Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2014, 09:05 PM   #1
custom58hd
Registered Member

Adding a tank in series/parallel

I have a 90 gallon reef with a 30 gallon sump/fuge.
I added another 30 tonight. I tapped off my return pump to run a low flow through this new 30. Right now the new 30 is just all glass with no sand or rock. My intent is to use it as a larger refugeum and maybe down the line a seahorse tank/fuge.
Now my question is if add live sand and rock to this tank should I isolate it to cycle? or is that not necessary?

Thank you

custom58hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2014, 09:32 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I wouldn't bother with live sand - what's in your system now will spread over soon enough. Dry clean rock will be ok too, but if you want to seed it with a piece of good fresh live rock it can't hurt. I wouldn't expect a cycle at all if you go that route.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2014, 09:47 PM   #3
alf1096
Registered Member

Like said above I would go all dry. Nothing to worry about and it will become live.

Unread 12/14/2014, 11:06 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Don't be adding uncured stuff to it, obviously, but no cycling required. It's no different than adding a piece of dry rock to the mains display. It will quickly be colonized.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2014, 07:54 AM   #5
custom58hd
Registered Member

Thanks all! I had a feeling going that way was the way to go, but just wanted some experienced opinions.

custom58hd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle aquarium, refuge/sump, seahorse