Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Anyparxia
Registered Member

Question 400g Build Advice

Hello, I'm planning on making a fish tank 240x90x70cm LxWxH. The glass thickness is 1/2". It's gonna be top and bottom euro braced the width is 4" and made of 1/2" glass along with 4 cross braces at 7" width also 1/2" glass. The drains are 3x 2-inch drains and will be a bean animal overflow. The returns are 1x 1 1/2" and 1x 1 1/4" which will allow at least 5x turnover rate. The weir combs are 4mm width and 1.5" height. Overflow box dimensions are 17x5x5" Rated for 6600 Gph based on my calculations. My questions are:
1. Is the height too tall for this thickness of the glass?
2. Is the weir and overflow box flow rate correct?
3. Is the plumbing good?
All advice and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Anyparxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2021, 08:29 AM   #2
Cougarman
Premium Member

My 400gallon is 30 inch tall and 6 feet long and my glass is 20mm thick. At that thickness I don't notice any bowing. 1/2 inch might be too thin for 28 inch (70cm) height. I think 3 x 2 inch drains is perfect and you have leeway to adjust the turnover if you want. Just my opinion. Sounds like it's going to be an awesome tank.

Cougarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Anyparxia
Registered Member

I am still debating the thickness of the glass. I plan on getting the glass in a few weeks, any help would be great.

Unread 10/27/2021, 05:53 AM   #4
Cougarman
Premium Member

Error on the thicker side. Otherwise the glass can bow and eventually burst at the seams. The most pressure is at the bottom, middle of the long side.

Cougarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2021, 09:39 PM   #5
Anyparxia
Registered Member

Going thicker would double the price of the glass and is not readily available in my area. The most pressure being at the bottom, middle of the long side I don't understand what you mean by that. Also thank you for helping me out

Unread 10/27/2021, 10:24 PM   #6
Anyparxia
Registered Member

Also if I did a double base with 12mm or a single 15mm base would it be better? I forgot to mention I plan on doing a floating base along with a top and bottom euro brace along with 4 6" crossbraces on top. The water level will be around roughly 26 inches. Ive read somewhere that if the end panels are more than 3'x2' it would not work is that true.