Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2015, 06:49 PM   #2926
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC120 View Post
I love my light with the ReefBrites on the sides. [/URL]

Looks nice. Can you do a picture in daylight so we can see the lamp better?

Unread 11/13/2015, 07:01 PM   #2927
MikeC120
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
Looks nice. Can you do a picture in daylight so we can see the lamp better?
Sure

"January 2016 Tank of the Month"

Current Tank Info: 140 BB DT ,ATI w/35 settling tank,75 gal DIY sump & 50Gal corner,20 gal sump,15gal settling tank
MikeC120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2015, 07:03 PM   #2928
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure

The tank is beautiful! I meant a picture of the lights alone from side and front. Want to see how the RBs look attached. Also can you share how you attached them?

Unread 11/13/2015, 07:03 PM   #2929
Logzor
Registered Member

How did you attach the ReefBrites? Aren't they longer than your fixture?

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2015, 07:28 PM   #2930
MikeC120
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logzor View Post
How did you attach the ReefBrites? Aren't they longer than your fixture?
ATI unit is 46 inches. The reef Brite is 47 1/4 inches so it does hangover 3/4"
on each side I hung these from the ceiling with the AI Sol hanging kit one on each side.

I have never had someone come over and say nice tank but I don't like the way your lights are hung lol they are to busy looking at the tank
Granted my tank is not in my main living room it is in my fish room so there might be better esthetically pleasing mounts available?

Current Tank Info: 140 BB DT ,ATI w/35 settling tank,75 gal DIY sump & 50Gal corner,20 gal sump,15gal settling tank
Unread 11/13/2015, 07:36 PM   #2931
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Sure
Beautiful Aquarium!

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2015, 08:20 PM   #2932
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
ATI unit is 46 inches. The reef Brite is 47 1/4 inches so it does hangover 3/4"
on each side I hung these from the ceiling with the AI Sol hanging kit one on each side.
Could you not fix the RBs to the side of the ATI? It would look weird hanging off cables in my living room and would result in a rift with the wife. I have seen the RBs screwed with a clamp to the side of the ATI Sunpower unit but that has the screws on the front unlike the Powermodule which has the screws on the side of the unit.

Unread 11/13/2015, 08:37 PM   #2933
MikeC120
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
Could you not fix the RBs to the side of the ATI? It would look weird hanging off cables in my living room and would result in a rift with the wife. I have seen the RBs screwed with a clamp to the side of the ATI Sunpower unit but that has the screws on the front unlike the Powermodule which has the screws on the side of the unit.
I have seen one or two guys make brackets but I can't remember where?
Maybe do a search. I also heard someone say you can call ReefBrite and they will cut the light to size? You would have to call them and check.
Like I said for me and the location of my tank, esthetics was not a consern.

Unread 11/15/2015, 03:44 AM   #2934
ThaBeast
Registered Member

How long is the light to control box cable?

ThaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 06:32 AM   #2935
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
I am curious if anyone here can compare how this fixture grows and colors SPS vs the straight T5 fixture? Maybe someone who has run both on their system? Thanks.
RC member Lunar used both fixtures and went back to the straight T5-non-LED fixture because he felt the LEDs were not helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Only 5 times?
Thanks, glaukos, I'm very happy you like it so much.

I like all ATI lamps a lot. ATI hybrid fixture seemed a good idea for me, nice blicks again, many ways to arranging lights. However, I noticed after some months that not all my corals like leds light. The more delicate acroporas started to loose their vibrant colour.

Krzysztof

I have been running my fixture for just over a month now, and I haven't noticed any trouble from the LEDs. Meanwhile my colors are continuing to improve. ATI fixtures and T5s in general are simply the best technology around for keeping colorful SPS. I LOVE this fixture, but in my mind the LEDs are there for one purpose only. They provide outstanding shimmer and wonderful dawn/dusk effects. I do not think they are necessary for growing beautiful SPS. Clearly Lunar's tank is all the proof one needs.

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..

Last edited by JPMagyar; 11/15/2015 at 07:09 AM.
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 06:59 AM   #2936
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBeast View Post
How long is the light to control box cable?
Light to control box cable is about 90".

Unread 11/15/2015, 07:06 AM   #2937
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
RC member Lunar used both fixtures and went back to the straight T5-non-LED fixture because he felt the LEDs were not helpful.

I have been running my fixture for about two months now, and I haven't noticed any trouble from the LEDs. Meanwhile my colors are continuing to improve. ATI fixtures and T5s in general are simply the best technology around for keeping colorful SPS. I LOVE this fixture, but in my mind the LEDs are there for one purpose only. They provide outstanding shimmer and wonderful dawn/dusk effects. I do not think they are necessary for growing beautiful SPS. Clearly Lunar's tank is all the proof one needs.

Thanks for your comments Joe. I agree with your assessment on the purpose of the LEDs in this fixture. My tank has generally adjusted to the light fixture but I do have a couple of acros that aren't doing so well and I wonder if it is the LEDs. It's really hard to say I guess but I will likely stick with this fixture because of the reasons you state and I'll adapt with corals that do well under this lighting.

BTW, your tank is beautiful!

Thanks.

Unread 11/15/2015, 09:28 AM   #2938
ktompkins82
Registered Member

Sorry if a question like this has already been addressed, I couldn't go through all 118 pages of the thread ... How much space do you need for the hanging apparatus. My tank has a canopy this is 1 foot tall. I'm sure it would be tight but could the unit be suspended in there? I'm looking at the 60" unit for my 72" tank. Thanks for the help.

ktompkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 09:31 AM   #2939
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktompkins82 View Post
Sorry if a question like this has already been addressed, I couldn't go through all 118 pages of the thread ... How much space do you need for the hanging apparatus. My tank has a canopy this is 1 foot tall. I'm sure it would be tight but could the unit be suspended in there? I'm looking at the 60" unit for my 72" tank. Thanks for the help.
Which dimension are you worried about? Do you plan to suspend the light from the ceiling or something else?

Unread 11/15/2015, 10:03 AM   #2940
Logzor
Registered Member

It would be really tight. You want the fixture at least 6 inches above the water. The wire loops on the top of the fixture might have to extend 5 inches but could be hung on hooks inside the canopy.

However ATI does not recommend running this fixture in a canopy due to heat. I think it would overheat the fixture. Is ditching the canopy an option?

Unread 11/15/2015, 04:24 PM   #2941
ktompkins82
Registered Member

Patrick Cox - I was seeing if it would be possible to hang inside the canopy.

Logzor - Thanks for the info. Heat was something I would be concerned about. I've entertained the idea of getting rid of the canopy. My tank is eurobraced. I don't think it would not look bad without a canopy. I guess I'm just a little anxious about hanging something from the ceiling. Haven't had to do that yet in my adventures in the hobby.

ktompkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 06:45 PM   #2942
borg
Registered Member

is it possible to turn off a single tube completely ? or can you only switch of the channel

Current Tank Info: 300g DT 5ft (4ft Sump 150g) , ATI Hybrid 8x54w 2xLED Cluster x2, Vortech MP40W x2& 2x Sicce Voyager 2 x Jaebo rw8 , Aqua Excel Skimmer , Sicce Syncra Pro Return
borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 07:04 PM   #2943
MikeC120
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg View Post
is it possible to turn off a single tube completely ? or can you only switch of the channel
only each channel

Unread 11/15/2015, 08:37 PM   #2944
borg
Registered Member

thanks Mike ... assumed it was the case

Current Tank Info: 300g DT 5ft (4ft Sump 150g) , ATI Hybrid 8x54w 2xLED Cluster x2, Vortech MP40W x2& 2x Sicce Voyager 2 x Jaebo rw8 , Aqua Excel Skimmer , Sicce Syncra Pro Return
Unread 11/15/2015, 08:41 PM   #2945
borg
Registered Member

any issue if i remove bulb ?

Unread 11/15/2015, 10:14 PM   #2946
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg View Post
any issue if i remove bulb ?

No, channel will turn off.

Unread 11/16/2015, 08:45 AM   #2947
Logzor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktompkins82 View Post
Patrick Cox - I was seeing if it would be possible to hang inside the canopy.

Logzor - Thanks for the info. Heat was something I would be concerned about. I've entertained the idea of getting rid of the canopy. My tank is eurobraced. I don't think it would not look bad without a canopy. I guess I'm just a little anxious about hanging something from the ceiling. Haven't had to do that yet in my adventures in the hobby.
Nothing makes me feel more warm and fuzzy inside than hanging a 55 lb light fixture that costs $2,000 over a saltwater aquarium filled with expensive corals and fish!

I think so long as you use big deck screws and drill into studs you're in good shape. The fixture comes with a hanging kit that can link into ceiling drywall as well, but is that really strong enough to hold the fixture?

It's unlikely that the hanging kit will line right up with studs so you almost need to attached a board to the ceiling by screwing into the studs and then attach the hanging kit into the board. This is what I ended up doing.

Unread 11/16/2015, 08:51 AM   #2948
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logzor View Post
Nothing makes me feel more warm and fuzzy inside than hanging a 55 lb light fixture that costs $2,000 over a saltwater aquarium filled with expensive corals and fish!

I think so long as you use big deck screws and drill into studs you're in good shape. The fixture comes with a hanging kit that can link into ceiling drywall as well, but is that really strong enough to hold the fixture?

It's unlikely that the hanging kit will line right up with studs so you almost need to attached a board to the ceiling by screwing into the studs and then attach the hanging kit into the board. This is what I ended up doing.

FYI I have mine hanging since Feb from ceiling using toggle bolts. Have no problems with it and bolts are rated to hold 100 lbs. I know some will disagree but if ceiling is installed right toggle bolts work fine. Also my studs were not aligned with tank so that was a problem. I could have added a block of wood but that would mess the aesthetics of the room. In the end I have had no issues with this lamp hanging from the ceiling. Before this I had a PacSun lamp hanging the same way for 3 years.

Unread 11/23/2015, 03:42 PM   #2949
Ginu
Registered Member

I hang the fixture from a 80/20 aluminum bar which has been anchored in the ceiling studs.

I really love the idea of being able to move the light left right besides just up down from from the hanging kit

Last edited by Ginu; 11/23/2015 at 04:11 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 11:09 PM   #2950
Ginu
Registered Member

Forgot to mention, the above is a 36" 8 bulb PM on a 4' tank and with the 80/20 aluminum bar, I can move the entire fixture to the right or left 15" so if I'd want to aclimate new coral I can easily move the fixture the other way 15"

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote