Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Dwayne Sapp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2003, 09:51 AM   #51
Dwayne
Protector of Diver Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by darrellh
The Geosapper looks like a great idea. Thanks for sharing your ingenuity with the masses. I had a question about the phytoplankton. Does the phyto have to be live, or can it be the frozen concetrate form like Brine Shrimps Direct's Tahitian Blend?
Thanks.

The phyto can be any type that works. Not meaning that in a 'smart' way, but all is good as long as the zooplankton is mulitplying.

FWIW

Dwayne

Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2003, 04:06 PM   #52
RogueCorps
Registered Member

Hey Dwayne,

I use Carlson type surges on my nano tanks and you and George's Geosapper is quite a cool application of them.

I realize the drip and surge rates will vary on the application, but could you describe the rates of drip and surge on your system and approximately how long that volume of phytoplankton lasts before refilling?

Also when stage 2 surges, is it usual that stage 3 will fire directly after it or does it take a number of surges from stage 2 to make stage 3 surge?

I guess live phytoplankton is the way to go since it's already at room temperature. Instant algae and Tahitian Blend need to be kept refrigerated. As long as the phyto could be kept in good shape I could see enlarging stage 1 for longer running periods, and maybe for Tahitian Blend a small IceProbe chiller could be added as well.

Truly a very cool design and excellent fabrication from your buddy George. Great job!

-Rogue

RogueCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2003, 08:50 PM   #53
Dwayne
Protector of Diver Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by RogueCorps
I realize the drip and surge rates will vary on the application, but could you describe the rates of drip and surge on your system and approximately how long that volume of phytoplankton lasts before refilling?
I have adjusted it to last for roughly a 24hr period.

Quote:
Also when stage 2 surges, is it usual that stage 3 will fire directly after it or does it take a number of surges from stage 2 to make stage 3 surge?
The unit I have is set up so Stage 3 goes right after Stage 2. It would be possible to change the set up to require mulitple Stage 2 surges prior to Stage 3 surging. This is done by adjusting the 'length' of the the bend in the surge tube. Making Stage 3 larger than Stage 2 will require more Stage 2 surges prior to Stage 3 surging.

Thanks

Dwayne

Unread 05/18/2004, 01:50 PM   #54
nameless
Registered Member

This may be the dumbest question ever, but I'm new to DIY, so I'm going to ask anyway.

With the surge tube having a downward bend like that, how does the siphon get 'reestablished' after it breaks at the end of a surge?

Also, what percentage of each holding area do you 'surge' out? In the plans, it looks like about half, but I wasn't sure if that was just for plan purposes....

No one has posted on this thread in a long time. Are people that used this still using it? Is it working?

nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2004, 02:01 PM   #55
Dwayne
Protector of Diver Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by nameless
With the surge tube having a downward bend like that, how does the siphon get 'reestablished' after it breaks at the end of a surge?
The surge will restart once the water level rises above the bend.

Quote:
Also, what percentage of each holding area do you 'surge' out? In the plans, it looks like about half, but I wasn't sure if that was just for plan purposes....
The length of the bend determines the amount that is surged out. In particular the length of the downward pointing piece. The water has to drop below that to break the siphon. This is one way of determining the amount that is actually surged.

Quote:
No one has posted on this thread in a long time. Are people that used this still using it? Is it working?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I am. Yes, it works wonderful.

Dwayne

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Sir Winston Churchill

Current Tank Info: 125
Unread 05/24/2004, 11:13 PM   #56
Submarine_Street
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello, I have just saw your Geosapper today on Reefkeeping Online and I was extremely amazed by your idea. Earlier you said in the third chamber the brine shimps have to be always refilled. I was wondering would there be another type of culture that can substitue the brine shimp in the third chamber but doesn't have to be refilled and would constantly reproduce like the copepods?

Submarine_Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2004, 08:43 AM   #57
nameless
Registered Member

maybe mysis?

nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2004, 10:58 AM   #58
Submarine_Street

Talking

I guess that could work, to tell you the truth I'm just a big lazy noob when it comes to cuture, that's why Dwayne's invention got my attention since it saves of time and work. Thanks for the advice.

Unread 05/26/2004, 06:16 PM   #59
Dwayne
Protector of Diver Dan

Mysis might not reproduce fast enough. Whatever is used in the second and third chambers will need to reproduce quickly.

Let us know if you try something different and your results.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Sir Winston Churchill

Unread 06/02/2004, 02:54 PM   #60
Submarine_Street

Oh darn, if I find something that can keep on reproduce I'll let you know.

Unread 06/24/2004, 07:08 AM   #61
Sparky0028
Registered Member

Great idea but I have a quick question, how often do you have to refill the second and third section.
Rich

Sparky0028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2004, 10:09 AM   #62
Dwayne
Protector of Diver Dan

Refilling any of the chambers will be dependent on the size of the Geosapper and the frequency of the surges. It is possible to have the second chamber, when used as described for rotifers, maintain a sufficient level by itself. This means you only have to add baby brine to the 3rd section and phyto to the first.

Dwayne

Sir Winston Churchill

Unread 07/10/2004, 08:56 PM   #63
jonny1972
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Don't mean to but in but I am any way...lol. The company I work for can order this tubing through a plastics dealer. I'm going to build it and scrap the Coke bottles. Thanks for the idea Dwayne
Also about how much did it cost to build if you don't mind me asking?

Leonardo da Vinci

Current Tank Info: 12 gal. nano, PC lighting, LR, LPS, SPS, soft corals
jonny1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2019, 11:22 AM   #64
norfolkgarden
Registered Member

Ah, the wonders of internet search. In 2019 I run across this thread.

It looked like a fantastic product.

Geos reef is still up and running and looks like it serves up some amazing and beautifully detailed items.

The idea of mixing phyto and pods and baby brine shrimp and semi auto feeding it on a random schedule sounds fantastic.

The geosapper is not listed in their catalog. Searching their site under geosapper or surge feeder produces no results.

Was it price to buy, ease of use, further refinements under a new name?

Is anyone still using this product or a similar one?

Thank you
Matt

norfolkgarden is offline   Reply With Quote