Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2021, 10:43 PM   #1
jae.anthony
Registered Member

Gem & Powder Blue Aggression

Anybody with some advice on calming some aggression with my powder blue tang with a newly added gem tang?

Powder blue I’ve had for roughly 2 months and fairly small. I’d say 3 inches at the most.

Wasn’t planning on adding anymore tangs but came across a beautiful gem tang about the same size but a little smaller.

The powder blue was super aggressive right off the bat and nipped a fin of the gem tang within a minute of putting it in the display.

I caught the gem tang and put it in a 2 gallon acclimation box with sand, rocks, inverts etc to keep it from getting stressed.

It’s been about 5 days since the gem has been in the box, the powder blue has not been as aggressive until it’s feeding time.

I caught the powder blue and let out the gem to hopefully alternate them a few days at a time

Has this method been successful for anybody?

I rearranged some rocks but I have a dwarf moray and I’d rather not do too much aquascaping and risk injury to the eel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jae.anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2021, 12:36 AM   #2
Scotch_c
Registered Member

How big is ur tank? What other fish are there?

Scotch_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2021, 05:34 PM   #3
cdejurnett
Registered Member

Sell your powder blue….

cdejurnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2021, 07:01 AM   #4
Timfish
Registered Member

It's going to depend largely on the individual personalities of your fish. Unfortunately, since they are currently young juviniles, even if initially they seem to get along they may change their minds as they mature. You will need to keep a constant watch as they mature (is likely going to take years) and be ready to rehome one if necessary. As infered above the size of the tank is going to be an factor as well, hopefully you have them in at least a 6' long 150 or 200.

Unread 08/01/2021, 05:42 PM   #5
zheka757
Registered Member

i have 1 gem, 3 yellows, 2 purple 1 blue 1 Achilles all adults in 8' long 400 gallon tank. gem tang was the last fish introduced to the tank. about 1.5 years into this group of fish, so far so good.

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2021, 09:38 PM   #6
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

powder blues are notorious for being aggressive tangs. From what i understand, gem tangs are more passive and likely to get beat up. I've never kept either, so that's just based on what I've read over the years. Hopefully it works out, but you may be in a position where you have to decide if you want a powder blue or a gem in your tank.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2021, 10:01 PM   #7
jae.anthony
Registered Member

I actually got it all handled. I had a 2 gallon acclimation box with sand, rocks and inverts that I put the gem tang in for about 5-6 days and as the aggression from the powder blue was a lot better I caught the powder blue and let out the gem tang. I left the powder blue in the acclimation box for about 4-5 days to let the gem get use to the tank. I also got rid of a lot of rock and did some much needed aquascaping to get rid of some Xenia and GSP so that worked out. After letting out the powder blue they did the “tang dance” for about a few minutes and then everything was all good. It’s been about 2 weeks since they have been together and no issues at all.. highly recommend this method if you have the room. It’s a method I use with my wrasses that has always worked for me. I have 3 Anampses & 4 Macropharyngodon Wrasses in my tank and they all get a long.

jae.anthony is offline   Reply With Quote