Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Jrambo88
Registered Member

How do you clean your AIO

So I e had my 28 gal setup for about 6-7 months now. It was my first time taking out all the equipment in the back and siphoning out the detritus in the back. Man was that a headache. How do you clean and how often the back chambers?

Jrambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 07:16 AM   #2
smtank
Registered Member

I siphon out the back chambers on my JBJ 20 RL every other water change. Front every two weeks, back chamber every two weeks.

The 28 is much harder to clean then the RL. It's really surprising how much crap accumulates back there.

smtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 07:21 AM   #3
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I siphon for my water changes directly from the bottom of the back last 2 chambers, so I have to move my pump, 2xtemp and ph probes, and heater from the third chamber. Right now my second chamber is empty.

I only siphon from back there, as it holds just over 5 gallons (probably closer to 6 gallons), is relatively easy to access, allows me to siphon without disturbing any corals or fishes, and conveniently collects detritus back there.

I should alternate between vacuuming the sandbed and siphoning from back there, but honestly my sandbed is largely covered by corals, so it's tough to siphon from the sand bed.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 12:20 PM   #4
soulpatch
Registered Member

I do the back chambers about once every other month. I have quite a bit in my back chambers so it is a pain to get to. The first chamber however I try to do every water change as it is a bit easier to navigate around the heater...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 01:47 PM   #5
XtremeFromHell
Registered Member

I havnt cleaned the back of mine in forever.. But i sure have been wanting to clean it. I think next water change im going to get back there and blow up the detritus with the return pumps

XtremeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 05:55 PM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

I siphon from the back chambers every water change(once a week). Its roughly 5 gallons, and the perfect amount to change without disturbing anything in the display. Also I pull my skimmer from the first chamber and get the detritus, its where it accumulates the most.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 05:00 AM   #7
hig789
Registered Member

Guess I am lucky. Mine was a custom made acrylic that I bought used. The whole back chamber is wide open minus my heater and some live rock rubble. Easy to siphon out and clean the detritus out. On the acrylic I use a magic eraser.

hig789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 07:00 AM   #8
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig789 View Post
Guess I am lucky. Mine was a custom made acrylic that I bought used. The whole back chamber is wide open minus my heater and some live rock rubble. Easy to siphon out and clean the detritus out. On the acrylic I use a magic eraser.
Our chambers were wide open till we added equipment to do other things like pumps for reactors and such...

Unread 06/19/2015, 08:34 AM   #9
hig789
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Our chambers were wide open till we added equipment to do other things like pumps for reactors and such...

Very true. I was referring to the bio cubes and such that have built in dividers.

Unread 06/19/2015, 08:55 AM   #10
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig789 View Post
Very true. I was referring to the bio cubes and such that have built in dividers.
I have a biocube and the divider would not hinder sucking anything out. Every sump should have a baffle of some sort to process flowing water in the appropriate manner...

Unread 06/19/2015, 08:57 AM   #11
hig789
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a biocube and the divider would not hinder sucking anything out. Every sump should have a baffle of some sort to process flowing water in the appropriate manner...

Okay. Not bashing biocubes or any of the other AIO, just saying I like mine the way it is.

Unread 06/19/2015, 08:59 AM   #12
soulpatch
Registered Member

you have no baffles in your sump? It just flows into a basin and is pumped back out?

Unread 06/19/2015, 09:01 AM   #13
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yea, I've seen pictures of some of the original all-in-one systems that were like that. Some of the old(er) reefing books from before the mid 2000s (when biocubes started coming out) just had one large partition in the back to hide equipment.

I'm not sure if they even sell tanks like that.

My favorite though is how some people have set up their tanks with an extra long tank, and they set a side partition for a refugium and sump, so it's all one long horizontal tank, with horizontal partitions so that you can see/display your refugium, and have sump equipment behind it.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 09:08 AM   #14
hig789
Registered Member

How do you clean your AIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Yea, I've seen pictures of some of the original all-in-one systems that were like that. Some of the old(er) reefing books from before the mid 2000s (when biocubes started coming out) just had one large partition in the back to hide equipment.

Yes this is how mine is, no idea how old it is either. I bought it used and scratched up. Going to put some cheato in there sandwiches in some egg crate. It's going to get a whole lot harder to clean though. Adding a ATO and a Tunze 9001.

Last edited by hig789; 06/19/2015 at 09:18 AM.
Unread 06/19/2015, 09:10 AM   #15
hig789
Registered Member

Quote:
you have no baffles in your sump? It just flows into a basin and is pumped back out?

For right now yes. Goes through some floss under the overflow and some live rock rubble piled in there the back to the display. Not much different than just running live rock and sand as a biological filter

Unread 06/20/2015, 02:36 PM   #16
JakeK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
I siphon for my water changes directly from the bottom of the back last 2 chambers, so I have to move my pump, 2xtemp and ph probes, and heater from the third chamber. Right now my second chamber is empty.

I only siphon from back there, as it holds just over 5 gallons (probably closer to 6 gallons), is relatively easy to access, allows me to siphon without disturbing any corals or fishes, and conveniently collects detritus back there.

I should alternate between vacuuming the sandbed and siphoning from back there, but honestly my sandbed is largely covered by corals, so it's tough to siphon from the sand bed.
ReefWreak, thanks for this advice. I was doing water changes from the DT and I know that it has to stress the fish out. Good to know that chambers 2 and 3 hold just about the right amount for a water change.

JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2015, 03:21 AM   #17
terrypercula
Registered Member

I have an old utility pump and some clear tubing. Makes things a lot easier. For the back compartments, I clean them throughly about once a month or every other month. It's definitely worth doing though. Detritus sitting in the back compartments will lead to high N03 and P04, which will inevitably lead to algae blooms. I couldn't imagine what mine would look like after 6 months

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote