Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2018, 03:21 PM   #1
seleeene
Registered Member

clownfish gills sticking out and rests on bottom

Hi All,

Looking to diagnose whatever my black ocellaris clownfish has. I've had the fish for 7 years. Tank parameters are normal. May have had a spike in ammonia last month from new (uncured) dry rock being added (I know, I shouldn't have done it but there was no way around it...). I have not purchased any new fish recently, except for one coral frag a week before I noticed the changes in my clown:

I've noticed recently that the clown has 1) gills that stick out (unlike my other clown or royal gramma that are flesh in profile view). They look red inside from the brief glances I get but do not have any noticeable parasites 2) white discolouration in the tail and a couple white specs on the body that have not changed in the last few days. Does not look like a film or mucous. Does not affect the gill area. 3) The fish does not seem swim evenly anymore, has a tough time swimming in a straight line with the wavemaker on. 4) the fish rests in star polyps in the sandbed during the day (quite frequently) as it does at night when sleeping (both clowns sleep in the polyps at night, but only this clown does this behaviour during the day). The fish continues to show normal female aggressive behaviour towards the male and eats everything.

Discolouration in tail (discolouration on head is normal)

Protruding gills

I would appreciate any help on this matter. I'm not sure whether to worry or not. Confused as to what could be causing this change.

Many thanks!

seleeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 03:22 PM   #2
seleeene
Registered Member

Protruding gills - https://flic.kr/p/23VZZHZ

Discolouration - https://flic.kr/p/FCLK9X

seleeene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish