Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2021, 08:44 PM   #1
teddscau
Registered Member

Treatment for Extremely Weak Sun Coral

Long story short, my dad was in charge of feeding the NPS corals, but it turns out he wasn't feeding the sun coral properly, and as a result it didn't eat for well over a month, and it has refused to show its tentacles for more than two months. At least a third of the colony died.

For a month now, I've been taking him out of the tank at least five times a week and putting him in a Tupperware, and I've been feeding each individual polyp by hand, which is a nightmare. I streamlined the whole thing after a couple of weeks, and I'm now feeding him ReefRoids for most of his feedings, and one feeding every week or two I feed each individual polyp tiny pieces of LRS using tongs.

When I started hand feeding him, it would take at least an hour for his polyps to swallow the food. A lot of them were too weak to even swallow the food, and would give up partway through. The polyps are a lot stronger now and take only a third of the amount of time as before. They're also reacting much faster to food being placed on their mouths, and start opening their lips after less than three minutes.

However, tonight I noticed a bit of an odour coming from him when I was putting him in the Tupperware tonight. It's not as strong as full blown tissue necrosis, but he doesn't smell right. He looked fine before taking him out (no gaping). Three or four days ago I finished scrubbing off some sick and rotting (they were black) polyps around the perimeter of his exposed skeleton, and I'm wondering if opportunistic pathogen got into his flesh or something.

Thoughts? Should I dip him in hydrogen peroxide? I'm not going to give up on him since he has been steadily (but really slowly) improving.

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote