Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2018, 08:33 AM   #1
kaxt
Registered Member

Live Aquaria delayed delivery

My order of fish shipped out yesterday and was supposed to be delivered today, but I just got an email saying the delivery is delayed due to severe weather. Has anyone ever had their fish shipment delayed and had the fish still alive when they finally arrived. I'm not going to be able to think of anything other than those poor fish just sitting in a box waiting for death today.

kaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:43 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

I went through this about a month ago with live aquaria. Fish had to spend an extra night in Louisville, I think.

I ordered:
2 orchid dottybacks
1 melanurus wrasse
1 damsel

The damsel and one dottyback were DOA. The other dottyback looked perfectly fine, and the wrasse looked a little rough. Both fish are now very healthy and in my display. Live aquaria put the money for the DOAs back on my debit card.

Keep in mind to NOT drip acclimate. The ammonia burn would be severe. Float for temp acclimation and match tank temp to their salinity. Then get them out of the bags quickly.

Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:54 AM   #3
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

unfortunately shipping delays happen all the time, depending one what you are receiving can changes the chances of survival, as we all know some fish are definitely hardier than others. as well as how cold it is in the areas the fish are being held. I live in maine and it's not uncommon for delays or extreme cold I tend to watch the weather nation wide to see what's happening or predicted before ordering.

best bet is to obviously turn off all lights (tank and room to make is as dark as possible) float for temperature, (contact live aquaria for the shipping specific gravity and have your QT prepped at the same level) so once temperature is reached you can open the bags and remove from the bag water immediately.

also if your tanks salinity is slightly lower than shipping water is safer than slightly higher, it's harder for a fish to adjust osmoregulation upwards than downwards.

Unread 01/16/2018, 09:37 AM   #4
Ritten
Registered Member

I had a delayed shipment years ago and the fish were fine. Let us know how it goes. Its always so exciting to have livestock coming, and now your dreading opening the box afraid of what you will find. That sucks. Hope it goes well for you!

Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Hydrus
Registered Member

Liveaquaria has always been very good to me and replaced any DoA's. Its horrible for the fish for sure but if they do die you should have no problem getting reimbursed.

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 10:11 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have had fish deliveries delayed by a day on a few occasions. Though the results were not positive on one of those occasions, in all other cases the fish arrive safe and sound.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 10:41 AM   #7
cincyjim
Registered Member

I had a Barnacle Blenny get stuck in the Charlottesville UPS warehouse over a weekend and I was so surprised he was alive that Monday when they delivered him.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 11:53 AM   #8
undbulsu
Registered Member

I’ve got 3 expensive corals delayed overnight

Any ideas on special treatment once they arrive?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450, Geisemann aurora, Vertex 150
undbulsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 11:54 AM   #9
mako61
Registered Member

I had 3 anthias delayed 24 hours they all lived. I agree with nereefpat . I did NOT do the drip method. I CAREFULLY matched temp and salinity BEFORE opening bag and then quickly moved fish into new water once open. ( using none of the shipment water )

I did alot of reading in the 24 hours I waited and decided on the match parms exactly and quick move method. I think this esp important on delayed shipments.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 12:31 PM   #10
kaxt
Registered Member

The worst part is that I paid for Saturday delivery and they didn't ship then due to bad weather near them. When they weren't able to ship on Friday I had asked them to cancel the order and was surprised last night when I got the shipping confirmation. We are supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow so I'm really hoping it isn't delayed another day.

I have a tomini tang, a mccoskers wrasse, a goby, and a skunk cleaner shrimp coming. I plan on just temp acclimating for any fish that survive, but what about the shrimp? I know inverts are very sensitive to salinity changes. Does anyone know what the specify gravity of the water will be in the shipping bags? If I can find out that information I will definitely have a tank waiting for them that matches.

Unread 01/16/2018, 01:02 PM   #11
mako61
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/article/282/?aid=282

They have SG there.

Mine was 1.025. I took a sample of water from the bag using a syringe. I only needed a few drops for my refractometer.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 02:30 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

Make sure you use this method of acclimation. DO NOT do drip as ammonia will be quite high.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959576

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 07:43 PM   #13
2_zoa
Registered Member

Unfortunately I have recently been on the delayed delivery list. My first ever liveaquaria order was close to Christmas. I wasn’t even thinking about it being the holidays. I just wanted fish......
Both packages got hit with a cold front and had to deal with colder temps then liveaquaria prepared for.
Two packages for the order and both got delayed with one of them shipping a day behind the other from the beginning. The fish were NOT happy but the clowns and a powder brown tang made it through. The tang was upside down and very non responsive. Though, it was breathing. So it got acclimated and I’m very happy I didn’t give up on it.
They went through TTM now and are in QT putting on weight very nicely.

Now, the anemone I ordered at the same time..........no go. That bag smelled and the nem was inside out. Very DOA.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:22 PM   #14
elFloyd
Registered Member

I have a box of inverts stuck in Louisville right now. It’s a replacement for delayed DOA just before Christmas.

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 10:26 AM   #15
kaxt
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. The fish are supposed to arrive within the next 30 minutes.

My plan is to make a small pinhole in each bag just so I can check salinity. Then float the bags to match temp. While they are floating I'll match the salinity in the QT tank to the bags. I'll just put the fish right in the tank as soon as I open the bags. Hopefully the bags all have the same salinity, the Live Aquaria website linked above gave a pretty wide range of what it could be. If not, I guess I'll aim for the salinity in the shrimp bag.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Unread 01/17/2018, 10:59 AM   #16
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Did the fish ship out of california? If so,probably out a quality marine and my last shipment from them, my salinity was 1.021. Good luck.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 01:22 PM   #17
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxt View Post
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. The fish are supposed to arrive within the next 30 minutes.

My plan is to make a small pinhole in each bag just so I can check salinity. Then float the bags to match temp. While they are floating I'll match the salinity in the QT tank to the bags. I'll just put the fish right in the tank as soon as I open the bags. Hopefully the bags all have the same salinity, the Live Aquaria website linked above gave a pretty wide range of what it could be. If not, I guess I'll aim for the salinity in the shrimp bag.

I'll keep everyone posted.
put tape over the pinhole after you take the sample, it only takes a little air to start moving the PH (causing the ammonia conversion).

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 01:24 PM   #18
kaxt
Registered Member

Everything is alive!!! The goby doesn't look so good, but it's still alive. Hopefully with clean, warm water it can recover.

The order did ship out of California. The fish were in 1.023 water and the shrimp was in 1.025. I matched the qt tank for the fish and I matched a small container for the shrimp. I put the shrimp in the clean matched water and I'm now drip acclimating to match my display. I don't plan to quarantine the shrimp.

Unread 01/17/2018, 01:52 PM   #19
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Great to hear. Hopefully they'll keep thriving.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 01:59 PM   #20
hkgar
Registered Member

I believe you can safely put the shrimp in 1.023, It is easier going down.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 02:06 PM   #21
HBtank
Premium Member

Good news!

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 02:47 PM   #22
Ritten
Registered Member

that's great!

Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 07:57 AM   #23
twistedfinn967
Registered Member

I just had an order ship Monday for delivery Tuesday. Saw the dreaded "delayed due to weather". My fish were all sitting in Louisville, KY - I'm in northeast Ohio. They were delivered at 0945 Wednesday, cold as ice. LA was very apologetic and refunded me no problem. I had no idea the weather was that bad.
I'm gonna try again next week when I have a couple days off again.

twistedfinn967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 08:02 AM   #24
Arcar
Registered Member

If you add a fish to DT how can you match the salinity? or is that only in QT tanks?

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 08:07 AM   #25
twistedfinn967
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcar View Post
If you add a fish to DT how can you match the salinity? or is that only in QT tanks?
You have to acclimate. There are several methods, most common being the "drip method".
I use a device called "The AccliMate by Reef Gently.

twistedfinn967 is offline   Reply With Quote