Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Nick Hope
Registered Member

Mucky Secrets - A video to share about Lembeh Strait marine creatures

The Lembeh Strait, at the heart of the Coral Triangle in North Sulawesi, Indonesia, is truly a remarkable place. Nowhere else offers a "muck diver" the same diversity of weird and wonderful marine creatures.

I have been working on a 90-minute documentary about it, called "Mucky Secrets". It's not quite finished yet, but today I uploaded a short prologue video. So many of the creatures there are truly exotic and have strong personalities, which I have tried to convey. Mantis shrimps and mating mandarinfish play starring roles.

The names of the species can be found in the captions with the CC button under the video. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcgT_eZuN5o

Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2013, 12:54 PM   #2
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Very cool and congrats on the wonderful work.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2013, 05:45 PM   #3
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Nick,

great videography work. id be happy to get footage as good as a single frame shot, yet you captured so many scenes.

obviously you are shooting with an impressive rig. care to share what kind of setup you are using, namely the lighting?

c

Unread 10/10/2013, 06:14 PM   #4
firebirdude
User and Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-balljunkie View Post
Nick,

great videography work. id be happy to get footage as good as a single frame shot, yet you captured so many scenes.

obviously you are shooting with an impressive rig. care to share what kind of setup you are using, namely the lighting?

c
Agreed and seconded on all accounts.

firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2013, 07:21 PM   #5
buildinboats
Premium Member

Absolutely incredible footage, spellbinding!

buildinboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Nick Hope
Registered Member

Thank you!

r-balljunkie, the footage was actually shot in 2007 with a Sony HVR-Z1P HDV camera in a Light & Motion Bluefin HD housing with Light & Motion Elite halogen lights. I had a Century Optics +3.5 diopter screwed to the camera, and a flat port. In camera terms it's an antique now. I spend a lot of time in post-production, fixing the levels in Sony Vegas Pro with color curves, and then deinterlacing and resizing in AviSynth.

Unread 10/11/2013, 05:24 AM   #7
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

thats a hellova rig, even if its "dated" by todays terms. the lighting looks great for halogen. do you think the newer LED's or HID's throw off a nicer white?

do you manually set your white balance on shoots?

im a fan of light and motion. i use the Sola's for multi-purpose lighting, night dives, video, wreck exploring...really good product.

all that post processing jazz, blah blah blah waay over my head. all i know is the end product looks great.

i did some diving in Bali this year, mixed bag for me, some good some bad....but any time in the water is a good time.

Unread 10/11/2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Spectacular! Thanks for sharing!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Nick Hope
Registered Member

Thanks again r-balljunike and thank Sugar.

r-balljunkie I couldn't really say about the newer LED lights as I haven't used them. I know in the early days of LEDs there was talk that the CRI was inferior to halogen, but I suspect things have improved by now. I am thinking of spoiling myself with a pair of Keldan Luna 4V lights for my next rig. My experience with L&M lights has been a bit "patchy".

For wide angle ambient-light shoots I always manually white balance regularly on the palm of my hand, through a blue-water color correction filter. For this macro work I can't really remember what I did. Probably auto-white balance for most of it. I couldn't use the filter at all because the diopter was in the way.

Personally I'm really looking forward to going back to Bali again. I'm fond of Seraya Secrets and Puri Jati on the north coast, and I've heard glowing reports about Secret Bay in the north west, so I'm very keen on going there and lying in muck for a few days, critter-whispering and twiddling my knobs.

Unread 09/02/2014, 01:22 AM   #10
Nick Hope
Registered Member

So after serialising the documentary over 20-weeks, I finally uploaded the whole 90-minute thing in its entirety.

It's packed with marine biological information. I did my utmost to be factually correct, but I always welcome additional information and/or corrections from those who know more than me. I am sure there are many on this forum!

Mucky Secrets - The Marine Creatures of the Lembeh Strait (full)

Unread 09/02/2014, 01:44 AM   #11
pyithar
Registered Member

thanks for sharing! i've been watching your youtube videos ever since i found your "myanmar magic" video on youtube. i was born in mergui(myeik), burma(myanmar) by the way. your video made me wanna go back to my hometown!

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 10:47 AM   #12
scubadan206
Registered Member

I'm subscribed. I've been watching the short pieces for a while. The full length version should be cool. I want to replicate environments like this in my system.
Thanks for sharing

Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 12:01 PM   #13
knight2255
Registered Member

Preview looked great....will watch the doc. tonight!

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 02:14 PM   #14
snorvich
Team RC member

Brings back many memories. Your pygmy seahorse segment was totally out of sight with the gorgonian polyps extended. Wow! I believe your Rhinopias is actually Rhinopias eschmeyeri rather than Rhinopias frondosa. Mandarin mating shots were superb. I have almost 50 hours on that site myself but never tried video. Very difficult shots! Very, very well done!!

Unread 09/02/2014, 02:44 PM   #15
TigeBell
Registered Member

I'm still watching the 90 minute video you last posted Nick. I have been subscribed to your channel for awhile but I can't find 90 straight minutes to watch However, I will get through it and have enjoyed what I have watched so far. Please keep up the work with your video's. I enjoy them.

Red Sea Reefer 350 | Hydra TwentySix HD
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/tigebell/1
TigeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 05:15 PM   #16
billdogg
Registered Member

WOW! Just finished the long version. It has always been on my bucket list of dive destinations. I just moved it up quite a few notches.

Thanks very much for not only taking the countless hours needed to produce it, but also for posting it here for all of us to see.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 11:35 PM   #17
Nick Hope
Registered Member

Thank you everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
...I believe your Rhinopias is actually Rhinopias eschmeyeri rather than Rhinopias frondosa...
There are 2 Rhinopias in the video. Based on all the information I could find, I identified the first one (at 58:04) as Rhinopias eschmeyeri and the 2nd one (at 59:07) as Rhinopias frondosa. Do you think they are both Rhinopias eschmeyeri?

The whole business of distinguishing between those 2 species can drive you nuts. My final comment about them being morphological variations of the same species is based on Teresa Zubi's view, which makes a lot of sense to me.

Unread 09/03/2014, 02:47 AM   #18
duperdave
Registered Member

awesome videos can't wait to see the full version

Sq
duperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 10:52 AM   #19
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hope View Post
Thank you everyone.

There are 2 Rhinopias in the video. Based on all the information I could find, I identified the first one (at 58:04) as Rhinopias eschmeyeri and the 2nd one (at 59:07) as Rhinopias frondosa. Do you think they are both Rhinopias eschmeyeri?

The whole business of distinguishing between those 2 species can drive you nuts. My final comment about them being morphological variations of the same species is based on Teresa Zubi's view, which makes a lot of sense to me.
I spent a few years discussing the subject of which Rhinopias I was photographing at Lembeh. I was eventually convinced that the one I was seeing in Lembeh was Rhinopias eschmeyeri. I also photographed many Rhinopias in Milne Bay Papua New Guinea, the vast majority of which were R. Apanes; there were two in that location that I thought were R. frondosa. I am still not convinced one way or the other. To be convinced I would have to see two side by side that were at the same level of maturity. I seemed to find the ones at Lembeh around 60 feet, usually at Nudi Falls.

Unread 09/03/2014, 11:29 AM   #20
Rybren
Registered Member

Thank you for taking the time and effort to make the video. It is incredible!

Unread 09/03/2014, 03:00 PM   #21
ocram
Registered Member

Watched it today. Very good work!! Incredible pictures and and very informative, too! Thanks

ocram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 03:08 PM   #22
rbla51
Registered Member

love these types of videos. Thank you

rbla51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 08:26 PM   #23
JoelA7
Registered Member

Great

New 48x24x26.25 w Precision Marine R30 sump, Vertex Omega 150 skimmer, 2@Vertex 1.5L reactors for carbon & phosban, GEO Ca reactor w Aquarium Plants regulator. 2 MP40's 2@Radions. #120 live rock & #12
JoelA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 08:42 PM   #24
whiteshark
Registered Member

Amazing video! Great work! Thanks for sharing!

Unread 09/03/2014, 10:29 PM   #25
Nick Hope
Registered Member

Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
I spent a few years discussing the subject of which Rhinopias I was photographing at Lembeh. I was eventually convinced that the one I was seeing in Lembeh was Rhinopias eschmeyeri. I also photographed many Rhinopias in Milne Bay Papua New Guinea, the vast majority of which were R. Apanes; there were two in that location that I thought were R. frondosa. I am still not convinced one way or the other. To be convinced I would have to see two side by side that were at the same level of maturity. I seemed to find the ones at Lembeh around 60 feet, usually at Nudi Falls.
On my trips there from 2006-2007 mine were all at Aer Perang and shallower than 60 feet. Hopefully someone will eventually do some DNA testing and clear up the ID confusion. I understand that is being done with frogfishes, which can be even more confusing.

Tags
lembeh strait, marine life, muck diving, scuba diving, video