Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2011, 11:36 AM   #1
allhandsworking
Registered Member

Wow Big changes in the hobby

Hello My first fish tank in the late 70s had a chrome metal frame! Angels tetras were my first, Then went to brown discus that were timid and challenging! Later i had salt water fish! 55 gallon with under gravel filter plus a skilter skimmer. I had butterfly fish, lion fish, a blue spotted grouper. Had all the fish for years using only tape water with very few water changes! I see that this is a big no no now!
I would love to get back on the horse and try a reef tank! Im in NYC does any one do this without RO water! Also im looking to do something in the 30 to 75 gallon range. Any recommendations on a setup! Could you list good products and there cost? Im trying to get the best bang for the buck! I don't want to wast money and time! Those Red Sea Max tanks look interesting! Or would it be better to do my own build! Looks like a great forum and hobby! Thanks Allhandsworking.

allhandsworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 12:16 PM   #2
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

Wow, if you had a skimmer back then you were on the cutting edge no?

A lot has changed. The deal with RODI has less to do with change in water quality over the years and more to do with the fact that they are so cheap now. It's like a dirt cheap insurance policy on your water quality. There's a big thread going right now on the tap water debate.

Some of these changes are not comparable to what you were using before due to the kinds of livestock we are keeping now. Back then there was no such thing as an SPS dominated tank like you see now. That was just un-doable for most people, even the experts. But over the years, they've figured it out and now just about anyone can keep SPS with the right equipment and a little study.

Another huge change is lighting. LED's are all the rage thee days. Super low power consumption, low heat, and they last for years and years before you change bulbs. Check out the DIY forum, almost half of the threads are on that one single topic. I'm looking to go LED really soon, and if I was starting a new tank I would definitely go that way right off the bat. The cost has come down to a point that it is comparable to other lighting systems, and when you factor in power savings, longevity, and not needing a chiller, the decision becomes almost a no brainer.

The hobby has also IME become more eco-friendly. It seems like there is more emphasis on small tank raised frags that you grow out yourself over time as opposed to snatching big show pieces directly from the ocean. I mean it still happens. A lot. But the hobby seems to be shifting in a better direction these days.

With the things that have been learned about keeping water, things like undergravel filters have gone obsolete. Most of us run no filtration other than live rock and lots of flow in the tank, along with a good skimmer.

We've figured out how to handle the nitrate issue and complete the nitrogen cycle in our tanks, and one of the secrets to that is the filtration methods. Bio-wheels, undergravel, and big canisters just can't pull that off, so most of us have moved away from them so we can enjoy the benefits of a completed nitrogen cycle. To the extent that nitrate has become a non issue for many of us and our systems are now nitrogen limited. This has lead to phosphate being the big ugly in the water. The current movement is to find ways to keep phosphate at very low levels. This has proven to be a huge advance in making SPS keeping possible.

To me, it's more fun now. And that's why I got back into it. There are more options, more knowledge, and better equipment. But you're right. A LOT has changed.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 12:46 PM   #3
plasmacon
Registered Member

Getting a list of products and there price is going to be difficult. Just do what the rest of us do... Read. Find out about the tank you want, protein skimmer, lights, return pump, etc, etc, etc. Then, see what the reviews are for individual components. Find out if reef octopus is a good skimmer, maybe everyone likes coralife... Can you use power compacts for SPS?

My point is, you need to figure out what types of corals you want to care for and build accordingly. Make a list, and price it all out. My list won't be the same as the next person who posts, etc. The more you plan, the happier you will be.

Current Tank Info: 135 gallon Reef
plasmacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 01:24 PM   #4
snorvich
Team RC member

It is difficult to give advice if for no other reason, than things are changing so fast. disc1 wrote an excellent post. First thing is you have to decide WHAT you want to keep. Decisions about HOW to keep that will follow.

Unread 08/03/2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Nationally, water is getting much iffier---it's why so many people aren't drinking tap water, either. Lighting is a big area of change, and since it determines what sort of specimens you can keep, that's a place to start studying. Skimmers keep water cleaner, enabling us to keep more fragile specimens. Live rock and sandbeds sub for filters, even for particulates, and don't require cleaning under most circumstances. Tank size is another issue related to what you want to keep.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 03:09 PM   #6
allhandsworking
Registered Member

Wow great info. Also YOUTUBE is such an educational tool that I have learned so mush in the week or two I have been educating myself! Im not so intimidated by ro/di units after watching some youtube vids. I just saw one on the BWIPLUMBNG 4 stage. Like I said Im in NYC any one know if I need anything specific like a cloramin stage or anything other that the 4 stage unit? Do you folks have a favorite brand. The BWI was about $150 for the 4 stage. Im a little confused about deep sand beds? Wouldn't this create a dead spot? Also there are so many abbreviations its got my head spinning! LSP,SPS,LFS too funny! Soft coral is ( ) Hard Coral is ( )? Thanks for the help!

Unread 08/03/2011, 03:21 PM   #7
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1672798

That might help a little.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Danny Mac
Registered Member

Bulk reef supply makes an awesome unit for right around 200 bucks...

Danny Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 07:32 PM   #9
allhandsworking
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc1 View Post
thanks I new there had to be a key!

Unread 08/03/2011, 08:48 PM   #10
saltysailor2329
Registered Member

Welcome back to the lifestyle! I second what everyone else says here about the changes and decisions you need to make before getting specific questions answered. I wanted to pipe up about the RSM since I have and RSM 130D. I liked the AIO idea but immediately wanted to build my own system. So I wound up buying a 65 gallon corner tank and buying each of the pieces separately. I wound up getting twice the tank for the same cost. Just my $.02

Running 40g breeder w/20L sump is currently acting as the QT.
saltysailor2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 09:18 PM   #11
tnias
Registered Member

The Elos tanks are very nice.

tnias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 10:24 PM   #12
neoalchemist74
Registered Member

Yeah, first figure out what you want to keep then figure out what your space constraints are then go from there.

Current Tank Info: in progress
neoalchemist74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Raggamuffin
Registered Member

I agree with everybody above, kind of redundent but first decide WHAT you want to have then go 1 step further because sooner or later you will want to upgrade and it is best to buy things 1 time and save a ton of cash.

lighting example:

I want fish and NOTHING else: plain old floresent lights will work.

Fish and soft corals: compact floresents here

Fish, soft corals, LPS (large polyp stoney) corals: Compact floresents will work but not well, should look into T5's

Anything and everything: T5's and metal halides duking it out side by side with LED's pulling away from the pack.

Anything and everything PLUS I may decide at 2am for no reason I want it to look like there is a thunder storm in my fish tank! : LED's and yes they really do make controlers that do this

After that choice you look at heating and cooling, then skimmer, and on down the line.

Raggamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags