 07:43 PM   #58
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
How much time would you say you spend on your tank(s) per week?
This is perhaps the hardest question for me to answer... with the way I designed the system most all of the time I spend on it is enjoyable time... time fragging... caring for new fish in QT... gardening underwater... I have a radio in my fish room and just relax there... hanging out with my son who is always with me now when he's home. My water changes require just a few ball valve turns. Many people ask me... "Isn't it a lot of work?"... I answer that what many of us do some consider work... but to us it is fun... look at guys that rebuild classic cars... that's a ton of work to some... but to them it is LIVING LIFE... and for me I've always loved the ocean... I travel to it quite a bit... and unfortunately don't live too close to coral reefs... so I bring the coral reefs to me!

Some weeks I spend a half hour a day for the week... with the minimal fish feeding, adding two part to predetermined cup sizes, and filling up topoff water... others I spend an entire weekend in the tank do a major reaquascape... I made a list of things I didn't like doing in the hobby before I built this system... and minimized the time I spend doing it... but of course the greater the square footage of your reef the more you have to do... but I'm a livestock guy and enjoy those things...

Quote:
Given your tank is 3 1/2 ft tall, how do you go about doing maintenance at the bottom of the tank, like vacuuming up detritus / gluing new frags / fragging colonies / etc? Do you ever pop a dive mask on and lean half your body into the tank?
To gravel vac I have a few different sized "Super Syphons" from Mighty Magnets... and I've gotten very good with tongs when it comes to aquascaping... just about everything I have is from frags, and it's easy to glue a frag down with tongs now... the nice thing is that while my tank is 42" deep most of my sps are up off the floor and I can reach them... without doing the mask and snorkel thing. I've done it all... including getting in the tank... but those days are behind me as it's grown in. To frag the things I can't reach I actually have a crow bar... and different sized bone cutters that allow me to reach.

Unread 02/24/2018, 11:32 PM   #59
dodgerblew
Registered Member

I'll give the Drs. Randall, Carlson and Pyle there own rockstar status, say Elvis, Chuck Berry and Little Richard but you're still McCartney in my book

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 01:06 AM   #60
ClintY
Registered Member

John,

You managed to get this dinosaur of a member and long time lurker out posting. I was one of the first few dozen members who joined Reef Central way back.

The hobby and its technology has come a long way and I have seen many monster builds. But I don't think any is backed by your extreme level of commitment. The size of the fish room is bigger than a downtown condo in my neck of the woods... Vancouver, BC.

Simply amazing... Makes me wish I didn't divert my attention to so many different hobbies and gave up reef keeping all together...

If you have a video of your displays showing the behaviour of the fish etc, please share.

I will be following your journey more regularly.

Kindest regards,

Clinton

ClintY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 11:56 AM   #61
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
That Gigas looks massive. Any idea on its size and weight? How long had the person you acquired from had it?

Thanks,
Geoffrey
Oh the gigas... I'd been planning this system in my head for decades... there were constants in the planning... must haves for years that I planned... a large group of anthias... a pair of imperator angels... a few regal angels... groups of Centropyge... a magnifica anemone island... stands of Acropora everywhere... and a true giant clam... the gigas was acquired by my friend John in about 2006... he had in a tank just over 300 gallons and it was outgrowing it... fortunately I'm Clark Griswold and love to travel with the wife and kids... we're hitting all 50 states before they leave the nest. I had a road trip planned that included white water rafting in West Virginia, a visit to Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky, then onto Chicago... and on and on... we passed through Indianapolis and decided to stay a couple of days there, where John lives and had the clam. We visited him and I saw the clam... yada yada yada... he drove it out not long after.

The clam was growing like a root. After seeing the gigas in Waikiki on a yearly basis grow I got a bit scared as I like to plan for the long term... the larger of the gigas the Waikiki acquired in 1982 was five years old... born in 1977... same year as me... and back before we had kids in the early 2000s my wife would accompany me to Hawaii on every trip... at the time they were weighing the clams regularly... and my wife pointed out that the clams weight... 160... than 170... than 180... was pacing mine... she would jokingly tell me to not outpace the clam... fortunately I've slimmed down a bit now and the remaining clam is probably over 300 pounds... So, I wondered how large and how fast this thing was going to grow...

Early last year I had James Fatheree over my house... who wrote the book on giant clams... it was the largest clam he'd ever seen in someone's house... one of the questions I had for him was when would this clam start spawning... and would my 1950 gallons of water be able to handle it. He said it would and for me not to worry... in retrospect... the clam had already been spawning... just lightly and I didn't realize it.

Then came Spring break of last year... I had a thirteen day Griswold family vacation planned that included Las Vegas, NV Death Valley National Park in California, Hoover Dam, Zion National Park in Utah (AMAZING!), and the Grand Canyon and Sedona in Arizona. A few days before leaving I did two water changes back to back... on the second water change my 200 gallon water vat was probably in the 60s in terms of temperature... not really a big deal... except that it triggered something catastrophic in the gigas...

The morning the day before we were flying out west for this trip I walked into the basement before taking my daughter to the bus stop as usual... the lights were off on the big system but as I walked by my eye caught something in the tank... it's amazing how you know the sites and sounds of your system so well... the tank was cloudy... I turned on the actinics and saw this through the side view... compared to the views above of my system... I couldn't see two feet into the tank...

I was speechless... but I had two things going for me to my benefit... one... I was home for the next thirty hours... and two... I knew this cloudiness was from a clam spawn and not cloudiness from death... at least not yet... My skimmer had gone nuts... my five gallon skimmer bucket was full... we all know what skimmate looks like... and what color... but this is what the bucket was... LOADED with clam sperm... and EGGS...

The water change I had done with colder water had triggered a massive spawn from the gigas... and initiated many of my other clams to spawn... I watched some in the 4" range shooting out eggs... but the amount of sperm the gigas put out I could not comprehend... IT HAD TURNED NEARLY 2000 GALLONS OF WATER INTO NEAR MILK!

I texted James Fatheree a pic... his response was "Cool!!!"... not cool to me I went to work wet skimming... and changing my filter socks... and had it nearly clear by the time we flew out the next day.

I called up Joe Yaiullo at the Long Island Aquarium... a good friend and an inspiration for my system... he's a fellow NY Italian and he has that mix of technical and artistic traits required to have an amazing system... if you have not seen his 20,000 gallon reef you should plan to. He had been looking for a gigas clam and I had planned down the line to give this to him... but that spawn expedited it. I planned the trip and my father, myself, and my son drove this baby up... the clam was about 60 to 70 pounds... here's Joe receiving it... happy as a clam... notice the white ring of growth on this baby... the shell was almost 30 inches from tip to tip...

My son about to hand the clam to Joe... getting in the tank...

Joe almost fell over with it in the tank... it was funny because we got there after hours, and the facility was rented out by the fire department... all of these guys and gals dressed up... and there were wrestling a clam and guiding it into place...

Always a great day at Joe's! Here's Joe, myself, my son and my father... a great trip... that's Bob Stark in the background... Co-owner at ESV and creator of B-ionic... he came out to the Island to meet us... asked me how much B-ionic I wanted... and I asked "how much can you fit in your car?" ... he rolled in with his bumper near dragging... his car was filled with buckets for me to take back to Virginia... thanks Bobby!

And a shot when we returned the next day... you can see it in the center... this is the left half of this 20,000 gallon incredible reef...

So... my lifelong goal of wanting a gigas in my giant reef is gone... been there... done that... I had no clue that this clam could have taken down my reef... you think 2000 gallons is alot... but it's a drop in the bucket. Sticking to my squamosas now!

Unread 02/25/2018, 12:06 PM   #62
hatfielj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copps View Post
Guys, you're making me blush... thanks for the compliments... I haven't posted very much in the last few years, and while I have many friends over often I don't show my systems off very much online... this is my first build thread I believe... so it's appreciated... but I must say the true Godfathers and Paul McCartneys of this hobby are many... and were doing this as they say when I was in diapers...

One of the Godfathers is Dr. Bruce Carlson... As one of the organizers of the 2015 MACNA I was the speaker coordinator... to show the level of respect I have for Bruce I chose him as our Saturday night banquet speaker... the biggest speaking gig in the biz... it's tough to sum up Bruce contributions to our hobby... but to sum it up... Bruce started keeping marine tanks in the early 1960s... in the early 1970s he joins the Peace Corps and lived in Fiji... He's shared photos with me of his tanks in Fiji in the early 1970s where he believe it or not had Acropora in them... before I was born... it's just amazing... in the mid 1970s he started working at the Waikiki Aquarium, and after getting his PhD in Ichthyology Bruce became just the sixth or seventh Director of this historic aquarium that's over 110 years old... he spent over 25 years there and pioneered the keeping of corals... was one of the first to "frag" overgrowth of Acropora, and had the first public displays in the United States of the Pacific corals we all know and love... Bruce left the Waikiki Aquarium in 2002 to be one of the designers of the Georgia Aquarium... the owner of Home Depot sat Bruce and few others down at a table... and basically told them that he wanted to gift an aquarium to the city of Atlanta... he asked that they make the best aquarium in the world... and gave them a budget of 200 million dollars... and I thought I was nervous planning my system! They ended up spending 250 million dollars... and as they say... the rest is history...

Bruce is now retired and lives back in Hawaii, where his wife Marj works at the Disney resort and manages their swim through exhibit... I travel with my job to Hawaii regularly, and Bruce, my son and I went through the old aquarium...

Here's a shot of us at one of their outdoor exhibits... Bruce realized that he was having troubly keeping Acropora and other hard corals early on... they had sun, and they had pristine water pulled in from the ocean, but he realized they needed flow... he came up with a device that is now famous and named after him called the Carlson surge device... you could see it on the left... it's basically a giant vat of water that slowly fills... and every ten minutes or flushes like a giant toilet bowl and provides enough flow to grow incredibly large colonies of Acropora... just amazing...

It's like $9 to get in this aquarium... no Shamu or flipping dolphins... but the exhibits are incredible...

Check these out... on the left is Tridacna gigas... the next tank has a carpet and magnifica anemone... the third tank is a mixed reef with Acropora... and the fourth tank has a mangroves and a saltwater crocodile... pretty cool huh? Well... this photo was taken in 1980!!!!! Literally... I was in diapers...

Many of their exhibits have inspired me through the years... this is another... I think around 4000 gallons... these are the oldest clams in captivity... Bruce got them in 1982, and while one has passed on recently there is still one alive now...

As an aside I am a hardcore angelfish guy... in addition to everything else Bruce has done he described the Griffis' angelfish... Apolemichthys griffisi...

Another one of my huge influences who got his start at the Waikiki Aquarium (at age 12) is Rich Pyle... another PhD ichthyologist and amazing aquarist... the world authority on the Pomacanthid family, and a pioneer in deep sea diving... diving a rebreather with Rich is like having a friggin' beer with Sam Adams! Had Rich not just given a banquet talk at MACNA before ours he would have given Bruce a run for his money...

Crack a beer and read one of Rich's many great works... what a story...
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research...utz97/cmd.html

How about the one who all reef fans look up to... the LIVING LEGEND... the great Dr. Jack Randall... Jack has described more valid reef fish species than any person in history... over 800 now... and has probably dived more than any person in history... Jack is now 93... but shares all of his knowledge so well... Jack can jam his hand into one of his encyclopedia sized books, open the page, and talk for hours about the one or two fish species on that page... in recent years he's had trouble getting around, so instead of me taking him and his wife to dinner... I picked up their choice of takeout and we ate in...

The list can go on... and this is just on the island of Oahu! These guys are the Godfathers and Paul McCartneys... rock stars and legends, and we as hobbyists owe so much to them... I read about them as a kid, and as you meet them you realize they all share a story that many of us do... we grew up as kids enamored with the oceans and coral reefs...
What island is this on??

hatfielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 12:13 PM   #63
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef noob_ View Post
As a current high school student with the tanks taking over, this is incredibly inspirational. Time to start planning mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's AWESOME! As a kid I was inspired by so many... have you been to Absolutely Fish in Clifton? When I was a kid it was called Aqua-Tropics... but it's the same awesome store now... I was just there last year when I spoke at Reefapalooza nearby... one of the best shops in the US. As a kid I would spend hours there... mesmerized... I remember it all... clarion angels for $300 or $400 bucks... the first wave of Red Sea things... $400 purple tangs... I remember the first asfur angel I saw... nearly $800... the first conspic angel... at almost $2K! As a kid this seemed unattainable... $2000 to a twelve year old is like a million to an adult...

Anyway, keeping systems like you are as a kid builds character... and allows you to appreciate those you have as an adult... without jumping on my soapbox I will tell you to plan your life like I planned my dream system... be willing to do a lot of up front work at your age... bust your butt... whatever you decide to do in life... a brain surgeon... a plumber... a teacher... bust your butt and do it well... for your hard work at your age will allow you to have an easier life later on, and build your dream system you want. I busted my butt building my system... a lot of up front work so that I could coast and enjoy doing the things I love with my systems... do the same in your life.

Unread 02/25/2018, 12:18 PM   #64
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfielj View Post
What island is this on??
This is all on Oahu... but with you going to Maui there is plenty to do there... I love it... we'll be back this summer... drive the road to Hana... go up to Haleakala... preferably for sunrise... check out the Maui Ocean Center... not quite the displays of the Waikiki Aquarium but one of the cool things I did there years ago was to dive in there large tank... which had a tiger shark in it! That's the one shark I'm wary of when in the water in Hawaii... but this guy was uninterested... a cool experience!

Unread 02/25/2018, 12:28 PM   #65
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblew View Post
I'll give the Drs. Randall, Carlson and Pyle there own rockstar status, say Elvis, Chuck Berry and Little Richard but you're still McCartney in my book
Lol... I'll pass this along to them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintY View Post
John,

You managed to get this dinosaur of a member and long time lurker out posting. I was one of the first few dozen members who joined Reef Central way back.

The hobby and its technology has come a long way and I have seen many monster builds. But I don't think any is backed by your extreme level of commitment. The size of the fish room is bigger than a downtown condo in my neck of the woods... Vancouver, BC.

Simply amazing... Makes me wish I didn't divert my attention to so many different hobbies and gave up reef keeping all together...

If you have a video of your displays showing the behaviour of the fish etc, please share.

I will be following your journey more regularly.

Kindest regards,

Clinton
Clinton, thank you so much... it's really such a pleasure... I share my systems with so many people that are not hobbyists like you guys... it's funny, because they come down the stairs in my house and oohh and ahhh... saying "Wow!"... and that's when they see my 350 gallon fish only... as we know it's easy to impress non hobbyists... but to inspire old salts like yourself is truly gratifying... I always tell people that come over that I didn't make these organisms... Mother Nature did... I just keep them... living art they are... it's just incredible what our coral reefs have... I'll for sure get some videos soon. Where you live you shouldn't be inside much anyway... I travel to Bremerton, Washington with work... just south of you, and it's absolutely beautiful where you live... so green and so lush... with so much waterfront and so many interesting creatures living in the water... thanks again Clinton and enjoy following along. Feel free to throw more comments in while your lurking!

Unread 02/25/2018, 01:23 PM   #66
hatfielj
Registered Member

Quote:
This is all on Oahu... but with you going to Maui there is plenty to do there... I love it... we'll be back this summer... drive the road to Hana... go up to Haleakala... preferably for sunrise... check out the Maui Ocean Center... not quite the displays of the Waikiki Aquarium but one of the cool things I did there years ago was to dive in there large tank... which had a tiger shark in it! That's the one shark I'm wary of when in the water in Hawaii... but this guy was uninterested... a cool experience!
Very cool, thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of checking that place out.

hatfielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 05:18 PM   #67
Ucantwin
Registered Member

With that size of system I'd be afraid to travel as much as you seem to do. What type of work do you do that has you traveling like that?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 05:58 PM   #68
topjimmy
Registered Member

Do you rob banks for a living?

That setup is awesome.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Aristotle
topjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 07:21 PM   #69
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Hey John,
I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for sharing your tank, experiences and friendships with us. It has only been a few pages but already you have given us contact with several legends in this hobby, yourself included. I have been keeping marine fish since 1983 and it has really been a treat to hear you relate stories of some of the greats. It is so nice to have contact with some of the "old" guard, I hope you can spur some others to come out of the shadows. Your time spent here really enriches this forum for all of us and elevates our collective experience.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 09:33 PM   #70
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
Hey John,
I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for sharing your tank, experiences and friendships with us. It has only been a few pages but already you have given us contact with several legends in this hobby, yourself included. I have been keeping marine fish since 1983 and it has really been a treat to hear you relate stories of some of the greats. It is so nice to have contact with some of the "old" guard, I hope you can spur some others to come out of the shadows. Your time spent here really enriches this forum for all of us and elevates our collective experience.
well said

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 08:24 PM   #71
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Wow, makes my 450 look small ...... I guess it is small! Reef tanks are like storage, 'crap' expands to fill the available space or in the case of a reef tank, grows. Love the pyramids/zosters.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 01:17 AM   #72
ClintY
Registered Member

Quote:
Lol... I'll pass this along to them...

Clinton, thank you so much... it's really such a pleasure... I share my systems with so many people that are not hobbyists like you guys... it's funny, because they come down the stairs in my house and oohh and ahhh... saying "Wow!"... and that's when they see my 350 gallon fish only... as we know it's easy to impress non hobbyists... but to inspire old salts like yourself is truly gratifying... I always tell people that come over that I didn't make these organisms... Mother Nature did... I just keep them... living art they are... it's just incredible what our coral reefs have... I'll for sure get some videos soon. Where you live you shouldn't be inside much anyway... I travel to Bremerton, Washington with work... just south of you, and it's absolutely beautiful where you live... so green and so lush... with so much waterfront and so many interesting creatures living in the water... thanks again Clinton and enjoy following along. Feel free to throw more comments in while your lurking!
Now that I look at your post a few more times, I do recall seeing your 180g... and was always amazed at how dense and complete the coral heads grew. What is also really impressive is your dedication to meeting and working with the forefathers in the science and hobby of reef husbandry.

I had a 60 gallon running a DIY skimmer with a DIY needle wheel, DIY aragonite reactor and dosing kalkwasser with DIY MH lights then. Heck I was messing with the seaclone and amongst others was encouraged by Larry Maras to write more articles about various projects to boost RC's content back in the day. I went as far as researching with our local lighting manufacturers to prototype MH fixtures using 70 watt par lamps and cree LED etc but could not compete with the real companies who can mass produce the goods.

The hobby was becoming more and more complex and expensive with members dosing chemicals, feeding live foods and using all sorts of new equipment claiming to be the only way to achieve your results. Then I tore the system down in 2007 to build a new home but have not set up another reef since.

Interestingly, you mentioned kalkwasser and MH lighting in your system. So the technology race may be turning full circle back to simpler equipment. Mind you the modern digital ballast is a whole lot more efficient and dimmable than the magnetic ones we were using...

Bremerton! A fellow electronics wiz who moderates the Oplug forum for my other hobby, http://www.linkwitzlab.com/, lives there. yes, the west coast does have some interesting sea life, mostly anemones, which took me on a search for tidepools to collect specimen for a cold water reef, then I thought maybe if I lived by the water I could pump water in, etc etc and ended up purchasing a lot in Sooke BC. I currently have a simple 5 bedroom rancher with a 4 car garage/shop (another obsession) designed as my retirement - summer / long weekend home... but looks like I will need to add a fish room now that I am inspired by your efforts.

Hopefully you will list out your systems in more detail and perhaps a maintenance checklist/routine so a novice like myself can see what is really needed to achieve your results.

Cheers,
Clinton

ClintY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 03:26 PM   #73
ReefBum
Registered Member

Simply wow. You have taken things to a whole new stratosphere!

Question....and perhaps I missed this, but did you use just dry rock to start this system or did you seed it with some live rock from your old tank? Interested to see if you ran into any algae problems (dinos?) others, myself included, have experienced starting dry rock only tanks or had trouble at first growing SPS due to lack of biodiversity.

Current Tank Info: Eurobraced 187g Low Iron Glass Tank
ReefBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 10:22 PM   #74
reefsponge
Registered Member

Simply amazing! Well done, very happy for you and your hard work. It is a true work of art

reefsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 06:42 AM   #75
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks for sharing the new tank John! I am curious, did you collect many new acros for this tank? If so let's see em How do you go about making sure no pests enter your system? Have you had any coral pests before? I would love to see this setup in person!

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote