Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Disease Treatment Archive
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2000, 01:40 AM   #26
horge
Reefer

Fuzzy? Yes kirbster, but take it as it was meant: a compliment. (start the violin music)

I am fully appreciative of empirical data. But reductive logic and its pinnings can be taken only so far when constrained by the limits of BB post space, and in the context of a complex dynamic like a reef microcosm:

I would imagine that if hard "unfuzzy" data were the only currency of this medium, we'd be whipping out citations and referenes all day before ever getting a point across. Much worse if the data itself were to be traded verbatim. Maybe the reason this medium works is that we start off assuming everyone is competent at reefkeeping; has a solid grasp of basic biology and chemistry and then some; has an ample resource pool of information to draw on; is not out to disparage or to show off; and is honest.

If anyone had tried to deliver the "fuzzy" data in your pictures by using "unfuzzy" empirical verbiage alone, I imagine the result would have been lengthy at best, and at worst impenetrable.

I apologize if you feel slighted, kirb, (choke!) but I guess I overused your fine post to sneak in a point for the positive side to "fuzzy".

Would anemone fritters ease the hurt?
Hehehehe.

BTW: regarding the dressed up vagueness regarding Melaleuca alt...things HAVEN'T changed in the decade since:

(From an Australian defender of Mela-oil)
".....The group of researchers that has done the most comprehensive job to date is the team of Microbiologist at the Department of Microbiology, University of Western Australia. Led by Professor Thomas V. Riley, his team of people including Miss Christine Carson and Miss Katherine Hammer has managed to not only do excellent research, but to have the research accepted and published in some higly respected international publications.

In 1993, they proved that Tea Tree Oil was effective in killing the Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, a bacteria that has become resistant to any other treatment (MRSA).

A major part of the groups initial work was in developing the best possible method to measure the Anti-microbial efficacy of Tea Tree Oil. The standard methods to determine the anti-microbial efficacy of synthetic products were not useful when measuring the efficacy of Tea Tree Oil, as they were designed to test water soluble products. Tea Tree Oil is an oil, and therefor it was necessary to use an emulsifier together with the oil to determine the efficacy. This meant that the result of the test could have been influenced by the emulsifier and not showed the true power of the Oil.

Now sponsored by the Australian government funded research organisation RIRDC for more than 3 years, the team has produced a number of interested findings. Including the proof that Tea Tree Oil kills Malazzesia Furfur, a yeast responsible for certain types of dandruff, dermatitis and vaginal infections.

Another interesting finding was that Tea Tree Oil actually does not kill the healthy bacteria on the skin but only the bacteria that are pathogenic, if Tea Tree Oil is used daily in the right concentration.

As this team now possesses the most advanced scientific understanding of how Tea Tree Oil actually works, Australian Bodycare has increased the co-operation and financial support of the research group."

Suitably vague, everyone?

[This message has been edited by horge (edited 01-19-2000).]