Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2014, 11:24 AM   #76
saltman123
Registered Member

Update
Tank is coming along nicely. Slowly but steadily looking a little better with each day that passes.

I added a new Chemi-Pure Elite to the tank, rinsed out all the live rock rubble and put it back in, and change the filter floss every few days. I'm doing weekly water changes and will probably stick to that, or shorten the time in-between for a few in a row if I can find the time.

Sandbed
I still need to suck up some detritus off the sand in some areas where I missed last time. I'm considering cleaning the sand with a gravel siphone cleaner, but I don't like the idea of killing off all the worms and live that are in there now. The Nassarius snails are definitely stirring things up so at least they are doing some work down below. Over at Nano-Reef most people suggest siphoning and cleaning the sand with a gravel cleaner or turkey baster. I've done it a little bit but am still hesitant.

Clean Up Crew
I added an order from ReefCleaners and have a ton of snails all in the tank. Seems like they are doing a good job in certain areas, and not touching others. Guess i'll just have to give it time and keep up on the water changes and then assess form there. A tiny hermit came along with the order so he is in there buzzing around as well.

How are things looking?

MUCH BETTER ALREADY! Right now the rocks are looking better and better, but the back wall is starting to grow some green hair algae again. I expect to be dealing with some algae for quite a while.

LED Lighting
I've been researching high and low, and am trying to decide what I want to do. Keep the hood and retro fit? Remove the hood and use the glass cover I have instead with a pendant of some sort? I was all for Retro fitting the hood, but i'm starting to lean back towards going topless and using a pendant light of some sort, or an LED fixture that I can then later use elsewhere and not be married to this tank/hood. Decisions decisions....too many!

Overall things are moving in the right direction.

Current Tank Info: 12 Gallon Aquapod
saltman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2014, 12:17 AM   #77
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

Looks awesome! You're well on you way to have a successful tank again!

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 12:00 PM   #78
saltman123
Registered Member

Update
Goodbye Aquapod 6-22-15

After 8 years and 8 months (3000+ days to really put it into perspective), I have sold this tank to another forum member. This was my very first salt water tank, and will definitely NOT be my last. Life has gotten hectic the last few years so I haven't been able to keep up with the tank the way it deserved to be kept. Looking back at this diary I can remember the very first days, and being so clueless to the hobby and what needed to be done to keep a healthy tank. This tank had forced me to learn so much, and made some great friends in the hobby along the way. Thanks to everyone who's ever commented or helped answer a question.

Good luck to MIKE with the next chapter of this great 12 gallon Aquapod.

Would I have a nano tank again?
A word to anyone considering starting up a Nano tank. Nano's are not too hard, some will say there is so little water volume that things turn nasty quickly. I stayed true to a solid water change schedule, didn't overcrowd it, and kept it balanced and it never had a major crash. On the downside, I was always wanting more space for corals and fish, so that's the only true downside I see. My next tank might be a 3 gallon so there is definitely something special about keeping a small tank.

What's next?
No immediate plans to start a tank right away, but I already have everything purchased for a 3 gallon pico. Nice glass tank, LED Lighting, mini pump and heater, sand, really nice dry rock, salt, etc, etc. Pretty much just needs water and inhabitants. When I get that started I will be sure to start a new diary.

Thanks to everyone who has followed along in the early days!

Current Tank Info: 12 Gallon Aquapod

Last edited by saltman123; 06/22/2015 at 12:12 PM.
saltman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 12:08 PM   #79
BFisher244
Registered Member

congrats on surviving 8 years!

BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 01:33 PM   #80
saltman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher244 View Post
congrats on surviving 8 years!