Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2008, 09:36 AM   #26
chrisstie
Premium Member

I'm afraid to ask how you had the.. you must have some large thunder from down under to manage to shoo the ocotopus into a bucket for a photo, I would be running away from it crying!

I have heard about the large tides but I don't think I can really imagine it without standing there to see.

Strangely your area looks like where I grew up on the south west coast of Florida, USA, at a glance. I was looking at the vegitation and the rock and coral since you're so much closer to the equator and its a whole different world. I love studying the details of a place thank you so much for showing the pictures that you did.

So did you find the angel stuck in a tidepool or was he just extremely friendly? That is really cool!

Current Tank Info: I find it odd that there are children starving in this country and yet we euthanize millions of stray dogs and cats every year and then incinerate the bodies. Not only that, but we make it illegal to butcher the meat. -MarkS
chrisstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2008, 10:00 AM   #27
reefing102
Who Am I Here?

awesome pics,

I too wonder how you got the octopus into the bucket

Life's a climb... but the view is great.

Current Tank Info: 2.5 Gallon Nano
reefing102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2008, 10:25 AM   #28
slojmn
Premium Member

WOW, I must say that little clownfish and the large carpet were awesome to start with but then these follow up pics are to cool. I love seeing these kind of threads. I cannot imagine having anything to do with that Octy...you are way brave...or maybe something else, LOL. Thank you so much for sharing. Please keep sharing your pictures and adventures here with us. It is wonderful to see that kind of Mother Nature .

Current Tank Info: 120g Starphire Cube, 30g nanoreef
slojmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2008, 10:57 AM   #29
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

what are the chances of running into crocs where you were?

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2008, 02:17 PM   #30
colorfan45
Moved On

Must be great there.

colorfan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2008, 03:18 PM   #31
Lewy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstie
I'm afraid to ask how you had the.. you must have some large thunder from down under to manage to shoo the ocotopus into a bucket for a photo, I would be running away from it crying!

I have heard about the large tides but I don't think I can really imagine it without standing there to see.

Strangely your area looks like where I grew up on the south west coast of Florida, USA, at a glance. I was looking at the vegitation and the rock and coral since you're so much closer to the equator and its a whole different world. I love studying the details of a place thank you so much for showing the pictures that you did.

So did you find the angel stuck in a tidepool or was he just extremely friendly? That is really cool!
Someone else caught the octopus with a long handled net. The blue rings can apparently release toxics into the water as well. So you have to be careful. He was the third that we saw that day.

Large tides are amazing and goes to show how tough and resilient the corals are in our area. They also have to tolerate a few hours exposed to sunlight and in the tide pools which get very hot.

Our corals are generally very bland. Browns and light greens. But we do get some fluoro green heliofunias and bright purple gonis. We put it down to the large tidal variations and the turbid water it produces.

I'll take some photos of the are when the tides are in to show the difference.

We found the scribbled angel in a small pool. Because we didn't have nets. We caught it using our hands and coralled it into the bucket. First go we caught a large margined butterfly which we released. The warmer weather must be breeding season as their were al least 6 butterfly fish in every pool!!.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2008, 03:20 PM   #32
Lewy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adtravels
what are the chances of running into crocs where you were?
Funny you should mention that. There are crocs in the area. But they do not like the rough coral bottoms and do not venture out when the tides are that low.

We also go out to the area at night time as well. Now that is fun and scary.

Unread 12/14/2008, 03:21 PM   #33
Lewy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefing102
awesome pics
Thanks. Not bad from a camera phone eh?

Unread 12/14/2008, 05:26 PM   #34
chrisstie
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lewy
Funny you should mention that. There are crocs in the area. But they do not like the rough coral bottoms and do not venture out when the tides are that low.

We also go out to the area at night time as well. Now that is fun and scary.
Just shine a flashlight around and stay away from any eyes that shine back

Thanks again for sharing that is really magnificent. I think one day I would like to visit where you can walk right out to a reef like that. It really is amazing what painstaking things people go through for their corals in their tanks and yet they manage to live through the tides and critters in the wild.

While I live in FL now I'm hoping to eventually move out to Washington state which is on the west coast of the USA just south of Canada. While there wont be reefs and stuff there I am hoping there would be rocks and interesting live tucked into nooks and crannys so I would be able to walk along and discover things just like you are. Thats what I miss most about not being located near the shore right now. Just discovering little neat things!

I can't imagine little butterflies being everywhere. Maybe they get caught in the pools for feeding on the corals or things nearby them?

Current Tank Info: I find it odd that there are children starving in this country and yet we euthanize millions of stray dogs and cats every year and then incinerate the bodies. Not only that, but we make it illegal to butcher the meat. -MarkS
chrisstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2008, 07:05 PM   #35
mikejones
Registered Member

Bumps For More Pix... ;D

mikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2008, 07:54 PM   #36
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikejones
Bumps For More Pix... ;D
ditto

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2008, 08:10 PM   #37
jtrasap
Elite Member

Very cool..

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
jtrasap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 12:26 AM   #38
Thinslis
Registered Member

wow... I would love to see some of that stuff in the wild... my hats off to you friend. very cool.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder, ER-RS80, MP40w, 250w + 2xT5
Thinslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 12:42 AM   #39
reefdood
Registered Member

I can only imagine the numbers of tanks I'd have if I was living around there. Awesome pics.

Current Tank Info: 30g drilled display with a 20g sump, modded CPR skimmer in sump, Mag7 return, 1/4 hp chiller, Ranco DS, 175w Hamilton, (3) 3' VHO, IC 660, (2) hacksawed MJ 900's on a Waveaster Pro, LED moonlights, and an inch of sand.
reefdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 04:17 AM   #40
Lewy
Registered Member

How's this for a nice piece of LR?

Last edited by Lewy; 10/06/2017 at 02:57 PM.
Unread 12/16/2008, 10:28 AM   #41
tufacody
Registered Member

Yea, nothing like tidepools, no matter where you are. I gre up on the coast of NH/Me andused to love playing in the tidepools. Even there there was no end to the urchins, starfish and crabs you could find. Even though I moved to MN many years ago, I always make it a point when I go back to NH to take my kids and let them play in the tidepools as well.

Last summer I visitied my folks who retired to Clearwater, Fl. While wandering the beach I found a fully-grown queen angel washed up on the sand but still breathing. Although it must have been dying, I scooped it up, but it back in the surf, and it swam away! There is just nothing like those experiences. We can react with our tanks everyday but reacting with these animals in the wild is a whole different level.

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 12:22 PM   #42
lgndrympterry
Registered Member

hey Lewy i can view these pics your speaking about in this whole forum. Can u maybe pm them to me or e-mail them. <>.
Also I have a pair of the Black and White Ocellaris clowns, and they are tank bred but do come from austraila. I really appreicate that you bought the tank bred ones rather than taking them home. Its keeping the reef alive, which is the most important thing.
I was wondering if these clowns will host into a rose bubble tip. Also I have them in a 125 with an Orange ocellaris and they dont fight.

Last edited by Mark; 12/16/2008 at 05:05 PM.
lgndrympterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 03:38 PM   #43
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Dude, I wouldn't put your email on a worldwide website. PM him.

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Korrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 06:47 PM   #44
REEF-n-Chicago
Registered Member

very, very cool!

My tank gets DRUNK every morning

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon w/ 100 gallon sump; 240 gallon
REEF-n-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 07:15 PM   #45
acrodave
REEF NERD

What are the collection laws like were you are at. can you take rock and fish just like that..what about corals

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said

Less technology more biology

Tattoos are the only art you can take to the grave

Current Tank Info: 26gal bow,20gal mantis tank/fuge150wHQI,20k AB Seio 620 maxijet1200x's 2 on a wave maker. all sps
acrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2008, 07:39 PM   #46
Lewy
Registered Member

Collection laws are pretty lapse at this stage. As a hobbiest we are allowed to collect fish and corals for our own personal use.

But things might change next year as there are always individuals that ruin it for everyone.

There are only 6 collection licences up here and they are complaining that the hobbiest are taking away business from them.

In reality only two or three of the holders are actually collecting for the retail market and the rest are holding onto them hoping to sell them for a profit. One only collects hermit crabs from what I have heard.

Were they currently collect is around the Gove region to the East. That is where a collector got taken by a crocodile a few years ago.

The coastline is huge around where we are and largely unaccessable when the monsoon season hits. So the impact of the hobbiest is so minimal that it isn't funny.

Last edited by Lewy; 12/16/2008 at 07:47 PM.
Unread 12/16/2008, 07:46 PM   #47
criccio
Premium Member

Lewy, do you ever see any other clown species in the Darwin area? Also, are there any other hosting nems that the black o's are found in other then the S. gigantea?

Unread 12/16/2008, 07:52 PM   #48
Lewy
Registered Member

We also have Amphiprion rubrocintus or black clown fish. You can find them on virtually every bubble tip anemone you see up here. They are really aggressive to other fish and get up to 140mm in length. Very aggressive I ahve been told to divers.

The bubble tips that they host in are very prolific and get very large and split regularly in the aquarium

Unread 12/16/2008, 08:00 PM   #49
criccio
Premium Member

I was wondering if the rubros were in the same waters, good to know. There is a pic of a pair I have in my gallery.

Thanks

Unread 12/16/2008, 08:09 PM   #50
Lewy
Registered Member

The pic you have is them. I always get them confused with Tomatoes.

The rubros do change colour when they grow larger and the adults are downright ugly. Very cute as juveniles though.