Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2021, 12:54 PM   #1
Ubiq
Registered Member

ATO/Siphoning Problem

I have a 40 gallon Brute feeding my sump ATO. Problem is, when the ATO turns off, water continues to siphon into my sump (when the water level is higher in the Brute than in the sump). Came home yesterday to find my salinity at 30.4. I've thought of using a solenoid valve powered from the same outlet as the ATO, but have read that they do not fully close absent pressure (when they work at all). I'm sure there's a simple solution but it eludes me. Could use some suggestions. Thanks.

Ubiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Sounds like you need to break the back syphon..what if you punch a small hole close to end of tube?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2021, 01:35 PM   #3
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Here's what I use

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2021, 07:38 AM   #4
Timfish
Registered Member

SIphon break like Daddyrawg said

Unread 10/16/2021, 11:27 AM   #5
Ubiq
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. Turns out my Auto Aqua siphon break was installed a couple of inches too low. Moved it to the highest point in the line and all is well.

Ubiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2021, 04:13 PM   #6
vsiege
Registered Member

Great to hear that you got it. Funny, mine didn't come with one, punched a hole in the line, and made it too low.... took longer than I'd like to admit before I finally caught the issue.

Welcome to RC and see you around!

Unread 10/17/2021, 06:37 PM   #7
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
I have a 40 gallon Brute feeding my sump ATO. Problem is, when the ATO turns off, water continues to siphon into my sump (when the water level is higher in the Brute than in the sump). Came home yesterday to find my salinity at 30.4. I've thought of using a solenoid valve powered from the same outlet as the ATO, but have read that they do not fully close absent pressure (when they work at all). I'm sure there's a simple solution but it eludes me. Could use some suggestions. Thanks.
Another way of dealing with this to use a peristaltic pump, probably what you will do if you stick with the hobby

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefi...c-Dosing-Pumps

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote