Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2012, 03:38 PM   #1
LongbowPilot
Registered Member

Unhappy Bicolor Angel Problem

First post here, probably should have been posting much sooner then this but oh well..

My 70 gallon tank has been going for 3 months now. I let it cycle with 80 pounds of live rock for 2 months before introducing inhabitants. I have had a brain coral in the tank for about a month and at first she was shrunk in and took about 2 weeks to acclimate to the tank.

Finally fed her some Krill and she took off and started being normal again. Fluffy, Fat and Colorful.

This morning I awoke and found my BTA on the move again and it had waltzed close enough to the Brain Coral for them to touch. Well the Brain Coral is now all shrunk up and bleaching. Later on in the day I noticed my Bicolor Angel picking on the Brain.

The brain is shrunk in, Bleaching around the sides and is taking on this brownish color along its surface. I noticed a depression forming on her inner area. It also is showing signs of abuse from the bi color angel. I took a plastic ziploc container and drilled some holes in it and placed it over the Brain.

Tank Param.

NH3/NH4 = .25ppm or less
NO2 = 0ppm
NO3 = 0ppm
PH = 7.8-7.9
Temp 77
Salinity = 1.024-1.025

Inhabitants.

Blue Coral Dwarf
3 Blue Damsels
Cardinal
2 False Clowns
2 Brain Corals (one is mentioned here the other is fantastic fine)
2 Urchins
Star Polyps
2 Skunk Cleaners
Fire Shrimp
Hermits
Feather Dusters

The only radical change this weekend was I used Chemi-Clean to get rid of a rather nasty CyanoBact infec. It worked great and the water change is tonight to finish off the first dose.

I noticed my PH went from 8.1 to a 7.9 this morning... (Dead Cyano?)

I guess I do not know what else to do except to cry at this point. Anyone have any other ways to maybe help my poor brain.

Yes, the Bi color is going back to the LFS on Tuesday.

Sorry for the massive thread.. Thanks all

-Chris

LongbowPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2012, 06:09 PM   #2
NYCBOB
Registered Member

bicolor angel is not reef safe. it is known to pick on brain corals or clams. using chemical to get rid of cyano is a bad idea. ur tank is fairly new and cyano is part of the maturing process.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Sheol
Registered Member

Two issues here:

Centropyge bicolor is a notorious dwarf angel for picking at corals, especially fleshy LPS corals!

Your coral was stung & damaged by the BTA. Dwarf angels will pick at/consume dead/dying/diseased coral tissue. The Bicolor is following its instincts

One or the other must be removed, ASAP.
Just depends on what you want more, fish or coral? If you keep the Angel be sure to include more toxic or platable soft corals. Forget brain corals of any type, they are Crack cocaine for Centropyge Sp. angels! Seriously, they cannot get enough.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2012, 09:22 PM   #4
LongbowPilot
Registered Member

NYC and Matt,

Thanks for the insite... Rather keep the coral then the angel. That is why I am getting rid of the booger.

How long do you think it will take for the Brain to get better?

Unread 01/22/2012, 09:49 PM   #5
sleeri
Registered Member

That stinks. Such a great looking fish. I've wanted one for quite a while, but always held off due to my corals. I've heard of people having success, but there are always stories like yours.

sleeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2012, 10:26 PM   #6
LongbowPilot
Registered Member

Sleeri. It is a bummer.. I should have done better research. Go figure the Angel would turn on me when my LFS is closed!!

Unread 01/23/2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Sheol
Registered Member

Also, these are not the easiest dwarf angels to acclimate to captive life. In fact, mortality rates are pretty high. It could be collection practices, maybe. I do know my first died after 3.5 weeks of doing great. Just DIED.
Anyway, if you are an LPS lover, its got to go. Can you put in in a Sump?

Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2012, 10:53 AM   #8
LongbowPilot
Registered Member

UPDATE: I got that booger out of the tank and now all my BRAINS are doing excellent, Fat, Fluffy, and happy.

Tags
bicolor angel, brain coral, bta anemone